Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2005, 01:34 PM   #1

Radar Mounting Question

My passport SR7 radar detector arrived today that I bought off of e-bay. Although it recommends professional installation, I would like to try it myself. I figure with what I paid on ebay + the cost savings from installing it myself I might be able to save 50% off of the price of having it installed at an independent car audio shop.

My question is.... does anyone have any recommendations for hooking up the front radar sensor?

- I would be curious to know where you would recomend mounting the sensor
-Also what would be the best way to route the wire back into the passanger compartment.

I am sure I can figure something out, but wanted to ask to see if anyone had any really great/slick ideas for how to run the wire or mount the front sensor.

Thanks for the help. I will make sure to post pictures as soon as I get it installed. (Probably this weekend.)

--
1997 Boxster

bigwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:46 PM   #2

my suggestion is to put the sensor behind the rear view mirror and conceal the main in the dash (if the main unit and sensor are separable).
Old 11-28-2005, 04:55 PM   #3

http://www.passportsr1.com/sr7.htm

Here is the website for the detector. You can see there is two seperate pieces to mount. A front radar and a front lasar unit.

The two pieces measure as follows:

* Radar Receiver Unit: 3.75 x 3.15 x 1.75
* Front Laser Unit: 4.65 x 1.8 x .80

And here is a pic of the front radar sensor... So I think it is far to big to put behind the rear view mirror.
bigwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 05:14 PM   #4

It's pretty easy to mount it above and slightly to the right of the mirror. You can run the cable in the area above the mirror and down the right side. There are instructions somewhere on the rennlist site. Power is available via an RJ11 cable behind the climate control unit. Just tap into the green/black wire, attach the ground wire, and you'll be set. I did mine over the weekend.