Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #1

Alternative to Cycle Lever

I just finished dropping an Atlas lift into a recess in my garage floor. I am going to mount the pump / fluid reservoir on my front garage wall. As it comes from the factory, you must disengage a safety block to lower the lift by pulling on a cheesy bicycle brake lever. You can see it in action at the 53 second mark of this video:

Atlas TD6MR 6,000 LB. Capacity Portable Mid Rise Scissor Lift - YouTube

My question; I will still be using a bicycle brake cable to disengage the block but I wanted to utilize something more substantial / better than the incredibly crappy lever that came with the unit. Thought about an E-Brake handle but really doubt that would fly, any other ideas on levers / methods to be used?

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
I just finished dropping an Atlas lift into a recess in my garage floor. I am going to mount the pump / fluid reservoir on my front garage wall. As it comes from the factory, you must disengage a safety block to lower the lift by pulling on a cheesy bicycle brake lever. You can see it in action at the 53 second mark of this video:

Atlas TD6MR 6,000 LB. Capacity Portable Mid Rise Scissor Lift - YouTube

My question; I will still be using a bicycle brake cable to disengage the block but I wanted to utilize something more substantial / better than the incredibly crappy lever that came with the unit. Thought about an E-Brake handle but really doubt that would fly, any other ideas on levers / methods to be used?
i have the similar lift from HF. the lever works just fine. its not like you need to apply a lot of force to release the looking tab.
the way i use it is as follow.
i start the pump, and get the lift to the desired height, making sure i stop when i hear the tab clicks. i lower the lift until it stops (when it heats the locking tab).
to lower the lift, i will first lift it up couple of inches, press the release lever, and lower the lift.
if you will use an ebrake mechanism, you might forget it puled, and that is not safe in my book.
by the way awesome job on the pit. looks great.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #3

Perhaps a Campagnolo lever?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #4

Campagnolo Super Record - Carbon 11S
You won't find a more ergonomic, smooth, and precise lever for your lift.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by com3dorm3 View Post
Campagnolo Super Record - Carbon 11S
You won't find a more ergonomic, smooth, and precise lever for your lift.
Ummmmmm.....those are impressive bits, but the lift isn't quite that nice lol. Prices I found for such levers roughly equated to a third to a half of the cost of the entire lift.

Probably just upgrade to a higher quality lever of similar design as what it came with........
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:15 AM   #6

Garage
The Campy lever won't work any way. It's a "road" style lever that functions completely different from that of a MTN style one.