Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Never.

I love the purity of the 986. Its simple. It's perfectly balanced with incredible handling and is plenty fast. There might not be an better car to use to REALLY learn to drive.

The new Boxster's are just like the newer 911's - GT cruisers. Sure, they're faster but the car does all of the work for you - which ain't for me.

The perfect car for me would be a 986 GT-3 with a 3.8.
Same here, I do not like the look of the 987 inside or out, kinda like hanging fuzzy dice on the rearview mirror of a race car.

The perfect everyday car for me is a 986 with a big bore 3.6.

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
The perfect car for me would be a 986 GT-3 with a 3.8.
for track that would be insane. You'd be killing "non-chick cars" left right and left again.

But for the sreet. That might be a bit too much power for me. A beast! Or maybe it would turn the driver into a beast. Personally I think the Boxser Spyder hit the sweet spot. Lightweight. Not too much clutter. And at that weight 250'ish - 300'ish HP keeps it driver-oriented. I'm not one of these people who complains that a car doesnt "feel" fast because I'm unable to leave it in third gear and have the engine carry all of the driving. Even 310 HP might be getting a little too close to that point. Each time I drive an older car, like a an air-cooled Porsche or Miata I'm reminded of this.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #23

How often do you consider trading up to a newer Boxster?

I went into a big porsche dealer recently, and they had dozens upon dozens of new 911's, boxsters, etc on display. Was almost like a car show and amazing to see.

Too bad almost everything was near or over 100k!

rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote