Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 05:53 AM   #1
Homeboy981

Garage
HELP! IMS/Clutch Repair ????s

Hi All!

It has been a while since I have been able to post (or drive). Going through PCar withdraws!

It all happened a few weeks ago when I noticed my carpet (Yes - I have carpet in my garage) had a "drop of oil" from the tranny. Since then, the car has not moved.

From the looks of it NOT USING the car was the RIGHT thing to do.

Well, I pulled the tranny last night - talk about shoe-horning that thing in there! Whew! When I pulled it I was in for a surprise.

Here is the dusty tranny case…could it be an indication of IMS needing work? Let's see...

I was expecting it to be a little dirty inside, but what I found was this…is this NORMAL?

Here is the inside of the case a little closer….

Another dirty tranny shot…

This shows IMS peeking out…

Does the FACTORY IMS use this number system, or is this another IMS from somewhere else?

On a lighter note….@Meir was nice enough to lend me some tools to do the IMS/Clutch repairs (the guys ARE GREAT HERE!).

Here is a pic of the tool kit @Meir sent….it even included a triple-square thingy….

It even came in a nifty case….

Sooo…is all this grundge NORMAL?

Is this the ORIGINAL IMS from Porsche?

Old 03-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #2

Best guess...leaking rear main seal. Didn't see much to suggest IMS leak, but removing the the flywheel and the IMS flange will make that clearer. Sure looks like a Porsche part in there with the stamped part number.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #3

Garage
That looks like the OEM IMSB flange, you can see a part # on it. Make sure you rotate the engine clockwise ONLY until you can lock the engine at TDC & get that flywheel off. You most likely need a RMS also. What year is your car?
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
That looks like the OEM IMSB flange, you can see a part # on it. Make sure you rotate the engine clockwise ONLY until you can lock the engine at TDC & get that flywheel off. You most likely need a RMS also. What year is your car?
I have a 2002 S…. it has been a few weeks without it thus far. I don't know how you guys do without it ALL WINTER! Ouch!

All the instructions show the casings to be clean, aside from a little dust, so it got me worrying a little. We'll see how the rest of the surgery goes. "Pass the wrench please".

Any other "tricks" you guys can impart would be great. I have 5 different sets of instructions I am working from and the Bentley manual. So hopefully, I can get a new clutch, IMS, RMS, Tranny mounts, wheel bearings….all put back together and ready to hit the track when the weather turns!
Old 03-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
I have a 2002 S…. it has been a few weeks without it thus far. I don't know how you guys do without it ALL WINTER! Ouch!

All the instructions show the casings to be clean, aside from a little dust, so it got me worrying a little. We'll see how the rest of the surgery goes. "Pass the wrench please".

Any other "tricks" you guys can impart would be great. I have 5 different sets of instructions I am working from and the Bentley manual. So hopefully, I can get a new clutch, IMS, RMS, Tranny mounts, wheel bearings….all put back together and ready to hit the track when the weather turns!
IMS & RMS seals can leak, so it's not that unusual. Bently has a how to IMSB replacement video that is verbally endorsed by Jake Raby so watch that too. Since you have a 2001&up car your IMS chain tensioner should have the preload spring. After you lock engine @ TDC, & drain oil, remove the IMS tensioner & submerge it in new oil, & pump the plunger until old oil is purged & it's preloaded with new oil.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #6

That's OEM IMSB. The one that came out of my 04 S has the same part number: 99602401. good luck with the work.

Zedcat is offline   Reply With Quote