Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2014, 04:59 AM   #1

RIP Tom Magliozzi

Listened to Tom, with brother Ray (the "Tappet Brothers"), on Car Talk for years and years and years. The man was intelligent and witty on many levels and about widely varied subject matters, a philosopher and comedian and mechanic all rolled into one. And a laugh that made you laugh (or at least ) regardless of whether or not you 'got' the joke. Never met the guy, but I feel like I've lost a long-time near and dear friend.

If you're interested, NPR is doing a remembrance this afternoon at 2:00 today.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:39 AM   #2

That's sad; I really enjoy that program. I didn't realize I had been listening to re-runs since 2012.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:40 AM   #3

When their show went off the air I had to substantially modify my Saturday morning routine and Saturday mornings have never been as much fun since then. Always enjoyed their humor, their knowledge, and their deep appreciation of our relationship to our cars. RIP

Larry (the Bald Eagle)
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:00 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
That's sad; I really enjoy that program. I didn't realize I had been listening to re-runs since 2012.
Ya been that long great fun show was missed when they pulled it. It's sad how many good hosts and auto sport broad caster have passed in the last few years.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
When their show went off the air I had to substantially modify my Saturday morning routine and Saturday mornings have never been as much fun since then. Always enjoyed their humor, their knowledge, and their deep appreciation of our relationship to our cars. RIP

Larry (the Bald Eagle)
I was just thinking about how my saturday morning ritual, for over twenty years, has been to listen to car talk while puttering around the house, working on my car, even listening to it on headphones when I went out to lunch.

At least they still have re-runs im my area.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #6

I was driving my woman's car a few weeks ago and surfing the radio stations when I stumbled across the show on NPR. I had not heard them in at least 5 years, and also had no idea that I was listening to a rerun. Glad I refrained from attempting to call in...
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:28 AM   #7

Gonna Miss Tom

I always enjoyed their humor and down to earth approach. Can't believe they were both graduates of MIT. My condolences to Ray and the rest of the family.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #8

Very sad to hear. Damn Funny Guys!!! RIP
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #9

What a shock! I really hate to hear that. It was also a weekly tradition for me for over 20 years. Awesome guys with great outlook on life. And Tom's rants were always my favorite part of the show.
Have the Car Talk app on my phone so I can listen anytime I need to relax or have a good laugh.
RIP Tom, and thanks guys for the fun memories.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:02 AM   #10

That is a loss. I, too, listened to CAR TALK for years. My late father always had the show on the radio in his basement workshop or garage whenever I went over to his house on Saturdays to help out (or get help with) various projects. The good humor was infectious. And a welcome change of pace.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:32 AM   #11

Rip

I've finally got the kids used to the idea that they can't walk into the room and talk over the radio between 0900-1000h on Saturdays.
Their (Tom & Ray's) attitude, some mixture of benevolent father figure, wiseass,and experienced mechanic friend, was always good for a feel-good laugh.
And it was inter-generational, being one of the few programs that I and my late father could enjoy together.
I have missed the new programming, but will continue to enjoy the reruns, hopefully with Tom's blessing.

BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote