986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   RIP Tom Magliozzi (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54676)

Frodo 11-04-2014 04:59 AM

RIP Tom Magliozzi

Listened to Tom, with brother Ray (the "Tappet Brothers"), on Car Talk for years and years and years. The man was intelligent and witty on many levels and about widely varied subject matters, a philosopher and comedian and mechanic all rolled into one. And a laugh that made you laugh (or at least :) ) regardless of whether or not you 'got' the joke. Never met the guy, but I feel like I've lost a long-time near and dear friend.

If you're interested, NPR is doing a remembrance this afternoon at 2:00 today.

Joe B 11-04-2014 05:39 AM

That's sad; I really enjoy that program. I didn't realize I had been listening to re-runs since 2012.

Bald Eagle 11-04-2014 05:40 AM

When their show went off the air I had to substantially modify my Saturday morning routine and Saturday mornings have never been as much fun since then. Always enjoyed their humor, their knowledge, and their deep appreciation of our relationship to our cars. RIP

Larry (the Bald Eagle)

jsceash 11-04-2014 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe B (Post 423953)
That's sad; I really enjoy that program. I didn't realize I had been listening to re-runs since 2012.

Ya been that long great fun show was missed when they pulled it. It's sad how many good hosts and auto sport broad caster have passed in the last few years.

san rensho 11-04-2014 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bald Eagle (Post 423954)
When their show went off the air I had to substantially modify my Saturday morning routine and Saturday mornings have never been as much fun since then. Always enjoyed their humor, their knowledge, and their deep appreciation of our relationship to our cars. RIP

Larry (the Bald Eagle)

I was just thinking about how my saturday morning ritual, for over twenty years, has been to listen to car talk while puttering around the house, working on my car, even listening to it on headphones when I went out to lunch.

At least they still have re-runs im my area.

flaps10 11-04-2014 08:44 AM

I was driving my woman's car a few weeks ago and surfing the radio stations when I stumbled across the show on NPR. I had not heard them in at least 5 years, and also had no idea that I was listening to a rerun. Glad I refrained from attempting to call in...

schnellman 11-04-2014 10:28 AM

Gonna Miss Tom

I always enjoyed their humor and down to earth approach. Can't believe they were both graduates of MIT. My condolences to Ray and the rest of the family.

coreseller 11-04-2014 03:24 PM

Very sad to hear. Damn Funny Guys!!! RIP

Retroman1969 11-04-2014 10:51 PM

What a shock! I really hate to hear that. It was also a weekly tradition for me for over 20 years. Awesome guys with great outlook on life. And Tom's rants were always my favorite part of the show.
Have the Car Talk app on my phone so I can listen anytime I need to relax or have a good laugh.
RIP Tom, and thanks guys for the fun memories.

jotoole 11-05-2014 06:02 AM

That is a loss. I, too, listened to CAR TALK for years. My late father always had the show on the radio in his basement workshop or garage whenever I went over to his house on Saturdays to help out (or get help with) various projects. The good humor was infectious. And a welcome change of pace.

BrokenLinkage 11-05-2014 06:32 AM

Rip

I've finally got the kids used to the idea that they can't walk into the room and talk over the radio between 0900-1000h on Saturdays.
Their (Tom & Ray's) attitude, some mixture of benevolent father figure, wiseass,and experienced mechanic friend, was always good for a feel-good laugh.
And it was inter-generational, being one of the few programs that I and my late father could enjoy together.
I have missed the new programming, but will continue to enjoy the reruns, hopefully with Tom's blessing.