Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #1

986 Boxsters are great bargains - my view

As fellow car enthusiasts here, I am sure we all think about our cars much more than other people.

I happen to think the 986 Boxsters are a great bargain in the car world - given that you've given proper weight to the IMS issue. Everything else is simple car maintenance.

Having said that, I picked up my 986 late last year for about $13k, and it is a 2001 and had about 53,000 miles. Everything was pretty immaculate, and the car mechanically in good shape too.

Now, even if I did the LN upgrade, the car is still thousands less than most newer Porsches. I have driven a number of Boxsters and Cayman of various years, and my opinion is that for the price, up the the 2008 models, they are very similar in feel to the 986 Boxsters.

Interior upgrade aside, the chassis and overall feel of the car remains true in the 986 compared to the newer cars. Now, in the 2009 and beyond cars, I noticed much more of a change, which also ties in the PDK. Sure, a 987 feels a bit better on the road, but in general, the driving experience isn't that far off.

I am speaking from my driving perspective - it's not my daily or first car. I take it out often, and search for nice roads to constantly have it revved out. I find that I can take it to its limit fairly easy as it's not too fast, but feels exciting. That's the difference.

My BMW 335i is gobs more faster, but you cannot use it in the same manner, as you quickly have to brake or stop. For a daily, yes it is superior; but not for a fun car.

Honestly this was an experiment for me. I wanted to pick up an older Porsche and see if I like it, and driving manual. I kind of became shocked, that for the price and simplicity, I get massive fun and rewards.

I used to think the 335i was the bee's knees, but now, while I understand it is still a great car, it does not offer the driving experience the Porsche does.

Before 2009, it has to be manual. After that, I am still debating on whether a PDK has the same fun element. I think it will be a close call for me when I do decide to upgrade, but as I have only been a manual driver for 3 months, I am liking manual more and more. I am sure as my skills increase, I will eventually perhaps only choose it for a sports car.

Yes, I'm that guy who takes the car out and tries to perfect how smoothly I shift, how I downshift, and heel-toe. I want to feel like a real driver, darn it!

Last edited by rondocap; 02-27-2013 at 06:05 PM.
rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #2

Garage
Definitely a bargain. A high performance sports car for $13K can't be beat. You still have the costs associated with high performance but entry cost is low so the risk reward ratio is on the positive side IMO. Manual is the way to go for me. I've had manuals off and on for 35 years now so it's second nature. For me, it's a must have for a car like this. I don't even mind spending money on this car since the entry cost was so low. A lot of fun for the money
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #3

it's a bargain until it starts going in for major maintenance repairs. Afterall this car is "70% Carrera" by part number. Porsche like to charge a lot for their parts.
No Porsche is NOT expensive to keep long term even if you avoid the mod bug/addiction. Which changes the ownership math, and makes switching into something newer every couple of years probably the better move for someone who can enjoy their cars as is.

Personally, the best bang for the buck car for someone who is looking to improve their driving skill is a Miata. You can use all of its power all of the time, the engine is bullet proof and nearly maintance free, costs of mods are so ridiculuously cheap that its almost a crime --you can mod it all day long until its exactly how you want it and on a sunny day its as much fun as an old 911/912 but with an airbag or two. Sure its not big on power but neither are 9 in 10 Porsches in general.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-28-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #4

I agree. The Boxster is a great bargain. If you can do your own maintenance, it is a super bargain. The nice thing is that the 986 is a classic form.
thomasotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasotten View Post
I agree. The Boxster is a great bargain. If you can do your own maintenance, it is a super bargain. The nice thing is that the 986 is a classic form.
Mine is an 04 and people say it looks new still. The design still applies. Very smooth, luxury sports car. Mine was $15,500. Worth every penny.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #6

I've learned to do my own maintenance too - rewarding and you save a lot!
rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:30 AM   #7

Hello everyone, I couldn't agree more. Great value.

Just purchased a 2003 Boxster here in Toronto yesterday and can't wait for the snow to melt (and road salt to wash away!) so I can get it on the road. Although I am not mechanically inclined, my goal is to do some of the maitenance myself.

Stay tuned for trials and tribulations...
Lovinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:10 AM   #8
recycledsixtie

Garage
I agree the Boxster used is a great buy but when you come to sell many of us will take a bath ie. definitely be hard pressed to get what you paid for it. However there is an upside - if the engine blows up you can go out and buy another Boxster relatively cheaply. You can't say that about a 993.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:40 AM   #9

I agree, one of the best bargains out there; although, one has to understand some of the maintenance and repair costs

Todays 914 prices, for a nice one, exceed used Boxster prices and the 914 was last made in 1976. And the price of a 914-8 is a lot more...

jim_hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote