View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
rondocap

986 Boxsters are great bargains - my view

As fellow car enthusiasts here, I am sure we all think about our cars much more than other people.

I happen to think the 986 Boxsters are a great bargain in the car world - given that you've given proper weight to the IMS issue. Everything else is simple car maintenance.

Having said that, I picked up my 986 late last year for about $13k, and it is a 2001 and had about 53,000 miles. Everything was pretty immaculate, and the car mechanically in good shape too.

Now, even if I did the LN upgrade, the car is still thousands less than most newer Porsches. I have driven a number of Boxsters and Cayman of various years, and my opinion is that for the price, up the the 2008 models, they are very similar in feel to the 986 Boxsters.

Interior upgrade aside, the chassis and overall feel of the car remains true in the 986 compared to the newer cars. Now, in the 2009 and beyond cars, I noticed much more of a change, which also ties in the PDK. Sure, a 987 feels a bit better on the road, but in general, the driving experience isn't that far off.

I am speaking from my driving perspective - it's not my daily or first car. I take it out often, and search for nice roads to constantly have it revved out. I find that I can take it to its limit fairly easy as it's not too fast, but feels exciting. That's the difference.

My BMW 335i is gobs more faster, but you cannot use it in the same manner, as you quickly have to brake or stop. For a daily, yes it is superior; but not for a fun car.

Honestly this was an experiment for me. I wanted to pick up an older Porsche and see if I like it, and driving manual. I kind of became shocked, that for the price and simplicity, I get massive fun and rewards.

I used to think the 335i was the bee's knees, but now, while I understand it is still a great car, it does not offer the driving experience the Porsche does.

Before 2009, it has to be manual. After that, I am still debating on whether a PDK has the same fun element. I think it will be a close call for me when I do decide to upgrade, but as I have only been a manual driver for 3 months, I am liking manual more and more. I am sure as my skills increase, I will eventually perhaps only choose it for a sports car.

Yes, I'm that guy who takes the car out and tries to perfect how smoothly I shift, how I downshift, and heel-toe. I want to feel like a real driver, darn it!

Last edited by rondocap; 02-27-2013 at 06:05 PM.
rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote