Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #1

Is getting under the car for an oil change hard?

OK, so I've done a few things myself like the belt, brakes, filters, etc.

I know doing the actual oil change process and it is pretty easy too.

My biggest issue is that since I don't have a lift, it is a bit hard to get under the car. I was thinking of using ramps for the back wheels. How hard is it to access the filter and oil area?

I can't exactly see where it is, so I am not sure if I can reach it. I am not the most flexible person in the world so I am not sure if I have to roll under there or what, not too much clearance even with the ramps.

Can anyone clarify this step for me, or have any tips on the best and easiest way to reach the filter and oil plug?

And could I do it without ramps, and perhaps just the factory jack? (Maybe a jack stand to hold it safely in place too)

Last edited by rondocap; 02-27-2013 at 05:37 PM.
rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

I just jake it up and use jack stands but ramps can also work. Definitely no need for a lift (but very nice to have!). Easy to get underneath. The oil drain plug is right in the center of the bottom of the engine and the oil filter is right next to it. Easy breezy. If you were in LA, I'd come by and do it with you.

This DIY has lots of good pics: Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Oil Change - 986 / 987
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 02-27-2013 at 05:51 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #3

I feel more secure stretched out under a car raised on a set of ramps than I do under jack stands. But, I have learned caution over the years.

I use jack stands for jobs that don't require me to go under the car such as brake pad and spark plug changes.

I bought a set of Rhino Ramps and a pair of hard rubber wheel chocks a long time ago and they have paid for themselves many times. With a Boxster, the savings on one oil change more than pays for the ramps.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
Carnut

Ramps for me, works.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Once on the jack stands, I use the jack and spare wheels stacked front and rear as insurance. You can never be too safe.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Once on the jack stands, I use the jack and spare wheels stacked front and rear as insurance. You can never be too safe.
I agree. Jack stands are safe, but I like your "belt and suspenders" approach.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #7

Garage
Just did my first oil change on my 02 S. I used jack stands but also two floor jacks as security. It still scares the hell out of me under the car though it was stable as can be. I also replaced tranny mounts and its a bit unnerving when torquing real hard on a bolt when you are under there. I think I may buy some ramps just to feel a bit more secure. The oil change is a piece of cake, probably the easiest DIY other than a filter change. If you can get it in the air then you can definitely change the oil and filter.
1olddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #8

Garage
The oil change is pretty easy to do IF the oil plug is not over-torqued. I had serious problems getting the thing out the first time I did an oil change.
Also make sure that you have the special tool to remove the plastic oil filter housing, it can break easily. Use a torque wrench to reinstall the oil plug (with a fresh crush ring) and the oil filter.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:34 AM   #9
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I put one side of the car on level jackstands, then the other side. This way the oil flows a bit better out of the sump. I also keep a 3-ton floorjack under the car as well. I only have used my Rhino Ramps on my E320 (and older cars), but not on my Boxster yet.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:24 AM   #10

Garage
Does doing an oil change yourself really save money?

10 quarts of oil and a filter costs roughly $130. I haven't paid for one myself, but don't they usually run around $130-$150?
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
Does doing an oil change yourself really save money?

10 quarts of oil and a filter costs roughly $130. I haven't paid for one myself, but don't they usually run around $130-$150?
I remember when I first got my Boxster and took it to the dealer for an oil change and air filters.

The cost was almost $600.00

So yes doing it yourself saves quite a bit over the life of your car.
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #12

Reference the cost of a do-it-yourself oil & filter change

1. I use Mobile 1. Usually 15W50 or 10W40 High Mileage.

2. I purchase the oil in the 5 quart jugs from Walmart at $25.00 a jug.

3. I purchase the filter & washer from Pelican parts (about .50 cents for the washer and about $11.00 for the filter).

4. Yes, it is significantly cheaper to do it yourself.

MNC-I
mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #13

Fore me I prefer ramps. It's much easier than jack and jack stands.

I think most of us do it ourselves not just to save money but more of a satisfaction of knowing we're doing this right with care. At least this is why I do it.
Besides I really do not trust other doing it for me unless i'm there watching what they pour in to fill and how much oil they put in. One of our biggest problems is oil overfill which causes AOS to go out.

Do a survey to those that had this go out. I estimate half of them will say it's right after their oil change.

When I drain my oil i look at everything I have access to under the car. I also let the oil drain as long as needed. If I see oil still dripping I leave it alone and let it darin. Even if it takes more than 1 hr.

When I fill I use the same amount that came out, do a test drive and re-check my oil level before adding anymore.

I guarantee you that no shop will do this for an oil change. Time is money for them.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #14

vs. going to my independent mechanic, I don't find it all that cheaper to DIY since I'm not buying Mobil 1 and stopped doing so once the car hit 50K miles.
And going forward as the engine gets older, I'll be protecting it with more expensive fill (Motul, Redline, JG, etc.). I'll also be adding the spin on filter which they don't give away for free with every 5 quart jug. My mechanic doesn't make money on the oil/filter, I usually provide. So I'm paying $20-$30 for the convenience, and generally I have the oil changed when other things are being worked on in their shop.

I'd say the advantage to DIY is that you can drain the oil overnight and get out all the old stuff.
The dealer or mechanic will only let it drain for an hour or so.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-28-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #15

Can you fit two sets of ramps under the car, or do you need one set of ramps and one set of stands to do the job?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #16

Anyone ever use an oil extractor? Feedback?
If they work, it would be a lot cleaner.

Motive Products Power Extractor Allows Easy Evacuation of Engine Oil, Transmission Fluid, Brake Fluid and other Fluids : Amazon.com : Automotive

Amazon.com: Mityvac (MITMV7400) 7.3 Liter Fluid Evacuator: Automotive
Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #17

I'm sure there's good use for this but for normal oil changes I would prefer to drain the oil. If I overfilled the oil this will be a good clean method to bring the oil level down.

This method will extract the oil but it will leave more used oil in the system than draining the oil. I'm sure most will not be satisfied with this.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnowles View Post
Can you fit two sets of ramps under the car, or do you need one set of ramps and one set of stands to do the job?
You can only fit one pair of ramps since you really can't fit another set of ramps on the front wheels under the car.

When using a ramp, I back it in. My driveway has a slight incline to the street.

I back in to the ramp and I also use a piece of 2x4 for the front wheel.

Where in So Cal are you?
I also do oil changes for my Son In-Law 03 S so i bought a cheap ramp from Pep boys. Works perfectly fine.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #19

I'm in the Cochella Valley - Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Indio area.

I thought there wasn't room for two sets of ramps, but wanted to be sure when I saw the word "ramps" I wasn't sure. In the past, I've found the same thing. One set of low ramps and one set of stands will usually get it in the right spot. But if I could have just used two sets of ramps that would have made it a LOT easier. I'm looking to do my first oil change in the next couple of weeks.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #20
Carnut

Oil extractor does not work.