Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #21

To answer your original question,

It is not hard if you do it like this:

Disclaimer: That jack stand shown under rear suspension is not holding up any weight of the car. It is there just in case the main jacks on the jack points fail.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #22

Garage
I have always changed my own oil & filter to insure the most old oil gets out & pre fill the new filter with new oil to minimize time for new oil to circulate. This prevents oil light from coming on during initial startup.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #23

Garage
not hard for me, I bought a lift. Best investment you can make.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #24

Dig a hole in your yard, about 2 feet wide. Park over it.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #25

My 5,000 mile oil change (Castrol Full Synthetic) is coming up, so exactly how deep should the hole be?

And will the city inspector require a permit to be pulled.
Speedster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #26

ByProDriver,

How is the plenum upgrade going?

PM me or call (714) 213-9911, so we can hook up, I'm very interested in the extra 'S' intake manifold.

I live in OC
Speedster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyA6 View Post
Oil extractor does not work.
Really? How did you come to this conclusion? Folks can debate the merits of vacuuming oil vs a traditional drain, but I assure it works, even on a 986 (though I'd not recommend it as there is the potential for getting the hose stuck).
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
Really? How did you come to this conclusion? Folks can debate the merits of vacuuming oil vs a traditional drain, but I assure it works, even on a 986 (though I'd not recommend it as there is the potential for getting the hose stuck).
I will say it has worked great on my other cars. I do it hot and suck it out. Can change the oil & filter in a suit in the current BMW as the filter is on top of the engine. I have 3 different sized lines for my extractor, but will go the manual method before I even try it and inspect afterwords. Also, don't use a crappy extractor..it won't work on cars it is meant for, either. On the BMW, it leaves it bone dry. I pulled the plug and not a drop. I think the key is that the oil HAS to be hot. I wouldn't expect the same results from cooler oil. That being said, I'm not going to risk it for now....
reiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #29
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
I bought a set of Rhino Ramps and a pair of hard rubber wheel chocks a long time ago and they have paid for themselves many times. With a Boxster, the savings on one oil change more than pays for the ramps.
I love my Rhinos. Had 'em for years.
My driveway has just enough slope that the Boxster sits level with the rear of the car backed up on the ramps. Yeah, it's a little cozier than working under my Accord DD, but it's not like I'm camping out under the car, just spinning off the filter housing and unscrewing the drain plug and buttoning it back up.
It would be great if I could convince the wife I really need a 4-post lift, but I've got a feeling it would be a tough sell...

Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote