Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #1

Litronic in my future

Ah, the joys & pains of eBay. Surprising enough, I managed to pick up a set of Litronic headlights from ebay with the wiring harness and computer control. Are there any additional parts need to fully upgrade the 1999 Boxster I own?

I've seen a few references to sensors on the shock springs (I think) and themounting plate for the lights (actuator)?

Thanks.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:05 PM   #2

My car came from factory with litronics option. When I replaced the suspensions, found there are 2 sensors attached to lower control arm (driver side font and rear). Not too sure if those 2 control arms travel sensors are for litronics or for something else.
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #3

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by laphan View Post
My car came from factory with litronics option. When I replaced the suspensions, found there are 2 sensors attached to lower control arm (driver side font and rear). Not too sure if those 2 control arms travel sensors are for litronics or for something else.
Factory installed litronics have a self leveling feature that is controlled by the two sensors mentioned in the quote. The challenge in upgrades is to install the wiring to add this feature. Search the forum for angle sensors for more information.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses. I'll have to do a little more researh and see what I can come up with and if it is viable to do as an add-on. I'm just glad I'll be able to see better at night. With the stock lights everthing turns black about 60 feet in front of the car (without the highs one).
Old 02-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #5

Garage
Only the factory installed Litronics have the leveling feature. The retro-kits do not offer this feature. They are merely plug and play units that include an optional "module", that when installed, simply rotates the low beams upward to assist the highs.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 02-18-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #6

JD, thanks for the input. What I actually purcahsed was not an upgrade kit, but the OEM parts. The eBay listing is at 99 01 Porsche 996 97 04 Boxster Xenon Headlight Assembly with Harness | eBay and it includes two lights, original harness, and computer. I was wondering if I purchased the remaining parts if I could upgrade to OEM specifications. FWIW, I do have a PST2 available.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnowles View Post
JD, thanks for the input. What I actually purcahsed was not an upgrade kit, but the OEM parts. The eBay listing is at 99 01 Porsche 996 97 04 Boxster Xenon Headlight Assembly with Harness | eBay and it includes two lights, original harness, and computer. I was wondering if I purchased the remaining parts if I could upgrade to OEM specifications. FWIW, I do have a PST2 available.
Perhaps others more knowledgeable than me will chime in, but assuming that's a set of factory Litronics that were extracted from a vehicle, I'm guessing that trying to replicate the self leveling feature will be no easy task.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
I'm guessing that trying to replicate the self leveling feature will be no easy task.
Me too. First thing I'll have to find out is if the non-Litronic vehicles have the appropriate wire pigtails to plug in the additional parts. Even if I can't though, it'll still be a major improvement in the lighting.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnowles View Post
Me too. First thing I'll have to find out is if the non-Litronic vehicles have the appropriate wire pigtails to plug in the additional parts. Even if I can't though, it'll still be a major improvement in the lighting.
Absolutely, if nothing else you'll have Litronics ! Who cares about the leveling feature .
Old 02-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #10

JD is right - who cares... I drove for 18 months before I realized the self-leveling feature had stopped working. A repair shop had put the rear sensor in backward so the car thought it was traveling down the road upside down. Too funny
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #11

Garage
can anybody tell be if the Bosch litronic assemblies will just plug into the existing headlight harnes if you have halogen lamps from the factory on a 2001 S. I know they won't level or adjust then but from what I have read, I would just plug a set in first if I can and not worry about the tilt upgrade module and harness unless the lighting spread is not acceptable.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #12
soucorp

Garage
litronics simple plug n play

My car came with the oem halogens, so i went on ebay and picked up a pair of OEM Litronics, read about how they were P&P, and sure enough, very easy. Remove the old, plug the Litrtonics in, you dont need anything else. It is true that the self leveling does not work but my lights work fine without the leveling and both hi/low are working fine. I don't think you have anything to worry about, nice simple upgrade but be prepared to spend about $1k for a pair used.

And yes, my car was green, now its Sport Classic dove gray, lovin it!

Best,
Mike

soucorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #13

I have OEM Litronics in my 1997 (installed in 2005) with the control module installed. It only rotates the lamps up with the high beams and does not do dynamic leveling like the cars that were ordered with Litronics have.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #14

What's the going rate for litronics now? The last time I checked it seemed like folks were paying $1000 or more for a decent set. My headlights are starting to have some small brown spots and an upgrade may be in order.

By the way, my car was manufactured on 9-11-1999 so today is its 14th birthday.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #15

I am seeing sets for upwards of $2400...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #16

On second thought, maybe I'm OK with a few brown spots.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:12 AM   #17
soucorp

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
I am seeing sets for upwards of $2400...
If you look to buy a pair set, it will be over $1k. I ended up buying a left, then a right side all used at ~$470 a piece from eBay. That's the smart prudent way.
Was going to sell my old set, but decided to give it to a friend for free.

Best
Old 09-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soucorp View Post
If you look to buy a pair set, it will be over $1k. I ended up buying a left, then a right side all used at ~$470 a piece from eBay. That's the smart prudent way.
Was going to sell my old set, but decided to give it to a friend for free.

Best
I have thought of doing that but I fear ending up with a set that has uneven wear.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #19

Garage
Great news, Thanks for the info and your 986 looks
Quote:
Originally Posted by soucorp View Post
My car came with the oem halogens, so i went on ebay and picked up a pair of OEM Litronics, read about how they were P&P, and sure enough, very easy. Remove the old, plug the Litrtonics in, you dont need anything else. It is true that the self leveling does not work but my lights work fine without the leveling and both hi/low are working fine. I don't think you have anything to worry about, nice great too!
And yes, my car was green, now its Sport Classic dove gray, lovin it!

Best,
Mike

Old 09-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #20
soucorp

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Nettgen View Post
Great news, Thanks for the info and your 986 looks
Good luck, if you find a pair online, go for it but make sure you verify from the seller that the bixenons have been tested and works.

Best