Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #1

2012 Boxster S- Access to Front Engine Cover

Brand spakin new to the Porsche Family....just picked up a 2012 Boxster S, but am having trouble living with a car whose engine I cannot see just by popping the front hood....Have been real busy online and have found out how to do most everything maintenancewise, except take off the front upholstered cover behind the seats to access the sheet metal plate at the front of the engine...In some videos they refer to easily visible clips, etc...In my case there is nothing easily visible...Do I have to first remove the upper cover containing the radio speaker first? (as if I was gaining access to the top of the engine) or am I just missing something...

Thanks far any info you can provide

Tom C.

Black Edition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #2

IIRC you have to pull up the top carpet to access the clips for the front access panel.
Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Drive Belt Replacement - 986 / 987
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #3

Thanks Steve but

1. Where do I hang that strap that is supposed to hold back the top (do I need a skyhook or something?) and

2. The upper carpet cover comes off in one piece by releasing all four anchors???..or does the top forward section come off alone by releasing only two??

Thanks

Tom C
Black Edition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #4

This should help: 987 Air Filter Replacement - Rennlist Discussion Forums

You may be able to just release the front two carpet clips, and lift it enough to get to the other fasteners, I haven't tried that. I'm a bit rusty, I only see my engine once a year during the oil change!

stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote