Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #1

Spoiler Control Indicator Switch

I purchased this from a Germany eBay seller for $90 shipped. It is pretty cool. You can manually operate the spoiler from the switch which installs on the dash and matches the other switches there. When the spoiler is down, the light is unlit. As it raises or lowers it blinks and when it is fully raised the red light stays lit.

This may seem unnecessary, but in Los Angeles you can go from under 55 MPH to over 75 MPH numerous times during a commute. With this I can easily manually raise it and when I am parking I am reminded to lower it due to the red light.

Spoiler Control Indicator Switch Porsche Carrera Turbo 4S Boxster s 986 996 | eBay

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
That's a neat little toy, and apparently really easy to hook up.
It's on my things-I-want-when-I-have-money-left-after-fixing-all-the-broken-stuff-list.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:21 AM   #3

Garage
Chuck. I also thought that was a very nice upgrade and ordered two for the 986 and the 996 since you can not see the spoiler on either of them from inside. They came with very detailed instructions, but when I tried to install the one in the boxster I could not get the wires to make contact in the dash connectors. The little blades on the wires that slide down beside the existing wires don't seem long enough to get in far enough to make contact. I made several emails to the seller in germany and he seemed to try to be helpful, but basicly just told me to do what was already indicated in the printed instructions, which already was not working.
Did you have any problems getting yours to make contact and do you have any tips. After several tries and no success on the boxster I just gave up and have not tried the 996 yet. I suppose I could splice into the appropriate wires back behind the dash connectors, but I really do not want to do that. It just appears to me that the small flat blades on the wire ends are about 1/4 inch too short to make contact.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Did you have any problems getting yours to make contact and do you have any tips. After several tries and no success on the boxster I just gave up and have not tried the 996 yet. I suppose I could splice into the appropriate wires back behind the dash connectors, but I really do not want to do that. It just appears to me that the small flat blades on the wire ends are about 1/4 inch too short to make contact.
Even though the install is straight forward, it was challenging. I had no success my first attempt and tried to tap into the wires as they left the connector, but for some reason this did not work either. By the time I was done with my first attempts I had broken off two of the tips from the wires. I sent the unit back to Germany and the seller sent me a new one. This time I took my time and straighten out all of the wires in the connector (they make a 90 degree turn as they come out of the connector). I installed the green wires first as they are the most difficult. The other three are pretty easy. They simply slide in on the outside portion of the connector.

I think the key is the straighten out of the wires so you can see what your doing and taking your time.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD

Last edited by Chuck W.; 02-10-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #5

Garage
sounds like it was almost as frustrating for you as it was for me. I will try it again some day when I have more patience and feel up to the challenge.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #6

Garage
Earlier today I installed the version that simply functions as an indicator. The green wire is certainly the hardest of the lot because the two wires on it are a heavier gauge. I understand why they used a beefier gauge wire, but it made things more difficult. The other wires installed easily. Chuck's tip is a good one.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #7

I installed mine last week as per the instructions and it was a simple install. It works great.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #8

Having some mysterious alignment trouble with my spoiler...this switch would help! I actuate it up manually but it retracts on its own somehow..
Old 05-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #9

I installed the spoiler switch in my 2004 eight years ago. As you see in the photo below, my switch doesn't have an indicator light, just an icon on one side of the button showing the spoiler raised, and one on the other side showing it lowered. Works like a charm and was very easy to install.

Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
I installed the spoiler switch in my 2004 eight years ago. As you see in the photo below, my switch doesn't have an indicator light, just an icon on one side of the button showing the spoiler raised, and one on the other side showing it lowered. Works like a charm and was very easy to install.

You have no indication if it is up or down?
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
You have no indication if it is up or down?
Nope, which is why I had my wife drive behind me one day to verify that the spoiler does, in fact, raise on its own when I reach a certain speed. I have used the switch to raise the spoiler manually, but if I am going too slowly it eventually lowers on its own.

Mostly I just use the switch to raise the spoiler when I am cleaning the car.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #12

I just ordered that switch; I'm not sure what green wire the previous posts are referring to...
jim_hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:14 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_hoyland View Post
I just ordered that switch; I'm not sure what green wire the previous posts are referring to...
It's part of the supplied harness. You'll understand when you do the installation.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:21 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Having some mysterious alignment trouble with my spoiler...this switch would help! I actuate it up manually but it retracts on its own somehow..

I raise mine manually on occasion, sometimes it's still up when I finish my drive, and sometimes it has lowered on its own. I think it has something to do with the speed of the drive but I am not sure what. Maybe if you surpass 75 on the drive it will then lower at 55.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:26 PM   #15
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
It goes up at 75mph, and goes down at 50mph. I installed the a dash switch, but rarely use it. It's mostly for showing off, or if I have someone following me. It's hard to miss the giant red, 'PORSCHE,' logo on my spoiler.

Also, a note on the install, the little wires you insert into the instrument cluster plug are very fragile, be careful not to bend one.

Last edited by rick3000; 12-13-2014 at 01:29 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
It goes up at 75mph, and goes down at 50mph. I installed the a dash switch, but rarely use it. It's mostly for showing off, or if I have someone following me. It's hard to miss the giant red, 'PORSCHE,' logo on my spoiler.

Also, a note on the install, the little wires you insert into the instrument cluster plug are very fragile, be careful not to bend one.
It'so not wired directly to the footwell switch ? Curious
Old 12-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #17
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The spoiler indicator is wired to the instrument cluster, the spoiler switch is wired to the footwell switch. The indicator is just a light that turns on when the spoiler is up, the switch actually controls raising/lowering the spoiler.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
The spoiler indicator is wired to the instrument cluster, the spoiler switch is wired to the footwell switch. The indicator is just a light that turns on when the spoiler is up, the switch actually controls raising/lowering the spoiler.
Thanks; I get it now
Old 12-14-2014, 02:07 AM   #19

Hi All.
Been reading this thread with interest I also have installed the German soured indicator switch i.e., when it’s going up it flashes the Red light and stays on permanently while it’s up, but then flashes when it is on it’s way down, then it stays off, just to clear up what I think might confuse people this is not a rocker switch that “Allen” has installed; that switch is off a 996 turbo and dose work as a rocker switch, I have installed both a few years ago, they work fine and yes the indicator light switch is a fiddle job but doable with minor mechanical/electrical knowledge.

With the rocker switch you can put the spoiler up at any time, but when you do this manually it will stay up until you manually put it down using the rocker switch, it will not come down at 50 MPH automatically, however you can retract the spoiler with the switch at 60 MPH for some reason you don’t have to wait for your speed to drop to 50, well mine dose anyway.
Just for those of you wondering the bottom switch is for my DRL.
Guvs.
Guvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:44 AM   #20

DRL ? What is DRL...