Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #1

IMS condition update

I just had my IMS bearing replaced and I thought I would post the condition. MY car is a 99 and it had the dual row bearing. I had 92000 miles on the car and the last 2000 miles were track only miles as I took the car off the road and trailered it to the track. Presently I am preparing it for the Spec class and we were installing the comp clutch and al. flywheel. The bearing was in excellant shape. My mechanic cleaned it up and we tried to find some irregular rotating problems but there were no "bad spots" that we could find. My oil change interval was apx. 3/4 thousand. I installed the Pelican bearing and did not go for the ceramic bearing. That's it, I thought it might be of some interest. BH, Pgh, PA

wmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #2

Just makes you wonder why they got rid of dual row bearings... Mine came out at 69K miles (hard miles) and it was spotless.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #3

Thanks for posting that info...good to know.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #4

The dual row bearings seem to hold up better than the single row and from what's I've read, the also give some warning before they fail, as opposed to the single row that tends to give no warning before they grenade.

LN has not had a single failure of the ceramic dual row bearings and only a handful of the single row. The "ultimate solution" from LN only applies to single row bearings, the dual row is so robust they don't make a "solution" for the double row.

My car was built in 7/99 so I'm hoping I have the double row. At 131k miles, I'm just going to wait until I need a clutch to replace the IMSB, but I do check the oil filter halfway through the oil change interval to check for metal and do UOAs to hopefully get some advance warning.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000