Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #1

Garage
Does rust beget rust?

3 or 4 weeks ago I finally put away the car. Gassed it up, aired up the tires, and washed it nice. Yesterday, I noticed my rotors were rusted up as they usually are after a wash, but after driving they are all good. Didn't drive it last time. Just washed it and put it in the garage. Should I worry?

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #2

No. That's normal.
MConte05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #3

Garage
So I'll be all good in 2-3 months when I am able to drive again?
Old 02-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #4

One hard stop and they will gleam like chrome................
Old 02-05-2013, 05:31 AM   #5

Garage
I realize the surface rust on the rotors is normal and it goes away with a quick drive. The problem is I won't be able to do any type of driving for several months. My question is, will the surface rust on my rotors turn into a deeper problem over the next couple months?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #6

Storage shouldn't lead to pitting of the rotors. Like you, after a car wash I will notice that the rotors are orange with surface rust and, also like you, it disappears after the first use. I stored my car after driving it so that there was no surface rust on the rotors; 2 1/2 months later they are still shiney even though my car is stored in an unheated garage. I wouldn't worry about it.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
noneoftheabove

Absolutely nothing to worry about. My RUF does the exact same thing. Upon getting the car out for the first time the brakes may be ceased on just a little, again, nothing to worry about. When you first move you'll notice that the car feels like the ebrake is still engaged, give it the littlest throttle blip while in gear and the brakes will let go. Everything from there on will work normally!

Hope this has helped! Lucas.
RoadsideStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #8

Garage
Eases my find for sure. Thought I was going to have to take off the wheels, "sand" down the rotors, then use brake cleaner followed by some sort of light petroleum product to prevent further damage. With a serious lack of room in my garage during the winter months, that would turn into a huge project.

Thanks all.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #9

It would probably help if you left the handbrake (e-brake in your speak) in the off position after a wash - it's not only the pads/discs that rust together, but also the little handbrake shoes that can freeze if left in the on position.
I inveriably leave my handbrake off when the car has just been washed or driven in the rain.....
Old 02-06-2013, 04:06 AM   #10

Garage
Good call. Never thought about that. Should be no problem as I use one of these...