Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #21

Pop the front bonnet, remove the plastic cover that sits on the battery, grab a flash light and have a look around the back and you will notice two drain holes one on each side. Sometimes they get blocked up with dirt and leaves. Grab a clothes hanger put some tape on the end of it so it doesn't damage anything and poke it down the holes clearing all the dirt and grime out.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
I use a kitchen mesh strainer over the drain holes in the middle of the car, under the top mechanism. Withjout a mesh covering, the holes will get full of small leaves and clog but you won't be able to see the clog like you do in the drain holes in the frunk. The small one work the best.

4-1/2 in. Mesh Kitchen Strainer in Stainless-Steel-88822 at The Home Depot
Well, after a few months of using this, I can't recommend it. The wire mesh is very fine and gets clogged with dirt and the water doesn't drain. Got a little water behind the driver seat today. Live and learn.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #23

Garage
It might be a good idea to familiarize yourself with all the drain locations on the car. Start front to back, in the front bonnet and work your way to the back. Sounds as if the rears are clogged. Put the top half way down and you will clearly see the drain holes. The important thing to be careful of here is the computer under the drivers seat. If it gets wet, and shorts out, it is very expensive to replace. This is actually how I got my Boxster, the previous owner had this happen to him. I got the car with a new computer, then had that replaced as well when Porsche couldn't code the keys to the new computer.

Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote