Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #1

Latest Panorama issue

I received my copy at the beginning of the week. Thinking it would be just as lousy as it has since I receive my first copy in 2004, I skimmed the pages and made my way to the classifieds to drool over preowned cars I can't afford... and then I read an article. All the way through too!

And then--gasp!--I read another one!

So I searched the front pages to find out the editor's name and lo and behold, an editor from Excellence has taken over for the old lady who had the lead editor position for 30 YEARS (she should have retired a loooooong time ago in my opinion).

In his letter from the Editor, he said there would be small changes to the content and the physical size of the magazine would grow to a more normal size mid year and that all the changes would be evolutionary (read minor and slowly implemented).

Of course, I had to fire off an email to him and tell him that having two interesting articles to read in one issue isn't evolutionary for Panorama, but REVOLUTIONARY and to keep up the great work.

BTW, I also told him that if he ever wanted to do a story on what may be the most repaired boxster in the USA, I'd be happy to let him interview me and take pix of my car... an idea he said he actually liked! That, of course, came from his Excellence roots. PCNA would never allow him to give anyone the impression that our cars require a lot of maintenance when they're 8-10 years old or more and the parts are crappy and wear out prematurely, but it was a nice thought. (I think I'll write the article and send it in to Excellence where it may actually get published.)

All this to say, if you've sworn off even opening the envelope when your copy of Panorama comes in, give it another look. The article on the last slantnose turbo to leave the factory with leather everything (even the freaking tailpipe is leather clad!) is worth a read.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #2

Garage
FYI Pete Stout was the Editor in Chief of Excellence for over a decade.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #3

I just had the same experience as Randall. I opened the envelope expecting the same old Pano and low and behold, it was actually interesting to read. Good to know it wasn't a fluke and the magazine will continue to improve.
linklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #4

Garage
Just got mine today & did my usual flip through scan expecting the same thing & figuring I would read it while the paint dried on my calipers since it would be about as entertaining. But there where quite a few things that caught me eye, this may be the first issue I read everything cover to cover.
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #5

Garage
I loved the everything wrapped in leather 911 article. My 11 yr old daughter even liked it! Whole new experience already.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #6

Just joined PCA and was surprised how uninteresting the magazine was until this last issue. I loved the piece on the 944 African adventure. BTW, did I read correctly that the all leather 911 had only a few dozen miles on it? There was also some vague mention about a speedo swap or something wasn't there. Anyway, this certainly was a car to show and not drive, unlike that recent plain 996 job here.
teleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:43 AM   #7
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I haven't received my issue of Panorama yet. I'm hoping it'll arrive today.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:38 AM   #8

it would be revolutionary if they simply offered an online version...

Newsweek recently became the first national magazine to stop selling a print version altogether.
Digital copies to your kindle/tablet/phone only. I have to agree, for instance if a new book is only offered in hardcopy I skip it. I'm done with finding room in the house for stacks of old magazines and books.

I think I've read Panorama once. If it were offered online, I doubt that would have been the case all these years. If it actually had interesting articles readership would be high enough to attract some ad spending. Excellence needs to get with the program too.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
I(I think I'll write the article and send it in to Excellence where it may actually get published.)

All this to say, if you've sworn off even opening the envelope when your copy of Panorama comes in, give it another look. The article on the last slantnose turbo to leave the factory with leather everything (even the freaking tailpipe is leather clad!) is worth a read.
Thanks for the kind words, all. It's been a while since I sold my Boxster, so I had to jump through a few hoops to open this forum account back up!

Randall, it would be a real pity to see the story we discussed go elsewhere — especially for fear that Panorama won't publish it. Of course, I will respect whatever you choose to do, but I'll commit to publishing a truthful story on your experience here and now, whether it's written by you or I assign a pro. One of my favorite photographers out of Atlanta is already looking at how to make meeting up with you happen. The good news is he travels far and wide, and often — and loves your home state... The fact I like the way your car looks as much as I do will only make it more painful to lose the piece.

I really appreciate the enthusiasm for the January issue I'm seeing here, and can't wait until you receive the February issue. Would be good to get some Boxster content into the book this year past new-car reviews...so how about it, Randall?

Cheers!

Pete

Last edited by horizontally-opposed; 01-31-2013 at 09:29 AM.
horizontally-opposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
it would be revolutionary if they simply offered an online version...

Newsweek recently became the first national magazine to stop selling a print version altogether.
Digital copies to your kindle/tablet/phone only. I have to agree, for instance if a new book is only offered in hardcopy I skip it. I'm done with finding room in the house for stacks of old magazines and books.

I think I've read Panorama once. If it were offered online, I doubt that would have been the case all these years. If it actually had interesting articles readership would be high enough to attract some ad spending. Excellence needs to get with the program too.
Tablet version is on the way...scheduled to debut when the redesigned/reformatted magazine does.

Your voices have been heard, and a business or club that doesn't listen isn't doing itself any favors, either.

Pete (Stout)
horizontally-opposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:31 AM   #11
Certified Boxster Addict

I'll admit that I would never want to be in charge of Panorama. Seems like an impossible task to please such a diverse group of demanding car owners.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by horizontally-opposed View Post
Tablet version is on the way...scheduled to debut when the redesigned/reformatted magazine does.

Your voices have been heard, and a business or club that doesn't listen isn't doing itself any favors, either.

Pete (Stout)
Cool. Thanks. Can't tell you how many times I've gone digging through a huge stack of Excellence issues to find one article. Seems crazy not to have it all in one database/website. That would become my #1 visited web page.

p.s.
Christophorus from Germany is/was one of the best Porsche magazines. I think it's the last actual print magazine subscription I had. Everything else is digital.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-31-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #13
midlifechrisis

Transformation: "excellence" brought to Panorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by horizontally-opposed View Post
Thanks for the kind words, all. It's been a while since I sold my Boxster, so I had to jump through a few hoops to open this forum account back up!

Randall, it would be a real pity to see the story we discussed go elsewhere — especially for fear that Panorama won't publish it. Of course, I will respect whatever you choose to do, but I'll commit to publishing a truthful story on your experience here and now, whether it's written by you or I assign a pro. One of my favorite photographers out of Atlanta is already looking at how to make meeting up with you happen. The good news is he travels far and wide, and often — and loves your home state... The fact I like the way your car looks as much as I do will only make it more painful to lose the piece.

I really appreciate the enthusiasm for the January issue I'm seeing here, and can't wait until you receive the February issue. Would be good to get some Boxster content into the book this year past new-car reviews...so how about it, Randall?

Cheers!

Pete
Ditto on the complements, really enjoyed the article!. I've only been an Porsche owner for abut 4 years, beginning with a 914 i've been restoring, and a year ago my 2000 boxster s- which is now my DD.

I know the comments here have been mirrored by the 914world forum guys(and gals) as well. Porsche made a lot of cars besides the 911, and while it is iconic, those other cars- 944, 928, 356, 914, 986 etc make up quite a diverse group of owners. And that means there are an infinite number of stories behind those cars and owners! and this magazine was a great start in that direction.

I will bet your years at Excellence has exposed you to many cars and owners that you have enough ideas for the next 5 years of editions!. Keep the variety, looking forward to some 914, 912, 928, 944 stories too!! there are some great survivors out there we all would love to see and hear more about!.

I think we all have enjoyed the beginning of the transformation to make the Panorama magazine more relevant again!! Keep up the good work.

Phil
Drphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #14

Pete, if you think it will fly at Panorama, it's all yours! That was my only concern.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote