Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 05:29 AM   #1

Driving holiday through European countries

Due to expensive repairs and costs in my first 6 months of ownership I'm under pressure from my other half to part with my Boxster maybe after a year and put money towards wedding, house, etc - all the boring things basically!
It got me thinking that I need to do some serious driving in it to get the most from it and have great memories when the time comes to part. I really like the idea of doing a 10-14 day tour in the summer probably over my 30th birthday to add to the celebration across some nice scenic roads in Europe. Only done some very brief searches on the Internet and France, Germany & Switzerland all look like good options. Will only have time to do one country I imagine in the time frame getting the ferry from the UK to the driving destination. Posting to see if anyone on here has done this and good tips, places to visit with the all important open roads with great views and nice towns to stop at along the way?

ajclarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #2

I am currently stationed in Germany and have been here for the past 5 years. My wife is the type that never sits still, so I have been all over the place here. Switzerland by far is the most beautiful.... And most expensive, and most restrictive on the driving experience.

My advice would be this. To make this the best his/hers experience, take the ferry over and head directly to Nurburgring. Spend a day at/on the track. Next morning, head to a little secret called "Bingen am Rhein." There you can take a day cruise on the Rhein to St Goar (take 1-way) and train it back. It is cheap for what you get and you can sit back drinking beer and wine and watch castles on the Rhein. Then over to Hockenheim if the track is open. Next Rothenberg ob der Tauber. Spent the night there and do the night watchman tour - it is awesome. Then Garmisch/Austria for some good mountain roads. Trust me, I have been entertaining different family members coming over for vacation, definitely fan favorites.
mump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
Track rat

Garage
I like your touring plans Mump. I have been to most of the spots you mention but not driven "the ring" yet. Garmish and the eastern Alps is a personal favorite.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #4

+1 Mump's Suggestions

I lived in Germany for ten years -- part of that time was spent living in a little town called Weiler which is across the Rhein from Bingen. A boat cruise one way with a train trip coming back will save you time and allow you to see more in less time. Enjoy the wine of the region and have a curry wurst und brochen for me!
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Here is the trip that my wife and I took several years ago;

Fly to London. Stay there 4 days.
Then fly to Antwerp, Belguim and rent a car.
Drive to Brugge
To Brussels
To Luxemborg
To Trier, Germany
To Koblez
To Weisbaden
To Mainz
Down the Rhine River Valley to Mannheim
Stay in an old castle overlooking the Rhine that is now a hotel
To Karlshue
To Stuttgart! Of course, Stuttgart!
To Munich (Autobahn! Autobahn!)
To Innsbruck, Austria
To Leichtenstein
To Zurich, Switzerland
To Laussane
To Geneva
To Lyon, France
Turn in the car.
Take the French TGV (bullet train) from Lyon to Marseille. Then hang out at the beach in Cannes for 3 days.
Fly Marseille to Paris and spend 4 days in Paris.
Then fly home.

Entire trip was 25 days.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 01-29-2013 at 12:02 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #6

Garage
+1 Mump's Suggestions
+ +1 Garmisch
Add in visit to Neuschwanstein Castle

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #7

I concur with Germany.

The problem with France is that the Frog police are out to get you. It's a shame because the roads and scenery are fantastic. But enjoying your car in France could lead to big fines or worse (car confiscated etc).

Go to Germany, enjoy the autobahn and the 'Ring and give yourself some lasting memories!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
I concur with Germany.

The problem with France is that the Frog police are out to get you. It's a shame because the roads and scenery are fantastic. But enjoying your car in France could lead to big fines or worse (car confiscated etc).
And... Parking a car in France is considered a contact sport.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:41 AM   #9

Thanks for your responses you've definitely sold Germany to me & taking in some tracks whilst I'm there, I'll get started on researching the places you mention and planning properly! The only thing that slightly concerns me with taking it on a track is the chance I'll crash the car into other cars or barriers due to having no experience at all. Is that common and will other drivers get really annoyed if I'm going a lot slower than they are initially whilst I feel my way into it?
ajclarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:48 AM   #10
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajclarkey View Post
Thanks for your responses you've definitely sold Germany to me & taking in some tracks whilst I'm there, I'll get started on researching the places you mention and planning properly! The only thing that slightly concerns me with taking it on a track is the chance I'll crash the car into other cars or barriers due to having no experience at all. Is that common and will other drivers get really annoyed if I'm going a lot slower than they are initially whilst I feel my way into it?
Naw, just use your head and don't drive over it. Faster drivers will go around as long as you don't make any sudden unpredictable moves. At Nordschleife you can get a look at the track by hiring a "Ring Taxi" with a pro driver.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:04 AM   #11

No, Nurburgring is the first and only track that I have been on. I have done maybe 20 some laps there - I usually go there 3-4 a year. Did the M5 ring taxi last year - amazing but off topic. Check their schedule - if u can do it on a weekday, u are pretty much by yourself, 22 km of just u and the track. It is awesome. If you are there on a Saturday or Sunday, between 8-10 it isn't that bad but noon to 1600 is crowded. The upside of that time is everyone is out taking pictures of u. If u are super worried, maybe I can work something out and make it up there. U will notice everyone whether Ferrari or Honda is super cool.
mump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #12

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
keep the car, dump the woman...

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #13

Garage
I love driving in France especially on the west coast usually starting at the Quiberon peninsular and down towards La Rochelle and Biarritz there are some superb roads, but the Nurburgring is something else! we have stayed in Koblenz a couple of times which is pretty close to the ring and well worth a visit.
We have also stayed in the villages right on the rings door step Breidscheid, Adenau and Nürburg if you really are selling your Boxster the Ring should be on your bucket list!

this is the entrance at Breidscheid the Hotel we stayed at is in the background breakfast on the balcony with great views of the track.

just do it
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mump View Post
I am currently stationed in Germany and have been here for the past 5 years. My wife is the type that never sits still, so I have been all over the place here. Switzerland by far is the most beautiful.... And most expensive, and most restrictive on the driving experience.

My advice would be this. To make this the best his/hers experience, take the ferry over and head directly to Nurburgring. Spend a day at/on the track. Next morning, head to a little secret called "Bingen am Rhein." There you can take a day cruise on the Rhein to St Goar (take 1-way) and train it back. It is cheap for what you get and you can sit back drinking beer and wine and watch castles on the Rhein. Then over to Hockenheim if the track is open. Next Rothenberg ob der Tauber. Spent the night there and do the night watchman tour - it is awesome. Then Garmisch/Austria for some good mountain roads. Trust me, I have been entertaining different family members coming over for vacation, definitely fan favorites.

The wife and I spent a few weeks traveling through Germany, Austria, Switzerland and France many years back. We did the Rhein / Castle cruise also, highly recommend it, VERY relaxing and beautiful.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #15

Garage
Ah, yes the good old days of being in Europe !

Agente Speciale (lounge edit) - YouTube