Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #1

Boxster impressions vs my 335i

So I've had my 2001 Boxster Base now for almost 2 months, and even in the dead of winter - I put some good miles on it! I don't mean to compare 2 very different cars that are years apart, but it's what I own and so I will go ahead with my impressions.

I also have a 335i sedan. Driving both cars back to back and comparing them has really been an eye opener.

First impression: The Boxster is a manual, so that alone makes everything feel much more raw. Not only that, I used to think the BMW steering was heavy - but after the Boxster, it even seems boosted and more assisted. The Boxster steering is very raw and connected.

Getting up to 65-80mph in the Boxster really takes some work and effort. In the BMW, especially it being steptronic, you'll be nearly twice the speed of the Boxster before you can blink and it feels effortless. That's the biggest difference.

I find the Boxster much more engaging - even though it is slower, there is something very simple and straightforward about it that makes it intriguing.

One thing I'd like the opinion of everyone on, and that's the handling aspect. I thought the Boxster would greatly out handle the BMW, but I have not necessarily found that to be the case. The BMW seems to have more quicker body reactions to steering inputs, and seems to be a bit easier to control at the limit. It just seems to be able to move about left and right quicker and more precise than the Boxster.

That may be because I just have the base Boxster - but I do find its handling very neutral as well.

Overall - both cars make me miss each one for different reasons. I like that combination.

Favorite aspect of the Boxster: The Exhaust sound. It just permeates the cabin and is pure music over 5k RPM. The BMW has a wonderful exhaust too with the windows down, but it's quieter.

Last edited by rondocap; 01-27-2013 at 09:57 AM.
rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #2

Garage
The only response that I can offer you , is that I've owned several "M" vehicles over the years, and none of them had the balance, poise and tactical feel of my current boxster. Granted, my vehicle has since been modified "Six Ways to Sunday", but I reached this conclusion well before any upgrades to the Dangermobile had been performed. In fact, I would go so far as to say, that the Bimmers were more on the side of being "boulevardiers" than they were enthusiasts' cars.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #3

I've driven 335i's and I would tend to agree with your impressions. The BMW is more refined, faster, effortless, etc. The Boxster is a better car if the tactile feel of a sports car is what you want. I had a 2000 boxster. Sold it and bought a 2008 M3 cab. I never connected with the M3. It's a great car on paper and is a good driver but it's unemotional. Good highway car but nowhere near as satisfying to drive as a Boxster or Carreras I've driven.

Recently bought a 2008 Boxster from an acquaintance and will be selling the M3.
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Boxster View Post
I've driven 335i's and I would tend to agree with your impressions. The BMW is more refined, faster, effortless, etc. The Boxster is a better car if the tactile feel of a sports car is what you want. I had a 2000 boxster. Sold it and bought a 2008 M3 cab. I never connected with the M3. It's a great car on paper and is a good driver but it's unemotional. Good highway car but nowhere near as satisfying to drive as a Boxster or Carreras I've driven.

Recently bought a 2008 Boxster from an acquaintance and will be selling the M3.
I rented a 330i auto convertible for a day to test drive before I bought my 2000 Box "S". I rented the 330i March 2 2003 the day Drifting debuted in the U.S. at Irwindale Speedway CA. I agree with the comments above & would add that I HATED the engine in the 330i & a 99 & 97 M3 I drove. The engine reminded me of a sewing machine. At full throttle the engine sounds like it stays in a very narrow rpm range, & just bored me. The 330i was very easy to initiate & maintain a 4 wheel drift which was fun but so easy I belive I would soon get bored with that & look for tougher stunts to try. Before the final round I was inspecting the tread & saw I was nearly into the cords on the RR tire & better save it for the trip back to the car rental office. :chicken:
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #5

My 550i is much quicker off the line than my 2.5 Boxster. I'm planning to replace both in 3 years with a 2013 Carrera S... Th best of both worlds.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #6

I have not driven a 335 but I actually considered selling my boxster to get one as I was looking for a more reliable car with back seats. In the end I didn't think it was going to be more reliable so I didn't go for it. With regards to the boxster your car is old and probably needs new bushings that should tighten up your cars suspension. The base 986 was not very different from the s in terms of suspension. I think only the sway bars were a little beefier in the s model. I'm changing over to the ROW M030 to update my suspension a little because it's 11 years old.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #7

I also have a 550i and my 03 Boxster S seems to be just as fast and handle a hell of alot better. Honestly I really consider getting rid of my 550i for a more tame 4 door sedan ie Camry, Malibu, Fusion now that I have the Boxster.

The 550i is a great long haul drive except for the mpg.
sixpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #8

Huh? I drove 80 mph and got 26.5 mpg on my last vacation to NC.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #9

The Boxster base is only hauling around 1 pound more per hp... I'd expect that to show up more in low speed acceleration comparisons. Is the 217hp base really that slow? I have an 02 S that is almost completely sorted (finally) and it's reasonably quick. Acceleration doesn't really start to fall off appreciably until we'll over 100mph. Gears 1st through 4th come and go pretty quickly and by then I'm north of 130mph.

The issue I have with my S is I have to physically look at the number to understand how quick it is. The big fat torque curve contributes to a rather flat power band...it comes to life a little bit @ 3k and then a bit more ~4k up, but it never really "wakes up" the way more "peaky" engines do; for that reason my S is faster than it feels...which kind of bums me out.

Last edited by shadrach74; 01-27-2013 at 04:41 PM.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #10

I just came back from a drive- and it's a physical experience, from the tactile feel to the sound.

I will admit, that since this is my first manual car, enjoyment goes up week by week as my abilities improve. I had rudimentary skills prior from dicking around on a friends Jetta - but only after driving it often do you really improve.

First week was tough; plenty of stoplight stalls and rough gear changes.

To appreciate the car you really have to master driving it. It's simple on a paddle-shift BMW, but on this car the curve is a bit steeper but more rewarding.
rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #11

Wait until you autocross the Boxster. Particularly on sticky tires. A tin top BMW with the engine in the wrong place is not anywhere near the same on handling.
My opinion of the Boxster before autocross was completely different after. You simply will never lay into the brakes and toss the car in the same way on a public road.

taking all the weight off the front end and putting it in the center really is the magic formula for excellent steering wheel feedback and 'point and squirt' cornering.
It's basically why I ended up keeping the car for nearly 10 years even though the plan was to keep it for only 3. It checks all the boxes for a roadster experience.
However relative to older Porsches, this and all the new stuff feels numb and disconnected. The quicker the cars get, the more "liveable" the suspensions get, the less feedback you're getting from the car and the less you fully appreciate the speed as it gets insular. However, my Boxster never left a puddle of some random fluid in the drive way like so many older Carreras and 944s and such. I guess its a trade off... but the 986 seems like its in a good middle spot....still with hydraulic steering and all..
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-27-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #12

CA Boxster really nailed it. I've owned a 96' 328i Sedan, a 95' 325i Coupe and a 99' E36 Cab M3. All manuals. Liked all of them. BMWs are GREAT cars. Precise. But they just don't seem to have a soul, for a lack of a better way of putting it. That being said my 01 Boxster S manual handles better, accelerates better, sounds better, looks better, feels better. There's just no comparision. Its a completely different driving experience. I'm just not into the sedan-looking BMWs. Just lost interest in them for driving enjoyment. The cars' looks are important as well. Again, no comparision. I wouldn't mind driving a nice 5 or 7 series on my long commute every day though. They are big, roomy and comfortable with plenty of HP obviously. But they aren't sports cars...Everyone has their opinion though. My DD is a 11' Hyundai Sonata. I get 3 of out 4 with it. LOL. (Big, roomy, comfortable).

01 986 Boxster S. Arctic Silver. 6 speed manual. IMSR/RMS.
jdiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #13

I have a e93 335is and my boxster s sitting outside. Which one goes to Nurburgring - the boxster. Which one for a trip longer than 2 hours - the bimmer. Which one for the commute to work - whatever has gas in it.
mump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpact View Post
I also have a 550i and my 03 Boxster S seems to be just as fast and handle a hell of alot better. Honestly I really consider getting rid of my 550i for a more tame 4 door sedan ie Camry, Malibu, Fusion now that I have the Boxster.

The 550i is a great long haul drive except for the mpg.
If I had a boxster S with an automatic tranny in it, it would be my DD and I would sell my BMW 550i for sure. My 2007 550i has just 54k on the odometer and it's already had a lot of maintenance done to it under warranty and now some more since it's out of warranty (power steering hoses, coolant hoses, power steering resoivoir, etc.) and now the AC condenser is making some noise.

This 550i must have been talking to my "everything needs replacing" 1997 boxster in the garage at night when I'm asleep! I should move the car to the carport so the boxster can't remain a bad influence on it. :ah:
Old 01-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mump View Post
I have a e93 335is and my boxster s sitting outside. Which one goes to Nurburgring - the boxster. Which one for a trip longer than 2 hours - the bimmer. Which one for the commute to work - whatever has gas in it.
Lucky dog!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #16

I have a Boxster with PDK, and it shifts smooth as glass. It adjusts to your driving style, on the fly: it will downshift for you, rev higher if you're driving "sporty", whatever you need. If you are inclined to try to outthink the PDK (why?), you have the option to shift via the flappy paddles or the stick.

I can hit 60 in under 6 seconds just by putting my foot down. I know this number is correct, because I drag race the hubby and he's over there shifting like mad, and I'm putting on lipstick.

I can't imagine anything being more precise than the Boxster. I turn the wheel 1/4" and the car reacts. I can't figure anything handling better than that.

Maybe what you really need is a 987.2 Boxster with PDK.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #17
02 box s

Porsche chick is cool. That is all. My wife is awesome and loves my boxster. But, she won't drive it and would never write something like "...he is shifting like mad while I am putting on my lip stick..." Classic...
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt brad View Post
Porsche chick is cool. That is all. My wife is awesome and loves my boxster. But, she won't drive it and would never write something like "...he is shifting like mad while I am putting on my lip stick..." Classic...
She is better than most for new thread ideas too!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #19

sgt brad, BYprodriver; Thanks, you guys are nice.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #20
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mump View Post
Agreed. Still have the Avalon. Had a long trip recently, took the avalon. Wow it's nice, I had forgotten, it's like sitting in a lazy boy that's barely moving. But no feel for the road, no acceleration, reasonable mpg, lots of room, comfortable, great for road trips, bad for fun

986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote