View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
rondocap

Boxster impressions vs my 335i

So I've had my 2001 Boxster Base now for almost 2 months, and even in the dead of winter - I put some good miles on it! I don't mean to compare 2 very different cars that are years apart, but it's what I own and so I will go ahead with my impressions.

I also have a 335i sedan. Driving both cars back to back and comparing them has really been an eye opener.

First impression: The Boxster is a manual, so that alone makes everything feel much more raw. Not only that, I used to think the BMW steering was heavy - but after the Boxster, it even seems boosted and more assisted. The Boxster steering is very raw and connected.

Getting up to 65-80mph in the Boxster really takes some work and effort. In the BMW, especially it being steptronic, you'll be nearly twice the speed of the Boxster before you can blink and it feels effortless. That's the biggest difference.

I find the Boxster much more engaging - even though it is slower, there is something very simple and straightforward about it that makes it intriguing.

One thing I'd like the opinion of everyone on, and that's the handling aspect. I thought the Boxster would greatly out handle the BMW, but I have not necessarily found that to be the case. The BMW seems to have more quicker body reactions to steering inputs, and seems to be a bit easier to control at the limit. It just seems to be able to move about left and right quicker and more precise than the Boxster.

That may be because I just have the base Boxster - but I do find its handling very neutral as well.

Overall - both cars make me miss each one for different reasons. I like that combination.

Favorite aspect of the Boxster: The Exhaust sound. It just permeates the cabin and is pure music over 5k RPM. The BMW has a wonderful exhaust too with the windows down, but it's quieter.

Last edited by rondocap; 01-27-2013 at 09:57 AM.
rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote