Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #1

Group Purchase on Atlas Scissor Lift

I will be purchasing one of these in the next month or two regardless, but I figured I would approach Greg Smith Equipment anyway to see what type of discounts are available. Here is the link to the lift:

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...e-Scissor-Lift

Regular Price is $1495
Group of 3 orders will be $1395 per
Group of 10 or more orders will be $1345 per

Please check out this link regarding shipping costs / restraints:

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Shipping

Buyer will have to either pay for shipping or go to the closest Greg Smith Equipment location (Indianapolis, IN / Newark, DE / Atlanta, GA / Phoenix, AZ / Hudson, NH / Miami, FL / Austin, TX) and pick up. If you do indeed pick up you will have to pay sales tax which could likely wash out much of the savings you think you would get from not paying shipping. Real savings on shipping could be achieved if multiple lifts are sent to one location, then the buyers could transport them home from there splitting the freight bill.

Please refer to the Greg Smith website regarding information on the lifts, it's capabilities, shipping and or any other questions regarding it, I am by no means an expert on it.

I will be purchasing mine sometime in Mid February or early March, email me directly (not always on these boards regularly) at coreseller@fuse.net if you would like to order one. Thanks.......Mark.

Last edited by coreseller; 02-18-2013 at 10:52 AM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:55 AM   #2

bump please

Last edited by coreseller; 01-31-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
02 box s

Would love one mark, but I have no where for it. Hopefully you will get a couple of takers.
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #4

Will be purchasing this first week of March. Have a few interested parties but no one has committed yet. Let me know via email if seriously considering.......Mark.

Last edited by coreseller; 02-09-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #5

Going to weld up the stainless corners this Friday, it's already anchored down to the concrete with recessed stainless screws. Will be ordering the lift first week of March, currently one or two others serious, anyone else?

Old 02-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #6

In the past week I've cut, drilled, beveled, anchored and welded stainless angle that covers the concrete edge. I then grounded screw heads flush and went over the whole thing with 60 grit flap wheel. Today I cut and anchored in the composite material that the plywood will rest upon to cover the lift when not in use, also trimmed out the PVC pipes that are drains and under-the-floor passages for the hydraulic lines. Looks like I'm pretty much done with the hole, will be ordering lift and picking it up two weeks from today, if anyone else (currently have 2 buyers) wants one we will get a $100 discount......Mark.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Nice work, so I can understand what you've done to see if I want to do the same with my existing lift:

You cut a hole in the slab down to the gravel.

You laid a metal plate on top the gravel. (if so details please)

You installed a drain and conduit for the single hydraulic and the single control cable.

You plan to cover it with a piece of plywood.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Nice work, so I can understand what you've done to see if I want to do the same with my existing lift:

You cut a hole in the slab down to the gravel.

You laid a metal plate on top the gravel. (if so details please)

You installed a drain and conduit for the single hydraulic and the single control cable.

You plan to cover it with a piece of plywood.
Paul, here is a link to another site better describing the steps taken:

Group Purchase on Atlas Scissor Lift - Rennlist Discussion Forums

To address your questions in specific:

- Cut Slab down to gravel
- Dug out gravel / mud to a depth if 14" or more
- Dug 5 piers 12" wide by 36" depth
- No metal plate used on top of gravel
- 1 1/2" PVC drain pipe used front (for hydraulic lines to go through) and rear (drain line)
- 1 1/2" Stainless Steel angle used on top of concrete edge to prevent cracking / chipping
- Composite (Trex) decking material anchored into upright sides of hole, top edge set 3/4" from top to accept 3/4" Plywood to cover hole / lift when not in use
Old 03-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #9

Final Bump for Group Purchase, I promise. I will be ordering this Wednesday or Thursday of this week, so far 2 definites, need one more.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #10

Brought home the lift yesterday, they gave me a discount for paying cash. Sucker is definitely heavy:

Drug it gently off the trailer with the wife's van:

Got the pivot base's wheels on the ground, cut the shipping pallet in half and placed it under the trailer on the driveway for a softer landing:

Then I pulled it off of the pallet onto an 1/8" thick plywood piece so I could get the transport dolly into the tongue and move it into the garage:

There it sits, got 3 sizable buddies coming over this afternoon to help get it into the recess and plumb the lines:

Have a little tweaking to do on safety release cable, otherwise it fits and works like a charm:

Last edited by coreseller; 03-10-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Looks awesome! That darn thing is heavy. I had one delivered about a month ago. Definitely love the way you installed yours. I wanted to do the same, but our concrete is post-tension, so we can't cut into it otherwise we may cut one of the tension bars.

Just had to have an electrician hook up a 220v outlet.

drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Mine runs fine on 110 Volts on a 20 amp outlet.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #13

I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger on one of these but I don't know the depth of my dad's shop's slab. I heard these require a certain minimum of concrete to be "safe". Is this true? Since you put yours in the ground, I'm sure yours is fine, but for the guy with the blue one, you mentioned you have a "post-tension" setup. Are you worried at all about slab depth with one of these lifts?
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post
I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger on one of these but I don't know the depth of my dad's shop's slab. I heard these require a certain minimum of concrete to be "safe". Is this true? Since you put yours in the ground, I'm sure yours is fine, but for the guy with the blue one, you mentioned you have a "post-tension" setup. Are you worried at all about slab depth with one of these lifts?
Hi stateofidleness,

No worries for me. Our garage slab is over 8" thick. But I read that they recommend at least a 5" thick slab of level concrete.

Here is the link to manual for the one I purchased. On Page 6, #5 it states this.

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/91000-91999/91315.pdf

You will be glad you got it when you do

drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote