Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #1

Correction.... but still, now if I can only win the lottery.

I had a '75 914 and wish I kept it, but I would really love to have a 914-6. Here's a fully restored one on 914world - 914World.com - A Porsche 914 Community / Forum / Club

Just a little too rich for me...:ah:

I have to correct myself cause I misspoke... I completely forgot about the 550. I was just thinking about the mid-engine design.

Porsche Boxster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by jrcui; 01-21-2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: wrong info
jrcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

I thought that the original Boxster was the 550 Spyder?

However, those can be a bit pricey too:
1955 Porsche 550 Spyder Sells For Record $3.685 million
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #3

Garage
I guessed this was about the 1993 prototype Boxster showcar.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #4

My 914 was a '70 and spent more time in the shop than it did on the road. Wonderful driving car with its 85HP but I sold it a week before the warranty ran out and was never happier.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
+2 on that
Bfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:05 AM   #6

I love the original 550, a gorgeous car!
Old 01-22-2013, 05:40 AM   #7

I owned a 1970 914.It was a nice handling car.But I lived up in the mountains in Canada and used it in the winter.It hated the winter and would have difficulty starting,heater was barely able to keep us warm.One time I was in a rush for a flight and coming down a hill it just conked out.I was so mad I slammed the door shut and the window shattered.I was young and impatient.Luckily I was not to far from home and got a lift to pick up my old jeep and made my flight.On nice summer days with the targa roof off I had a ball and still have some good memories
lahalte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcui View Post
I have to correct myself cause I misspoke... I completely forgot about the 550.
I'm not so sure that the 914 had much in common with the Boxster since it was more Targa than roadster. Also, contrary to what many might believe, the very first Porsche was a mid engine 356 even before the racing oriented 550 came around. For sales reasons they moved the engine to the rear to fit 2 more passengers and that's what they kept on doing with the 356/911.

If you go down to Barnes & Noble the book below has some great racing photos of the 550. The thing that jumps out at you flipping through the book is that when it comes to racing Porsche made its name with mid eninge cars. Kind of ironic since the average person probably associates its racing with 911's.

BARNES & NOBLE | Porsche: A History of Excellence by Randy Leffingwell | Paperback
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #9

Garage
My father had a 70-914. My first and only P-car driving exposure up till a few month ago. Bitter sweet car. I absolutly loved driving it. Hard to comprehend it was that quick with so little HP. I was 18 years old way back then. My brother lost control in rain and wrecked it, I lost control on ice and hit a tree with it, a fire in the engine comparment burnt all the wires that controled the fuel injection. Replaced with twin weber carb kit. I wanted to buy it so bad but my dad wouldn't sell it to me. He must have loved me because he could see that it would have ended badly.

My impression of the 914 was a great handling car - BUT when it broke loose - it broke fast, especially on slippery roads. I've thought that was a side effect of a mid-engine car. It's a concern I now have about the Boxster. Haven't gotten to the break loose point yet but it is in the back of my mind
Old 01-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #10

Quote:
In the book I linked above they talk about the concept car unveiling. Apparently Porsche was in such bad shape financially that no one was sure if this was going to be the last autoshow Porsche participated in. The Boxster unveiling was their hail mary toss. Since Porsche's sales were so terrible they were given a dark corner of the convention center where the lighting was awful and they refused to give Porsche the extra lighting to unveil the Boxster.

Also interesting was that the Boxster and 996 were developed simultaneously as per the wishes of the bean counter trying to keep Porsche from going bankrupt and scooped up by Toyota. The concept car immediately produced buyers putting down deposits so Porsche was forced to start producing the Boxster ASAP.
This apparently pissed off the old Porsche guard because it meant that the flagship 911 would be introduced later and with the same front 70% as the "entry level" car. Pretty anti-climatic for the first water-cooled 911. The compromise was to give the Carrera a slightly different bumper. The bean counters refused to allow Porsche to even develop different headlights that's how tight the money was in 1998.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-22-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
My father had a 70-914. My first and only P-car driving exposure up till a few month ago. Bitter sweet car. I absolutly loved driving it. Hard to comprehend it was that quick with so little HP. I was 18 years old way back then. My brother lost control in rain and wrecked it, I lost control on ice and hit a tree with it, a fire in the engine comparment burnt all the wires that controled the fuel injection. Replaced with twin weber carb kit. I wanted to buy it so bad but my dad wouldn't sell it to me. He must have loved me because he could see that it would have ended badly.

My impression of the 914 was a great handling car - BUT when it broke loose - it broke fast, especially on slippery roads. I've thought that was a side effect of a mid-engine car. It's a concern I now have about the Boxster. Haven't gotten to the break loose point yet but it is in the back of my mind
Mid-engine is much safer than a rear-engine 911. On the track, I've seen plenty of drifting from 911's, almost none from Boxsters or Caymans.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Chick View Post
Mid-engine is much safer than a rear-engine 911. On the track, I've seen plenty of drifting from 911's, almost none from Boxsters or Caymans.
This is true, I'm sure the 914's issue was a product of the short wheelbase & outdated suspension/tires.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #13

Garage
[QUOTE=Perfectlap;324662]In the book I linked above they talk about the concept car unveiling. Apparently Porsche was in such bad shape financially that no one was sure if this was going to be the last autoshow Porsche participated in. The Boxster unveiling was their hail mary toss. Since Porsche's sales were so terrible they were given a dark corner of the convention center where the lighting was awful and they refused to give Porsche the extra lighting to unveil the Boxster.

I wonder what show this was? Porsche has the only exclusive room at the LA autoshow & had the pole position at the Detroit show until they gave it up & bypassed the show 4-5 years ago due to the recession & nearly non-existent sales in the Motor City.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #14

[QUOTE=BYprodriver;324697]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
In the book I linked above they talk about the concept car unveiling. Apparently Porsche was in such bad shape financially that no one was sure if this was going to be the last autoshow Porsche participated in. The Boxster unveiling was their hail mary toss. Since Porsche's sales were so terrible they were given a dark corner of the convention center where the lighting was awful and they refused to give Porsche the extra lighting to unveil the Boxster.

I wonder what show this was? Porsche has the only exclusive room at the LA autoshow & had the pole position at the Detroit show until they gave it up & bypassed the show 4-5 years ago due to the recession & nearly non-existent sales in the Motor City.
1993 Detroit Auto show. In the book they have the Porsche big whigs standing next to Boxster and in front of the Press photographers. Space was tight. Not like today where a new model Porsche unveiling looks more like Apple introducing their latest over-hyped gadget.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
It's a concern I now have about the Boxster. Haven't gotten to the break loose point yet but it is in the back of my mind

I break mine loose from time to time...on purpose. Find a track, parking lot or back road (area sans other motorists/peds) and get to know your car man. I'm not suggesting high speed power slides, but you should understand where the limits are at normal speeds. A Boxster will pivot beautifully and predictably through tight, relatively low speed turns if you're in the proper gear. It also tends to be quite forgiving at the limit even at higher speeds if the tires, brakes and road temps are adequate. I've a tight 140 degree hairpin (sort of) near my home that is tremendous fun. Entry speed is a little over 15mph. I heal and toe into first just before turn in and power the arse end around.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
I break mine loose from time to time...on purpose. Find a track, parking lot or back road (area sans other motorists/peds) and get to know your car man. I'm not suggesting high speed power slides, but you should understand where the limits are at normal speeds. A Boxster will pivot beautifully and predictably through tight, relatively low speed turns if you're in the proper gear. It also tends to be quite forgiving at the limit even at higher speeds if the tires, brakes and road temps are adequate. I've a tight 140 degree hairpin (sort of) near my home that is tremendous fun. Entry speed is a little over 15mph. I heal and toe into first just before turn in and power the arse end around.
This is the reason 17" tires are funner than 18"
Old 01-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #17

Garage
[QUOTE=Perfectlap;324718]
Quote:

1993 Detroit Auto show. In the book they have the Porsche big whigs standing next to Boxster and in front of the Press photographers. Space was tight. Not like today where a new model Porsche unveiling looks more like Apple introducing their latest over-hyped gadget.
I guess this was before Porsche could afford the area by the main entrance. Detroit was the top show where all the international journalists went, but now LA is trying to be the top show. LA show dates changed to be ahead of Detroit
Old 01-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #18

If anyone wants to see a 911 drift, google "Tokyo Drift trailer". There's a scene in the youtube video (you have to find the official trailer) of a 911 drifting from one level to another in a parking garage.

One of the best 911 scenes ever filmed, IMO.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #19

[QUOTE=BYprodriver;324737]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post

I guess this was before Porsche could afford the area by the main entrance. Detroit was the top show where all the international journalists went, but now LA is trying to be the top show. LA show dates changed to be ahead of Detroit
I thought it was because Porsche was on the ropes financially. The Boxster saved them . . .