Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #1

2004 Top and Frame Swap Glitch

I've run into a problem installing a 2004 top and frame on my 2000 Boxster. As you can see in this picture, when the top is far enough forward to engage the windshield header, I cannot slide the rear of the frame down into the car. Something seems to be catching it.

Does anyone have suggestions for helping this fit in? I don't want to put too much pressure on anything. The old top came out without much trouble. Thanks in advance. I've been using the instructions on Mike Focke's web site,
https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/removingthetopandframe and the author did not indicate any problems of this nature.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #2

When I installed mine, I did not latch the front until the top frame was completely installed and pushed back at the corners so the latch would clear the wind deflector. Did you bolt the top frame down with the front latch closed? If so, I would unbolt the frame, unlatch the front, bolt down the frame while making sure the frame is pushed back far enough to allow the open latch to clear the wind deflector, then attach the ball ends w/pushrods. I would then operate the top to see how it opens and closes. The latch is designed to pull the top taut when you close it.
linklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #3

Garage
I did this upgrade 2 years ago and used the instructions put together by Schoir and Boxtaboy (and others?). The 2004 top bolted into my 2002 very easily, but the latch just barely touched the plastic wind blocker upon open/close. I checked with Boxtaboy and he said there is some adjustment in the mounting, although it may not seem like it. I loosened the 3 mounting bolts on each side and had someone apply pressure on the frame toward the back of the car as I re-tightened the bolts and everything worked great. I did sometimes have to pull the top forward a little when I latched it (which I didn't have to do with my original top) but after a few months on the car everything must have 'stretched' into place and had worked perfectly since then.
Your issue must have to do with the same mounting adjustment, and minor differences from the donor car to yours.
Did you have the header latched as you tightened the mounting bolts? I think I had the top in the service position when I tightened the bolts, which may allow more adjustment.
Check out the links below, if you haven't seen them already. You could also PM boxtaboy or schoir as they were the experts back a few years. I think they are still active.
Good luck! It is a great upgrade that you will love when it is done.

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/installinga%2703-%2704glasstopandframeona%2797

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/20414-2003-oem-glass-convertible-top-installed-01-boxster.html
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
That looks like a 987 top to me...
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
That looks like a 987 top to me...
I'm beginning to think that may be the problem. It just does not fit in the area behind the doors. It is too tight.

Does anyone know where I can find the part number?
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
I'm beginning to think that may be the problem. It just does not fit in the area behind the doors. It is too tight.

Does anyone know where I can find the part number?
Not sure where the part number would be, but here's a comparison of an '06 987 to an '04 986. The rear weatherseal/trim piece on the 986 top begins to turn towards the bottom of the car just after the joint, while the 987 piece goes back more before turning down.

I also think the roof pivot points (on the roof transmission) may be a little different but I'm not entirely certain. I do know that the way they attach to the transmission is different, though.

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote