Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #1

I was looking to replace my 2002 boxster

I was considering replacing my 2002 2.7 with a 2008-09 BMW 335 with about 30-40k miles. So I have been doing research on the car. I was hoping for a more reliable 4 seater yet having some level of sportiness. Then I started reading about their reliability issues and no thanks. I'll stick with the potential known issues of the boxster vs. the unknowns of the BMW. Karesh shows them pretty much unreliable on his site with tons of repairs. I'm going to spend some money on my boxster, replacing the clutch, rms, IMS, aos, and wheels and I'm all set for another 50-60k miles.

I'm reading of bad turbos, bad fuel systems that have been replaced countless times, valve issues, injector issues. I'll keep my boxster maybe buy a used 996.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
I like the 328 but the 335 seems like a nightmare gone bad if you do any sport driving. If you push the car it defaults to a low power limp mode WTF??
Old 01-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #3

I own a 2008 335i and a 2001 Boxster.

I bought my 335i with only 10k miles, CPO. It's actually been extremely reliable. It had all of the recalls done. The HPFP is covered by a big warranty now that was extended, as were the turbos - so nothing to worry about there.

I've had no issue with it, and I would consider it to be much more reliable than the Boxster - especially considering IMS issues you can have with the Boxster.

I love having both. The BMW handles great, and the power just blows away the Boxster - and it's more "luxury". Obviously, the Boxster is more raw and more of a sports car.

I push the 335i pretty hard, and never had an issue. Just avoid the 2007's, the 08+ seem to be better.
rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:03 AM   #4

I went the other way and ditched a new 335 for the older Boxster.

The 335 has no throttle response. Its either blasting or idling. In a corner, you can't keep your foot on the throttle at partial throttle like I do all the time in the Boxster.
THe 335 steering feel is very light and not precise. You will make a lot of steering corrections in a turn.
THe 335 has the worst clutch of any car I have ever driven.
335 brakes are very grabby. Again modulation isn't your friend.
The steering feedback if vague.

Yes it has a great engine. But it's closer in performance characteristics to a Mustang than a Porsche. Drive it before you buy it. The 335 driver inputs are poor.

/
Old 01-10-2013, 04:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckrikos View Post
I was considering replacing my 2002 2.7 with a 2008-09 BMW 335 with about 30-40k miles. So I have been doing research on the car. I was hoping for a more reliable 4 seater yet having some level of sportiness. Then I started reading about their reliability issues and no thanks. I'll stick with the potential known issues of the boxster vs. the unknowns of the BMW. Karesh shows them pretty much unreliable on his site with tons of repairs. I'm going to spend some money on my boxster, replacing the clutch, rms, IMS, aos, and wheels and I'm all set for another 50-60k miles.

I'm reading of bad turbos, bad fuel systems that have been replaced countless times, valve issues, injector issues. I'll keep my boxster maybe buy a used 996.
I was considering a 135i as a daily driver, but also read that they have reliability issues so I forgot about them.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #6

It's funny you mention it Mike, when I test drove a M3 vs. the Boxster, I thought it had a musclecar feel vs. a sports car. Granted, it handles much better than a "factory" 60's musclecar.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #7

I realize they have expanded the warranty period, but it just appears too risky to jump into a used 335xi. The price is not as low as the Boxster where you can argue that its not a big gamble. At $25-30K I need a reliable car, Im not interested in jumping into another timebomb. My Boxster has been extremely reliable as I am sure many 335's are, for the money its just not worth taking the risk. I am considering a 328, but dont think its going to be sporty enough to replace my Boxter. I was looking for an XI with SMG and navigation and its not easy to find. Specifically SMG, I would buy a manual but want my wife to be able to drive it too. I considered keeping both, but I drive so infrequently (once a week and/or during the weekends) thats it wouldnt be a financially sound decision. Most weekends I drive my wife's Touareg as I cart the children around. The 335/328 was my attempt at a fun car that can also cart the children around.

What do you guys think about the 328?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #8

Garage
I currently own a 2011 335xi (and a '08 535 for that matter) and prior had a 2008 335xi. The 2008 was plagued by issues, but my 2011 has been great for the last 40,000 miles. BMW has had it's issues with some major items that frankly they shouldn't have had, but they have remedied the vast majority of them and if you find a well maintained one (that has't gone 15-18K miles between oil changes as BWM 'Free' maintenance recommends) then those issues should have been taken care of - HPFP and injectors were recalled and now have a 120K mile warranty. Turbo waste gates (rattles) are warrantied until 80K miles now I believe, etc. Brake grab is more a function of the brake pad compound and can be modulated.

The care themselves are a differnt driving experience to the Boxter to sure because they are two differnt care designed for differnt purposes. Compare the two side by side and you can see why - weight, driving position, engine placement etc. all make a major difference. I always thought my 335 was a small car until I parked it next to my Boxster. The 2011 with it's N55 motor (single turbo, dual vane) versus the N54 (TT in the older cars) builds boost more consistantly than the older motor but does so with more torque and is a better DD motor. The N54 on the other hand can be tuned inexpensively and can be a beast if that is what you are looking for.

I guess what I am saying is the 335 has a bad rap, but not all of it is deserved anymore. They are fun cars, but they are not a Boxster either. I love my Boxster, but I also love the rush of the turbo kicking in in my 335 (especially since I am at 5,000 above SL - I still get all 300 horses)...

Last edited by Parrot356; 01-10-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Parrot356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot356 View Post
I guess what I am saying is the 335 has a bad rap, but not all of it is deserved anymore. They are fun cars, but they are not a Boxster either. I love my Boxster, but I also love the rush of the turbo kicking in in my 335 (especially since I am at 5,000 above SL - I still get all 300 horses)...
I think we agree.

I would not argue for one second that it's not a blast to have the turbo kick in on the 335. The car is a beast. It's just not a scalpel.

If you want a fast car primarily for highway runs - a GT - the 335 is a great choice. The Boxster is a sportscar, different car with different purposes.

I mistakenly bought the 335 thinking it was a sportscar and I wasn't very happy.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #10

The 335i is definitely not a sports car, but I think it's a great combination of a luxury car with a sport car attributes.

Handling is fantastic on them - my steering is actually heavily weighted (hydraulic) and I get good feedback from it. (The Porsche is more raw, though)

I had the BMW power kit installed. It is a modest bump in power, about 20hp and 33tq, but what it does is make the throttle much more sensitive, sporty, and almost eliminates whatever turbo lag existed before. (Which wasn't much)

That made a big difference to the car. Add a BMW performance exhaust, and it's a pretty exciting car to drive, especially on the highway.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike View Post
The 335 has no throttle response... In a corner, you can't keep your foot on the throttle at partial throttle
I don't get it. So the revs just drop until you exit?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #12

The reasons I was considering the 335 is because I was looking for a GT. I wanted a reliable sporty car that I could carry my family in, use for business trips, and have fun driving it on my own as well. My Boxster has worn me out the road noise tires me, but that could be a function of my worn tires and my hardtop. I have the old top with the ears and I hear the wind blowing by them. I may wait and just buy one of the newer 335's 2011 next year.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #13

Garage
[QUOTE=Ckrikos;323216] I am considering a 328, but dont think its going to be sporty enough to replace my Boxter. I was looking for an XI with SMG and navigation and its not easy to find. Specifically SMG, I would buy a manual but want my wife to be able to drive it too.

FYI, you won't fine a 328 or 335ix with SMG. They are only offered with steptronic or a 6MT. To get the SMG tranny you have to get to a 335is or an M3... And you will not find either the 'is' or the M3 in the mid-20's price range...

I understand what you are saying about being a 'time bomb' etc and if you are not comfortable then it is not worth it. Kind of like buying a Boxster and always thinking the IMS is going to go. It will just haunt you if you let it. But if you do reconsider and drive a 335 look for a 2009 or newer. Lots of updates in '09 and it is a different car than the '07's and '08's.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #14

Replacing box

On the 3 series bimmer issue, I have a 328 xi for inclement weather and the 2001 s boxster as my
Preferred personal ride when the roads are clear . I haven't had a stitch of trouble with the BMW in 30000 mi so far . It's an able, comfortable and still fun to drive car but in a completely different category of ride. I'm planning on doing the " ultimate ims fix" when it becomes feasible here in nh.
Rlwalker799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #15

I didn't realize there was a difference between the paddle shifters and the term smg. I'll have to read about that some more.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #16

Garage
I had a problem with my wife's car a few years ago when she was out of town and ended up riding with the tow truck driver ....along the way I asked him what car did he tow the most ...he did not hesitate -- BMW
Old 01-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #17

The only car I ever had to tow 2-3 times was my 2001 Mercedes S55 AMG. Wonderful car, but woefully unreliable and expensive to maintain.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doragman View Post
I had a problem with my wife's car a few years ago when she was out of town and ended up riding with the tow truck driver ....along the way I asked him what car did he tow the most ...he did not hesitate -- BMW
I wouldn't think there would be enough BMW in Baton Rouge to make that possible.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckrikos View Post
I didn't realize there was a difference between the paddle shifters and the term smg. I'll have to read about that some more.
SMG in a 2004 M3 is without doubt the worst trans I have ever driven. BMW seems to lessen throttle response & steering feel a little more every year. I recently drove a 2002 5 series. It was so nice. Comfortable, fit me well & took directions well. We got along from the start.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I wouldn't think there would be enough BMW in Baton Rouge to make that possible.
My exact thoughts -- totally disproportionate to the car population in the area. His theory is that if any light came on most of the folks driving bimmers called for a tow ...