Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2005, 06:56 PM   #1

Talk about saving some $$$ on O2 sensors.

An O2 sensor for $10-$20? This blew me away!

I was reading a thread on the 928 forum with a question about what universal sensor would fit and have the correct mV output. As I'm reading, I keep thinking about the $90 universal I just bought at AutoZone for the Boxster that's still in the box waiting to be installed. (I purchased it in case the CEL from running low on gas came back). So, according to the buds on the 928 forum, the universal Bosch (and other brand) sensors have the same mV output with the difference being the number of wires. 1 for no heating, 3 for heated, and 4 for another type of heated. The screw size and thread count is the same for all of them. This means any 3-wire universal will work with the 928 provided you use heat shrink waterproof sheething, so I asked about the Boxster. Same thing, any 4-wire universal will work. (for reference, the thread is http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=238192&referrerid=27688
)

So....I'm going to be the ginea pig and try this out if nobody else has. Since I can plug in the handy-dandy AutoTap and read the output voltage of the sensors, I'm going to order one, put it in and see if there are any different readings from one to the other. I found a Bosch 4-wire on eBay for $15 including shipping. :dance:

It will probably be a few weeks to a month before I get it in (doing the 70K oil change soon and replacing the the spark plug O-rings so I'll do it then) but I thought I'd go ahead and post this in case someone else has tried this before. If you have, was it good or bad?

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top

Last edited by deliriousga; 11-15-2005 at 06:19 AM.
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:13 AM   #2
PSP

I'm very interested to see how this works. It's always nice to have alternatives - and since they are so cheap, they could become part of regular maintenance instead of waiting until they fail.
PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:21 AM   #3
PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
I found a Bosch 4-wire on eBay for $15 including shipping.
Was this a one-time deal or a regular Ebay seller?
Old 11-16-2005, 09:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP
Was this a one-time deal or a regular Ebay seller?
I'm not sure. I'll check the username and see if they have other items out there. I did have to do quite a bit of searching, changing spellings, etc.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:26 AM   #5

John, replace all four at that price as they all need to age together. Putting in one new one, even if the generic four wire works, may yeild sensor failure readings or a MAF sensor failure, even though the MAF is fine.

Oh my I hope this works though.... I'd like to replace all four of mine with cheap replacements if I could!!! When you get it in from the Ebay seller, post pics and a full description of it so we can at least find a source while we wait for you to tell us if they will work or not.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Oh my I hope this works though.... I'd like to replace all four of mine with cheap replacements if I could!!!
If you start using less expensive replacements, you'll have to change the name of you Boxster to maybe "Whirlpool".

Quote:
When you get it in from the Ebay seller, post pics and a full description of it so we can at least find a source while we wait for you to tell us if they will work or not.
I will be getting the same Bosch part number for them all so I'll post the number if they work.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:14 PM   #7
PSP

Just want to keep this front page so that we all have the info....
Old 11-20-2005, 05:38 PM   #8

At our repair shop we often use universal O2 sensors with no problems at all. The only exception is some asian cars used on odd type of sensor and we must get them from the dealers. I've installed about 200 or so of them over the years and have never had any problems in our customers cars. Bosch and NTK both make good kits and have all thats needed to do the job included.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:26 AM   #9

John, any word on if the cheap O2 sensors work or not?

I'd like to DIY this if it does work!
Old 11-28-2005, 04:34 PM   #10

It will probably be at least another few weeks before I get to do it. I spent last weekend working on a teenage retreat and next weekend I have to work on finishing a bathroom in the basement and replace the Intrepid's steering rack bushings before Lisa takes it to the airport.

I'll come back as soon as I get to do it, but was really just wondering if anyone else had tried it before I go through the whole thing. I guess nobody has, so I'll still be the guinea pig. Hopefully I can get it done before the end of the year.

Have a great day folks! :dance:
Old 11-28-2005, 05:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
It will probably be at least another few weeks before I get to do it. I spent last weekend working on a teenage retreat and next weekend I have to work on finishing a bathroom in the basement and replace the Intrepid's steering rack bushings before Lisa takes it to the airport.
blah blah blah. Hurry up!
Old 11-30-2005, 06:45 PM   #12

Quote:
blah blah blah. Hurry up!
Ok, ok, I know I'm a procrastinator (I still haven't put in the front fan I ordered 3 months ago ). I picked up the first one tonight at $29 + $6 shipping (not bad). Working on one that's at $5, but no info so hoping nobody bids after she answers my questions about it. I'll put those two before the cats and take all of the measurements and see what happens.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:25 AM   #13

Just bought four Bosch 4-wire O2 sensors from www.oxygensensors.com. They were $112.00 each, and had the proper connectors (no soldering, crimping, etc.!)

I've discovered that one can probably use a universal 4 wire sensor as John is suggesting and will try out for us soon, but you had better be willing to match wires and recycle the connectors off the old sensors... this concerns me in that they're exposed to heat (they age poorly) and I'd probably get a wire wrong and screw it up one way or another.

Trivia you may not know:

Our oxygen sensors have 4 wires... two for the going and coming of the information required to sense the exhaust, and two to power a heater to the unit so it can begin working efficiently, even when the engine is not up to temp.

There is also an 02 sensor heater relay that my mechanic is suggesting I buy and replace because that too came up on the PSTII tool as being faulty.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:28 AM   #14

Hey, Jim (MNBoxster)... you probably know the answer to this question.

Since I'm replacing all four of my original 02 sensors in my 97 box with 94k on it, will I get better fuel economy? How about performance?

The PSTII tool showed slow reaction times on all four sensors and reeeaaaally slow reaction on one of them, which caused my CE light.

Logically, faster reaction times for the sensors should increase fuel economy and possibly performance considering the computer's in control of the car's air/fuel mixture, right?
Old 01-27-2006, 06:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Hey, Jim (MNBoxster)... you probably know the answer to this question.

Since I'm replacing all four of my original 02 sensors in my 97 box with 94k on it, will I get better fuel economy? How about performance?

The PSTII tool showed slow reaction times on all four sensors and reeeaaaally slow reaction on one of them, which caused my CE light.

Logically, faster reaction times for the sensors should increase fuel economy and possibly performance considering the computer's in control of the car's air/fuel mixture, right?
Hi,

I am posting a Primer on OČ Sensors later today. Watch for it...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote