Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
haz

Rough idle when warm, anyone knows why?

Only when warm, not when cold, its chasing when idling. Anyone? (Replaced MAF 3 weeks ago, and this problem just arrived..)

Jager på tomgang - YouTube

haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #2

I am thinking, vacuum leak. Did you check to see if the AOS is good. Also, was this an issue before replacing the MAF.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
haz

I'm considering vacuum leak also. How do I check the AOS? No, this problem arrived friday and only when warm.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz View Post
I'm considering vacuum leak also. How do I check the AOS? No, this problem arrived friday and only when warm.
When the engine has warmed up, try removing the oil filler cap. If it does not unscrew and remove easily then the AOS is not working as should. Then replace it. Are there any codes being thrown?

I usually work backwards...put the MAF back on and see if it has the same problem. If not then put the new back on and make sure it is seated correctly...you also could have a bad part.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest

Last edited by jcb986; 11-24-2013 at 12:27 PM.
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #5

Just a thought, did you disconnect the battery before you put the new maf on ? this will allow the on board computer to learn all the settings from new, it may be working on the old maf settings.
Guvs.
Guvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
haz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvs View Post
Just a thought, did you disconnect the battery before you put the new maf on ? this will allow the on board computer to learn all the settings from new, it may be working on the old maf settings.
Guvs.
No, but the new has MAF worked fine. It did not throw any codes either after new MAF + the car has the new software (this newest MAF requires it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986 View Post
When the engine has warmed up, try removing the oil filler cap. If it does not unscrew and remove easily then the AOS is not working as should. Then replace it. Are there any codes being thrown?

I usually work backwards...put the MAF back on and see if it has the same problem. If not then put the new back on and make sure it is seated correctly...you also could have a bad part.
I will connect the casr and check for codes on saturday, as I was planning to visit my friends Porsche-garage anyways. I will also check your "unscrew the oilcap"-trick after work today also

Thanks so far guys!
Old 11-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
haz

Someone tipped me it could be the "idling regulator" (if dat is de engrish wørd for eet)
Old 11-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #8

Try cleaning the throttle body.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
haz

Thanks! Added to my check list for this saturday

Will also check the Idle speed control valve.