Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
Here here! I love P-cars, but I'm not a huge fan of Porsche customer service. I prefer to keep it simple, mad a simple manual with me controlling the as many variables as possible is my preferred choice. I was actually happy to find a car without PTSM. I wanted a sports car, and that's what I got. I'd have been fine with wind down windows. I realize not everyone thinks this way and that's fine too. But the more complex the system, the more there is to break. It's why aircraft engines still use magnetos for ignition and air for cooling in most cases. You can't just pull over and call roadside assistance when your automated whatever ceases to automate.

I've driven a 2012 Panamera with PDK...It was great, but not earth shattering from a driving perspective.
So why is it that aircraft engines have 2 Magnetos?

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
So why is it that aircraft engines have 2 Magnetos?
Redundancy.

While very reliable, mags do fail. With two, a failed mag means a slight elevation in exhaust gas temp and an almost imperceptible drop in power. If you only had one, you'd be a glider. That's no bueno...especially over water...or at night...or at night over water!

Plus a 360ci 4 banger really benefits From twin plugs on each cyl.

There are some new solid state ignition systems on the market for aircraft, but the cost is so great (~$4000 to run 1 of the plugs on each cyl) because of the expense of certification, that the benefits don't out weigh the cost; especially with a simple, flat, air cooled engine with fixed ignition timing.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:21 AM   #23

Quote:
Starting to replace what? Clutch, transmission? I've owned many cars in my 19 years of driving. The only trannies that I've ever needed to rebuild we're autos. While slush boxes have gotten much better over the years, I still see them as time bombs, especially the manumatics... I'm not saying they won't last a long while (my GS400 has 210k on the original tranny, but a Porsche is no Lexus in terms of build quality, few cars are). A well cared for manual should last as long as the engine with the primary wear parts (clutch, FW and associated bits) being easily changed. The primary wear parts in an real auto tranny are not serviceable until rebuild. PDK is a "whole 'nother" subject as it's actually a manual with automated shifting, not the other way around.

Friends don't let friends buy sports cars with torque converters! .

I have a 2000S with the TIP and I love it. I did drive a few Boxsters with stick but found the TIP smoother and quicker. Guess I am tired of shifting and decided to enjoy the the drive and ride aspect. Now, I was talking about replacing the the clutch, flywheel, release bearing and hydraulic slave cylinder. The TIPS give great reliability over the term of ownership and usually are easier to sell. But, like I said, if you like shifting then stick with it.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986 View Post
I have a 2000S with the TIP and I love it. I did drive a few Boxsters with stick but found the TIP smoother and quicker. Guess I am tired of shifting and decided to enjoy the the drive and ride aspect. Now, I was talking about replacing the the clutch, flywheel, release bearing and hydraulic slave cylinder. The TIPS give great reliability over the term of ownership and usually are easier to sell. But, like I said, if you like shifting then stick with it.
I will not disagree with regard to the 986 S. I have a 2002 S 6 speed and it is not the easiest car to drive smoothly. I think this is exacerbated by the sloppy VW cable shifter and rot prone front motor mounts. My girlfriend hates driving the Boxster because she cannot shift it smoothly. Compared to the 6 speed in her MCS it feels clunky and vague. I have found that my smoothest shifts occur when driving aggressively; trying to finesse it around town smoothly is an acquired skill and takes more thought. I am hoping that my new Schnell short shift kit coupled with a fresh motor mount tighten things up and make it more friendly...

Last edited by shadrach74; 12-27-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #25
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Compared to the 6 speed in her MCS it feels clunky and vague.
I could not agree more. The shifter, linkage, and transmisison of my 2002 Cooper S is 10 times better than my Boxster. Its like night and day.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I could not agree more. The shifter, linkage, and transmisison of my 2002 Cooper S is 10 times better than my Boxster. Its like night and day.
Yup...until you have to remove one! The MCS might be a car where 3 clutch replacements (12hrs plus parts) equals the cost of a new auto tranny...plus it has a weaker DMF than most cars...