Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Newb

Tires

I have Pirrelli P-Zero Rosso's all around, the rears are worn nearly bald in the center and I can hear the sound of the tread that is left on the outer edges mostly when I am just cruising straight. These tires seem to handle great when pushed hard. But I am thinking that I am looking for a very quite tire that also handles well. This is my toy car so when it rains for a few days, I will most likely be driving the Explorer or Jeep. I was looking at the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110, Sumitomo HTR Z III, Kumho Ecsta 4X or the Continental ExtremeContact DW. Is anyone here unhappy with any of these tires?

It is one thing to read TireRack reviews, but that is not the same as hearing from Boxster owners exclusively. I do not want to spend a $1000 on this go around. I was thinking to either put two new P-Zero Rossi's in the rear since the fronts have better than 50% tread left or replacing all four with new tread. I love the feel of new tires...

2008 Land Rover LR3 Alaska White/Alpaca
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Dk Grey/Lt Grey
V-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
Newb

Anyone ?????
Old 12-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
If you plan to drive the car in below 40f weather on a regular basis, Shoe it up with all season tires. If not, any of the summer tires mentioned will work. I would put a pair of Hankook V12s on the rear and be done.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Sorry I've tried a few but nothing comes close to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports I got installed, balanced, including tax (out the door) for $1100. Never flatspot, quiet, and turn-ins are fantastic. I had Fuzions last time and they stuck to the road like glue, flat spotted for about 3 miles and were noisy at low speed . I had the Hankooks V12s when I had 17 inch rims and didn't like the way they felt at high speeds on highway, twisties they felt fine.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350 View Post
Sorry I've tried a few but nothing comes close to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports I got installed, balanced, including tax (out the door) for $1100. Never flatspot, quiet, and turn-ins are fantastic. I had Fuzions last time and they stuck to the road like glue, flat spotted for about 3 miles and were noisy at low speed . I had the Hankooks V12s when I had 17 inch rims and didn't like the way they felt at high speeds on highway, twisties they felt fine.
How has the wear been on the Michelin's? I do like flat and straight tracking on the highway.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
If you plan to drive the car in below 40f weather on a regular basis, Shoe it up with all season tires. If not, any of the summer tires mentioned will work. I would put a pair of Hankook V12s on the rear and be done.
I will not be driving in under 40 degree temps very often. But have never mixed front and rear brands of tires. Well not since I was 17 and through on whatever I could get.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Rod View Post
I will not be driving in under 40 degree temps very often. But have never mixed front and rear brands of tires. Well not since I was 17 and through on whatever I could get.
As long as the tires are of similar design, treadwear, and grip levels they work fine. I have actually mix-and-matched quite often in 8 years with this car. Now running max summer tires on the front and A/S tires on the rear would be treacherous. My brother tried it once and managed to put his car in the weeds after only 10 minutes driving. Off they came.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

I'd seriously consider just replacing the rears. It doesn't seem that you hate the tires you have now and the fronts have more than 50% tread left. Plus, this is probably the cheapest route.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #9
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
How has the wear been on the Michelin's? I do like flat and straight tracking on the highway.
Too early to tell, and with these cars it's all about driving style and alignment when it comes to wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I'd seriously consider just replacing the rears. It doesn't seem that you hate the tires you have now and the fronts have more than 50% tread left. Plus, this is probably the cheapest route.
I'll have to +1 this.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #10

Garage
Had very bad experience with the last set of michelins. 3 of the 4 failed within the 1st 3 months with bubbles on the sidewalls. still had 9/32 tread and michelin screamed road hazard and would not stand behind them. I have 2 other porsches with hankook v12's on them. never a problem. hold just as well as michelin, wet or dry. Last longer. balance better. and cost half as much. Michelin lost a 40 year loyal customer when I got a bad set and they did not stand behind them. According to the customer service GIRL they assigned to me, any sidewall separation of the sidewall has to be my fault and never a manufacturing defect. I am certain she has probably seen a rire, but doubt that she ever actually touched one. For my money, hankook. Now have them on everything. Best deal I have found is discounttiredirect on the net. Very good prices, great service and quick shipping
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #11

I recently got 4 Hankooks from Tirerack for about $550 installed. When I first got them they were very squiirmy, but after a few heat cyclesand about 200 milees, the firmed up and now they handle great. Haven't gone on the track with them yet, but they are good on the street.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:07 AM   #12

Garage
I've always been intrigued by the Nitto series of tires .
Old 12-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Had very bad experience with the last set of michelins. 3 of the 4 failed within the 1st 3 months with bubbles on the sidewalls. still had 9/32 tread and michelin screamed road hazard and would not stand behind them. I have 2 other porsches with hankook v12's on them. never a problem. hold just as well as michelin, wet or dry. Last longer. balance better. and cost half as much. Michelin lost a 40 year loyal customer when I got a bad set and they did not stand behind them. According to the customer service GIRL they assigned to me, any sidewall separation of the sidewall has to be my fault and never a manufacturing defect. I am certain she has probably seen a rire, but doubt that she ever actually touched one. For my money, hankook. Now have them on everything. Best deal I have found is discounttiredirect on the net. Very good prices, great service and quick shipping
I'm sure you heard the term "impact damage" at some point in the conversation since that is what causes the bubble on the sidewall. I am also guessing the tire never failed. It just developed the bubble on the sidewall caused by the impact break to the inner air chamber layer which allows the air to escape & cause the bubble.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
I have always considered tires a major part of the outside appearance of a car. Therefore I won't downgrade with anything inferior to OEM components. The quickest & easiest way to alter the performance & appearance of a motor vehicle is by changing the tires. When I inspect a vehicle for sale the tires tell alot about how it was maintained & driven. To me downgrading tires is simular to replacing a Porsche spoiler with universal 1 size fits some E-bay spoiler.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #15
Newb

Hankook from Tire Rack it is. Now I got to find a place that can mount without a scratch and balance these perfectly. Then I will check all the suspension bushings before getting an alignment which is another subject unto itself.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #16
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
If you have always been intrigued. What has stopped you from trying them?
Old 12-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I'm sure you heard the term "impact damage" at some point in the conversation since that is what causes the bubble on the sidewall. I am also guessing the tire never failed. It just developed the bubble on the sidewall caused by the impact break to the inner air chamber layer which allows the air to escape & cause the bubble.
I am familiar with the term and what happens and it didn't. I drive all 3 porsches exclusively, about the same number of miles and in the same manner on the same roads. I know when and if I hit a pothole, etc and it didn't happen. What are the odds that 3 of the 4 tires on one car would be the victims of the alledged impace damage while none of the hankooks had a problem. And in a 3 month period. The 3rd one to go bad even had 2 bubbles both on the outside sidewall directly across from each other.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #18

I have Hankook Ventus V12s on 19's and they do everything I need them to... I have tried to loose grip on spirited country drives and really had to push the car more then I was comfortable. The hold like glue.
jesseborgelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
If you have always been intrigued. What has stopped you from trying them?
I currently have a set of Goodyear F1's that have 95+ percent still on them. Maybe in the future I'll give the Nitto Invo, NT05 or NT450 a try .
Old 12-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #20

I just got a set of mich pilot sport A/S plus at costco for a grand total of $930. Since my girl is a daily driver I needed all seasons, and I chose mich because the car came with them when I bought it a year ago. I can vouch for this tires as one of the best tires I have ever driven on. The old set were in pretty bad shape because the owner didn't use the car that much so they were slightly dry rotted. By the time I replaced them you could probably take a chunk off the tire and they were pretty slick in the back. It was bad, but even in the bad condition they were in, they kept me pretty safe and in the dry still griped like glue. They were also very tough tires that could take a hit.

I was infortunate enough to have someone change lanes onto me a while ago on my way to newark. I was in the right lane and to avoid getting hit I hit the curb at around 50mph. The tire held together and even held enough air for me to reach the nearest autozone to get my spare on. When I inspected the tire it had tare on the side wall and no damage to the rim.

Now with the new set it feels good and with minimal road noise. I still have to try them in the wet so I am hoping they are good. They also look really agressive and I like that. The only down side to the tires is that they are quite expensive.

Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote