Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #1

Installing Oil Air Separator thoughts

This past weekend, my car went from the rarely smoking on start up to "OMG I'm at a rock concert and the smoke machine is going crazy!" So after some research here and other sites, it made sense to replace the AOS.

I've got a 2001 Boxster with around 85,000 miles on it so it made sense. I'm not a mechanic in the least but a regular DIY kind of guy. Unlike most repairs on the Box that are amazingly easy, this one is not even close for the only reason that it's a freakin' pain to get to. Be patient. Be patient. Take a break. Come back and be patient.

I got as many hoses out of the way as possible first. Removed the top hose first because it's easy and I wanted to trick myself into thinking this was going to be a quick two hour job. HAH! About 5 hours later, it's done. The smoking stopped, although the idle is just a bit off. I'm guessing once I take it for a long drive it'll be fine or else I'll need to clean the MAF.

Wayne's book from Pelican Parts has you work from both the top and under the car to do this job. I'd say that was best idea. Pedro's Garage has it all from the top with a lot of other stuff coming off.

The hose on the bottom is the one that's going to make you curse and throw wrenches. Before you even start this job, get a spring hose clamp tool like the one listed in Wayne's book. It still won't be super easy but you'll get it done and you'll save yourself a couple of hundred dollars in labor.

Lastly, Wayne's book suggests that you replace the hose that connects from the AOS to the throttle body. I bought one but didn't need it as the one on the car worked fine.

Hope this helps others who want to attack this project. Good luck!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18...7/mgaside2.jpg
impboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Welcome to the club! Fun wasn't it. Thanks for the writeup. I did mine while I had the transmission out and it still wasn't fun, though much easier then the oil file tube.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350 View Post
Welcome to the club! Fun wasn't it. Thanks for the writeup. I did mine while I had the transmission out and it still wasn't fun, though much easier then the oil file tube.
Hope it will go easier for me.
Trans is going down this weekend, and hope to compleate the AOS, coolant tank and oil fill tube.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #4

[QUOTE=impboy;318800]
The hose on the bottom is the one that's going to make you curse and throw wrenches. Before you even start this job, get a spring hose clamp tool like the one listed in Wayne's book.
QUOTE]
I've done a few of these myself. The first time did take several hrs. This hose you mentioned, the best way to remove this is just to cut it and pull the AOS out. The new AOS does come with a new hose. When installing the hose make sure you use a clamp that has either a hex screw or scred driver nut to loosen/tighten.

This method saves you a lot of frustration.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #5

And in retrospect, I would have used a screw type clamp for the bottom hose instead of the spring clamps. Then I would have used a swivel head wrench with about a 6" extension and just screwed that sucker, going in from under the car.

Saving myself about $200 to $300 in labor and the satisfaction of doing it myself makes me want to do this--->:dance:

Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #6

Garage
I commend all of you on doing this project yourselves!
I needed a new AOS a few months back and all the talk of how much a pain in the butt it was and the fact that I could barely see it, let alone get my hands in there lead me to bring it to a highly rated local indy shop. They were very quick and reasonably priced. For me, the 5 hours of frustration I saved was worth the labor charge this time, but it was a tough decision because I have done all the other mods and repairs myself.
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #7

cas951 I like your tip the most. I'll do it that way when my time comes.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:39 AM   #8

I just did the AOS last week-end. I agree, it take lots of patient. About the bottom hose, pelican part sell a clip holder that work wonder.

Wawa
wawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #9

Garage
Friggin pain in ze butt!
Took me a whole day replacing the thing from the top.
You really, really need a cable operated clamp tool, about $30 at Sears.
Would I pay $200 for an Indie to do it next time? Yeah, probably.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwhzn View Post
Friggin pain in ze butt!
Took me a whole day replacing the thing from the top.
You really, really need a cable operated clamp tool, about $30 at Sears.
Would I pay $200 for an Indie to do it next time? Yeah, probably.
At $200 yes I would have it done. My quotes from a dealer a few indipendent shops were far more. Cheapest was 1200 and as much as $2200. I had a TIp tranny and they said it had to be removed. Took me about 4 hrs the first time I did this on a Tip tranny. I've done two more since and took less than 2 hrs.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #11

[QUOTE=cas951;318805]
Quote:
Originally Posted by impboy View Post
The hose on the bottom is the one that's going to make you curse and throw wrenches. Before you even start this job, get a spring hose clamp tool like the one listed in Wayne's book.
QUOTE]
I've done a few of these myself. The first time did take several hrs. This hose you mentioned, the best way to remove this is just to cut it and pull the AOS out. The new AOS does come with a new hose. When installing the hose make sure you use a clamp that has either a hex screw or scred driver nut to loosen/tighten.

This method saves you a lot of frustration.
+1 I also recommend the screw type clamps.
SF-Rockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #12

UPDATE

So I started getting a very small oil leak right after I did the AOS. From what I can tell, it's the rear main seal. I talked to my mechanic who does the stuff I can't. First, he said I saved myself a bunch of money doing it myself. He said he charges 3 hours for the project. Anyone getting it for $200 is getting a deal. He recommended that I go back and make 100% sure it's not the bottom hose from the AOS, which I'll try to tackle in the very near future. Lastly, he said that he prefers the spring clamps over the screw clamp because he said most people over tighten the screw clamps and the clamp with the hose start working their way off the engine. He's a former Porsche dealer mechanic with over 20 years experience, for what it's worth.

He even encouraged me to do the RMS myself. "If you can do the AOS, you can do the RMS." I still think I'll leave that to him when the time comes to have it done. My bruises from the AOS install are just going away.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Look very closely where the new AOS plugs into the crank. The new red seal is much harder to push in than the old style ones, if you didn't get it all the way in it could be leaking there too. I'd bet you have a small leak that is making it look like you have an RMS leak.

Keep us posted...oh and bright flashlights help find the leaky places.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #14

So I finally got under the car to check for the leak. Yep, it was the bottom hose from the AOS. The hose wasn't properly seated. I tried getting the spring clamp back on it but it was such a pain in the butt that I switched to a screw clamp and all went well. I still have an oil leak but not from the AOS. I still think that the RMS is going to need repair.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #15
midlifechrisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350 View Post
Look very closely where the new AOS plugs into the crank. The new red seal is much harder to push in than the old style ones, if you didn't get it all the way in it could be leaking there too. I'd bet you have a small leak that is making it look like you have an RMS leak.

Keep us posted...oh and bright flashlights help find the leaky places.
^I agree! I had to do this shortly after i bought by 986 last year. I think it took me longer to get the thing with the red seal seated all the way in than it took to get the spring clamp back on!!!!! i believe i had to use a long prybar to get the leverage to push it in. i think if someone had offered to do it for $200 i would take it gladly, rather than fight with it for 5 hours myself!!! but its the same reason i did the ignition upgrade myself-to save the money and because i could.
Drphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #16

Sorry that it's been awhile since I updated this post. It turns out that I did a great job installing the AOS (according to my mechanic). The bad news is that it's RMS. His suggestion was to wait until something else needed work like the clutch going out and try to get it all done at once. I'm going to live with 1/4 to 1/2 a quart of oil loss each month until I need to pull the trigger to get the car fixed.

Still love my Box though...

Old 11-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #17

getting the tube in the crankcase

im having issues getting the tube into the crackcase any suggestions? i can only get it in so far
thanks

jonthon2 is offline   Reply With Quote