Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2005, 06:32 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
What is a OBD II reader?

Can someone please inform me of what a OBD II reader is? Could someone also inform me on what a OBD II is?

Old 11-01-2005, 08:28 PM   #2

On-Board Diagnostics = ODB. An ODB-2 computer stores diagnostic information about your car, most of it pertaining to emissions, but some of it being useful for tuning perposes and such. AN ODB-2 reader is usually used to pull diagonistic information off of the computer as trouble codes. THey'll have codes for all sorts of things, like misfires, bad O2 sensors, etc.

There are a ton of people out there that sell ODB-2 cables and software for Palm devices and PCs. I don't know if 986 is ODB-2 compliant or not, and I'm guessing the 987 isn't at all.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 05:10 AM   #3

I believe that all Boxsters are OBD 2 compliant. At least here in CA, I believe that is mandated, tied to emissions. All cars have to plug into the smog machines here, which I believe are OBD 1 and 2 ready.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 10:02 AM   #4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
There are a ton of people out there that sell ODB-2 cables and software for Palm devices and PCs. I don't know if 986 is ODB-2 compliant or not, and I'm guessing the 987 isn't at all.
They both most certainly are OBD-II compliant; I think all US market cars since '95 (not sure about the year) have to be. As for Ol' Dirty Bastard (ODB as above) compliant, I'm not so sure....

I don't know who if anyone sells the software you'd need to interface with your Porsche, a company called Ross-Tech makes the excellent program for all VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda cars. For the 987, you'd probably also need an interface (the cable) that works with a CAN setup (CAN="Controller Area Network", I think?) That's the new communications mode a lot of new cars use, and I'm assuming Porsche does, too.
John Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 10:11 AM   #5

All US cars sold with a year model of 1996 and younger had to be OBD enabled for smog testing if I'm not mistaken.

I know this because my 97 Accord can be checked just about anywhere state inspections are offered. Emissions are measured electronically through the pre and post cat oxygen sensors.

My 95 Lexus, however, has to be taken to a shop where they can run the engine in gear (rear wheels are on rollers in the shop floor) so a manual reading can be made from the back of the tailpipe.

Porsche has their own version of OBD called PST, now in it's second version. But it's far more than a cable... it has a laptop with a touch screen attached to the wire and plug, and can not only diagnose but reset and set all sorts of things, which a standard OBD II tool can't do.

Hope this helps!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:47 AM   #6

Oh of course, with the 986 it would have had to have been ODB-2, but I was thinking that maybe the 987 is compliant with something newer. I have no idea.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 12:25 PM   #7

Can we use the data?

I am wondering, if it is possible to access that data with in-car computer(carputer?). I think it would be good to have the access to there.

Do you know anyone did a modification like that? I am thinking about other uses for incar PC, not gps, mp3s but some other useful stuff as well.
bolkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 12:52 PM   #8

If you have a Check Enging Light and need to access the code(s) that are causing the problem, find an AutoZone and borrow their reader. I know,,,,I did this two days ago. You will have to put up a $170.00 deposit (plus tax), to borrow it. Some have suggested that you can ask people at AutoZone to read it for you, but according to CA laws, they are technically not allowed.
Anyway,,,,the entire check took 2 minutes. Once you have the codes, you can erase them with the reader. Then take the reader back and they will credit your card the full amount.
IF you drive the car to the store, you can do the check in the parking lot and return the reader immediately.
FYI, the adapter port is above the fuse box on the left!

Mike
mccarrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 07:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
All US cars sold with a year model of 1996 and younger had to be OBD enabled for smog testing if I'm not mistaken.
Close.

Model year 1996 required all autos sold in the U.S. to be OBD-II compliant. If your car is 1995 or older, it's OBD, or some other type of computer as it gets older, but not a common connector for all models. OBD-II made it a standard with a common connector and more darn sensors to fail.

There are two types of OBD-II readers. One is the "cheapo" type that just reads the code and gives you the code number or the number and meaning of the code. It also allows you to clear the codes when you fix something.

The other is one that can read the codes, clear them and also read and record sensor readings and general computer readings to help with diagnostics. Several of these also allow you to re-program the computer (like the chips that cost $$$) for certain (mostly American made) computer modules. They usually plug into a laptop or a Palm to use the screen and recording ability.

The plain readers run $20-$200 and the other type runs $150-$300.

http://www.obdii.com is where I got my reader/recorder/programer for $180.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:03 PM   #10

For your info, Boxster in Japan must have OBD-II or it will not pass inspection. Inspection cost $2500 and must be done once for every 2 year for a new car (must be because of the Kyoto Pact) . Yearly inspection is mandatory for car that is older than 10 years.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolkar
I am wondering, if it is possible to access that data with in-car computer(carputer?). I think it would be good to have the access to there.

Do you know anyone did a modification like that? I am thinking about other uses for incar PC, not gps, mp3s but some other useful stuff as well.
Bolkar, you can get OBD kits for a CarPC, have a look in the OBD forum at www.mp3car.com I have a PC permanently installed in my car, I don't do OBD with it just MP3's, GPS and live car tracking soon.

ukchris is offline   Reply With Quote