Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #1

Intermittent Rubbing Noise Left Rear Wheels

Hi All

I've been searching these forum's for ages and have found numerous threads relating to rubbing noises coming from the rear wheel areas but no real firm ideas to exactly what might be causing it.

A few weeks ago, I notice my 2003 boxster s started making occasional rubbing noises, particularly when turning right. It’s slowly getting loader and more regular but seems to relate to the rate at which the wheel is turning and happens in or out of gear. Breaking doesn't seem to make much difference.

I’ve taken it to the dealer and after telling me it was the discs / rotas and pads and after replacing them, the noise was still there. They also adjusted my hand brake / emergency brake.

I returned it to them and following more investigations, they informed me that there was nothing wrong with the car. Obviously, when I took the chief mechanic for a test drive, it didn’t make the noise but typically it started making the noise on the way home. I’m not imagining it though!

I can sometimes induce the noise by turning v hard to the right.

Anyone got any fresh ideas?

Stupot4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #2

Garage
You sure its not the power steering pump behind you in the engine bay.... check the level of the fluid.... If it's low on fluid it could make strange noises unless you're absolutely sure its coming from the wheels (can you feel it?).
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
Ex Esso kid

Does it sound like metal to metal? If not remove both fronts and visually inspect the wheel wells if it's rubbing somewhere in there it will leave evidence.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #4

Heiko: Not checked the power steering fluid but would low levels lead to intermittent rubbing noise? Will check tomorrow as can't actually feel anything. Sounds more like a tyre or pad brake pad rubbing...

Ghostrider: It sounds like the tyre is rubbing on the wheel arch but there is loads of clearance and no obvious signs of rubbing. Would have thought the porsche guys would pick up on that when they checked it over....
Old 12-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot4 View Post
Hi All

I've been searching these forum's for ages and have found numerous threads relating to rubbing noises coming from the rear wheel areas but no real firm ideas to exactly what might be causing it.

A few weeks ago, I notice my 2003 boxster s started making occasional rubbing noises, particularly when turning right. It’s slowly getting loader and more regular but seems to relate to the rate at which the wheel is turning and happens in or out of gear. Breaking doesn't seem to make much difference.

I’ve taken it to the dealer and after telling me it was the discs / rotas and pads and after replacing them, the noise was still there. They also adjusted my hand brake / emergency brake.

I returned it to them and following more investigations, they informed me that there was nothing wrong with the car. Obviously, when I took the chief mechanic for a test drive, it didn’t make the noise but typically it started making the noise on the way home. I’m not imagining it though!

I can sometimes induce the noise by turning v hard to the right.

Anyone got any fresh ideas?
Hi, & welcome to the forum. Thank you for searching the forum prior to starting a new thread. Wheel bearing noise starts out very intermittently & the best way to make it happen is explained in your last sentence. The dealer mechanic should have checked this due to your original complaint but perhaps did not. If you drive next to a solid wall at night when it's quiet, you can hear noises much better & help pinpoint the source.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Hi, & welcome to the forum. Thank you for searching the forum prior to starting a new thread. Wheel bearing noise starts out very intermittently & the best way to make it happen is explained in your last sentence. The dealer mechanic should have checked this due to your original complaint but perhaps did not. If you drive next to a solid wall at night when it's quiet, you can hear noises much better & help pinpoint the source.
Hi BYpro and thank you.

I have to say, that's my gut feeling but I mentioned that to the guys at Porsche so would be pretty gutted if they hadn't checked it. I have jacked the car up and not noticed any play in the wheel but will try driving close to a wall as you suggest. I've got the wife to drive it round in circles while I listened for any noises but couldn't hear it at slow speed....
Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #7

Garage
If the pump goes dry when you put pressure on the steering rack by turning it could make strange noises. If a tire rubbed in the wheel well I would think you would feel it.... I would check everything that moves like drive shafts (check for play), jack the car and give the wheel a firm tug side to side and top to bottom to see if there is noticable play or not. I've also seen the splash shields behind the rotors (if they are too close to the rotor) scrape when turning which causes that type of noise (those splash shields are thin metal and bend easily so take a look)
Heiko
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
Ex Esso kid

My only thought was a lot of owners have changed tire sizes and wheels, a new purchaser would not necessarily know hence the rub thought. When a caliper is hanging up or a rotor is warped or rubbing a pad it many times sounds like metal on metal, hence that question. PS pump and fluid level are certainly good follow up check items.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #9

Garage
Look at your e-Brake cable, when I had upgraded to after market 18" wheels I needed to tie wrap the e-brake cable back so not to rub, after a couple years the tie-wrap broke and I got a rubbing sound from the rear drivers side tire.
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Hi BYpro and thank you.

I have to say, that's my gut feeling but I mentioned that to the guys at Porsche so would be pretty gutted if they hadn't checked it. I have jacked the car up and not noticed any play in the wheel but will try driving close to a wall as you suggest. I've got the wife to drive it round in circles while I listened for any noises but couldn't hear it at slow speed....
i just replaced a horribly worn wheel bearing in my 2002 S i too jacked the car up to check for play in the wheel-there was absolutely none..but the noise would increase/decrease with turning.
oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
If the pump goes dry when you put pressure on the steering rack by turning it could make strange noises. If a tire rubbed in the wheel well I would think you would feel it.... I would check everything that moves like drive shafts (check for play), jack the car and give the wheel a firm tug side to side and top to bottom to see if there is noticable play or not. I've also seen the splash shields behind the rotors (if they are too close to the rotor) scrape when turning which causes that type of noise (those splash shields are thin metal and bend easily so take a look)
Heiko
I'll jack it up in the morning and give it a good once over - thanks for the thoughts. Read about the splash shield this evening and will have a look at it too...
Old 12-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
My only thought was a lot of owners have changed tire sizes and wheels, a new purchaser would not necessarily know hence the rub thought. When a caliper is hanging up or a rotor is warped or rubbing a pad it many times sounds like metal on metal, hence that question. PS pump and fluid level are certainly good follow up check items.
thanks ghost - it's on the list
Old 12-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster6354 View Post
Look at your e-Brake cable, when I had upgraded to after market 18" wheels I needed to tie wrap the e-brake cable back so not to rub, after a couple years the tie-wrap broke and I got a rubbing sound from the rear drivers side tire.
cheers boxster - i've only had a quick look at that but will look at it while i've got it jacked up tomorrow as that is the sort of sound i'd expect it to make as it's not a metalic type sound - appreciate the thoughts....
Old 01-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #14

Just a quick update on this thread - turns out it was a wheel bearing.....seemed to be allowing enough movement to just rub against the brake shield....
Old 01-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Just a quick update on this thread - turns out it was a wheel bearing.....seemed to be allowing enough movement to just rub against the brake shield....
I had the same issue but it actually just needed new nuts and bolts on the axles to the wheel bearings.

sixpact is offline   Reply With Quote