Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2005, 02:23 PM   #1
bmussatti

Heat Sinks

I was looking at stuff on Eagleday's web-site, and one thing I noticed was an oil filter heat sink. They claim a 12% cooling effect. Does anyone use these or believe in this type of product?

Old 10-27-2005, 05:50 PM   #2

Need to see a picture of the product.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:44 PM   #3

Eagle Day oil filter heat sink
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:57 AM   #4

Hi,

First off, the Boxster Filter is a Cartridge Type Filter, not the Cannister Type shown in the picture.

This would mean that you'd have to attach the Heat Sink to the Filter Cover which is made of ThermoPlastic. There appears to be a Worm Type Clamp which secures the Heat Sink to the Filter. My primary concern would be that you could quite easily overtighten it and crack the Filter Cover, distort it (from the Clamp) and have issues with it properly sealing, or have difficulty in keeping the Heat Sink secure.

Secondly, the location of the filter was not selected to make it a cooling point for the Oil, and so I question how much airflow is present to carry away the heat from the Heat Sink, considerably reducing it's efficacy.

Finally, I wonder if this isn't a solution looking for a problem so far as the Boxster is concerned. The engine already has an Oil/Water Heat Exchanger and this is probably more than sufficient for the Oil Cooling requirements.

I guess it may help, but not very much. Considering the cost and the added difficulty in changing the Oil (removing and reinstalling the Heat Sink each time), I'd pass on it. I can see where it has merits for other applications, such as my 240Z, but not on the Boxster. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 10-28-2005 at 06:40 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote