Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2005, 11:13 AM   #1

Are there any affordable aftermarket wheels?

It seems like every manufacturer I've seen that makes 987 aftermarket wheels prices them in the $1000-a-piece range.

Are there any wheels that won't look embarrassing on a 987 that are more around $500-a-piece? I'd just can't imagine spending $5000+ on a set of new wheels and tires. All that money just because I would like to have a pretty polished lip.... blah.

eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:18 AM   #2

I think your only option left is a no name manufacturer for around $3,000 a set for rims AND tires for 19's.

My Forgeline 19's from NR Auto I purchased through Brandywine Porsche (dealer) for $4000 net NO TAX with tires FREE Shipping (2-piece Version)

Hope that info helps.

As for a no name brand, I stopped by a wheel/rim shop in Lake Forest on the corner of Lake Forest blvd. and Rockfield. Walked in and he gave me the price. It would take 6 weeks for wheels to arrive. I don't remember the brand.

KRZ

Last edited by KRZTACO; 10-21-2005 at 11:21 AM.
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:19 AM   #3
bmussatti

eslai, I have seen nice Porsche wheels on e-bay for your price range. Just type in "Porsche Boxster" and you'll get about 25 pages of stuff to look through.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:29 AM   #4
tmc

Tirerack shows a Turbo Twist 18" clone Mille Miglia (sp?) for about $350 per rim plus rubber (so $650 or so depending on your tire tastes).
tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:39 AM   #5

I'm currently looking for OEM 18" 987S wheels for my track set. Let me know if anyone is selling. I don't need/want any tires on them.
Carl AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:26 PM   #6

Thanks for the info guys, I'll keep it all in mind.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 06:30 AM   #7
tmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl AMG
I'm currently looking for OEM 18" 987S wheels for my track set. Let me know if anyone is selling. I don't need/want any tires on them.
Bummer for you as you missed my set I just sold here
tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 07:21 AM   #8

What is wrong with your existing wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
It seems like every manufacturer I've seen that makes 987 aftermarket wheels prices them in the $1000-a-piece range.

Are there any wheels that won't look embarrassing on a 987 that are more around $500-a-piece? I'd just can't imagine spending $5000+ on a set of new wheels and tires. All that money just because I would like to have a pretty polished lip.... blah.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 06:31 AM   #9

Sometimes you can find the expensive wheels pretty cheap if you don't mind buying them used. I found my Gemballa Competition 18's in a local newspaper ad the day I bought my '01. $2,000 which included tires. They had Hoosier racing tires on them when I bought them. They were in perfect shape and were a rich guy's track wheels and tires that had very little use on them. When I went to pick them up, they also gave me a roll bar extension, racing seat belts, and a fire extinguisher and mount. I was able to sell everything but the wheels on the Boxster Racing Board. By the time I bought new tires and had them mounted, my out of pocket was only $1,200.

Of course, you would have to be comfortable with used wheels. Most Porsche owners take exceptional care of their cars, so finding a pristine set shouldn't prove too difficult.

There is also a guy on eBay that sells BBS clones for around $1,500......
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 07:28 AM   #10

I too am searching for some wheels... my ROH's are heavy and beat up. I also think one of the front ones is bent a little, which is why I can't get the front tires balanced properly for the life of me. I still have some steering wheel shake at speed (75-100).

Does anyone know if I can get Discount Tires can tell me if my rims are out of whack or if it's just an out of round tire?

BTW - Tire rack has some good deals on Mille Miglia 18's with the proper width and offset for a Boxster that look a lot like Carrerra lights... but you can't put Porsche center caps in them, which seems to bother me. In your opinion, should this really matter to me, or am I just being too much of a logo whore?

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 10-23-2005 at 07:30 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 11:51 AM   #11

Randall,

A good wheel/alignment shop can tell you if the wheel is bad vs. alignment.

Discount Tire? Likely no!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 06:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc
Bummer for you as you missed my set I just sold here
No bummer for me. As stated in my post, I don't want (to pay for new) tires. I just need wheels.

Thanks,

Carl

Carl AMG is offline   Reply With Quote