Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2005, 02:40 AM   #1

Question Squeaky Brakes

The brakes on my '97 Boxster squeak but not all the time. The brakes themselves are fine but the intermittent squeaking is annoying. Is there anything I can do short of replacement?

porscheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:28 AM   #2

Try the dampers. They plug into the caliper piston and stick to the back side of the brake pad. That keeps the pad from vibrating and causing noise.

I will try to find the site I got them from and post it for you later, but I know they're available at some of the big Porsche parts marketers.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:44 AM   #3

Hi,

All Brake squeal is due to vibration of either the Pads or the Rotors. It can indicate worn Pads (the Pad loses Mass as it wears making it more susceptible to vibration). Glazed Pads can also have an increased tendency to squeal. It can mean the Rotor(s) is warped. It can be from a sticking Caliper or E-Brake mechanism. Finally, the temperature of the components can also lead to squealing. Occaisionally, the squeal is nothing at all, either Temp or Pad Compound related, once the Pads Heat up or Cool down, the squeal goes away. But in any event warrants further investigation. First, try to isolate which Brake is squealing, then investigate that Brake.

The Brakes are The most important system on your Car. There's Sage advice in the addage: You can't have the Go without the Whoa!

There are a number of products out there which you can apply to the backing of the Pads to diminish vibration, these either change the Mass of the pads or provide a vibration absorbing compound such as Silicone. Also, you can remove the Pads and using a 40-80 Grit Sandpaper, rough up the face of the Pads and/or chamfer the edges (especially the Top and Bottom) at a 45° Angle. But, be sure to eliminate any of the issues listed above to insure your Brakes are in good working order - don't just think that since the Cars stops or that no performance decrease is felt that none of these exist. Any or all of the above should cure the issue. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 06:19 AM   #4
bmussatti

Porscheman, I found this on the PCA Tech Section:

"No, your Boxster should not really have any brake noises. One of the thing I see is that the pads are really hard and depending how and where you drive, your pads can glaze up and give you wierd noises. Tiptronics are the worst, since you use your brakes to slow down the car instead of your gearbox in a stickshift. Try braking later and harder, not to use the pedal as much and to wash out your brake pads using a nozzle and a hose from your house.

Peter Smith - PCA WebSite - 9/17/2002"
Old 10-20-2005, 07:00 AM   #5

Thanks, to everyone for the replies. I'm quite sure the brakes are OK because When I purchased the car a month ago it went through and passed the safety (or am I being naive?), but also my neighbor who is quite the car guy (domestic only) agreed that the brakes seem fine. He also suggested scuffing the pads.

porscheman is offline   Reply With Quote