Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
jakesbox

Oil Change

Changed my oil in the box today..first time on this car. WOW - that was a lot of oil coming out all at once. FYI - if you are doing this on your own, and have not done so yet, get the biggest oil tank holder AND BIGGEST HOLE/OPENING in that tank you can find. I bought the one off Pelican - holds 15 quarts which is great, but the hole is tiny and I almost had an overflow...I was about 2 drops away from all the oil gushing over. thank god it slowed down....

My Speedster with its 1600CC motor took only 2.5 quarts of oil so the old oil pan I had was smaller. I would NOT recommend the one on Pelican as again - the hole/opening the oil drains into is really way to small.

Any way, took it out for a drive, drove the piss out of it and now will let it sit and see if I have any leaks!

2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Congrat's on the DIY! And yes, all of that oil comes out fast. I've had to resort to using my finger to plug the oil drain hole for a minute to allow the oil collecting in the top of the pan to drain down so I could continue.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Congrat's on the DIY! And yes, all of that oil comes out fast. I've had to resort to using my finger to plug the oil drain hole for a minute to allow the oil collecting in the top of the pan to drain down so I could continue.
Damn I should have thought about that! But the oil was pretty hot. Good news is - and I have not cut it open yet - that my filter looks clear as can be. I think I saw one maybe two flakes in my initial lookover.

Anyone know the best way to cut this filter open? Didnt know if there was a special way.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
Old 11-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
still plays with cars...

Garage
Just cut off the end caps at the filter media and roll it out. Hope it's cleaner than mine was...
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
...but the hole is tiny and I almost had an overflow...I was about 2 drops away from all the oil gushing over. thank god it slowed down....
I am assuming that there's a vent of some sort on the Pelican drain pan -- you must make certain it's open before unleashing the gusher!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
I am assuming that there's a vent of some sort on the Pelican drain pan -- you must make certain it's open before unleashing the gusher!
Oh theres a vent and it was open!
Old 11-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #7

Garage
I use a large bucket; it ain't pretty, but it works.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Congrats! I find oil changes on the Boxster to be kind of cathartic through the man-machine bond.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:06 AM   #9
l3m

I did my 3rd oil change yesterday. I use this 10-qt. oil drain. Small, easy to use and transport to the local Walmart for oil recycling.

The top opening is large and has a removable plastic mesh guard so I can unscrew the drain plug and let it fall without worrying about hot oil getting on my hand.

Last edited by l3m; 11-30-2012 at 04:10 AM.
l3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
... But the oil was pretty hot.
I wear a pair of reusable thick rubber gloves!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
Homeboy981

Garage
When I worked in Saudi we built 20+ Motocross tracks in the desert, from being bored mostly.

We went around to all the truck oil change places, they GAVE US used oil in 55 gallon drums. It took dozens of barrels to make one track. We used a front end loaders and mixed up the "ashtray sand" with the oil to make 100% super fine MX track material!

It was good stuff. They made golf courses out of it too! You had to use "Winter Rules" when you played and place the ball on fake Astroturf, but I digress...

I didn't see any birds dropping out of the sky or dead seals. Just lots of smiles from fans. We even had their military out watching us race and later drew a crow while practicing! It wasn't oily, but WAS good incentive NOT to fall down because you would get yucked up - besides risking being run over!

MY WIFE RODE TOO. We dressed her up, most of her was covered with MX gear, (YES she HAD to WEAR a chest protector tho). She looked like a guy and some of the locals almost fainted when she took off her helmet and the blonde hair fell out! (NOTE: Ladies ARE STRICTLY FORBIDDEN to drive there - the locals even gave our U.S. Military static about female drivers - except our Military had machine guns, the dispute ended there).

The point is, a few gallons of oil is not going to 'ruin the environment'. Besides, can you see lugging an oil container in a Porsche? Now, if you live in the city, that MAY BE a different story…but in an ashtray? No big deal.

So, I guess you could say I left a lasting 'impression'!