Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
Newb

Do I Walk Away or Buy It & Fix It?

I am supposed to be picking up my 1999 Boxster early next week. After looking at the CarFax report and noticing that most of all its service was done at a Porsche dealer, I decided to call them and see what service information they would share with me. The service manager was great and he new the car well. He said it did not have the IMS done yet but it had been in for two air conditioning recharges this past summer and fall. In Sept. a dye test was performed and the pair of front condensers had small leaks. In September it was in their shop for a rough idle and they recommended all new coils (they had cracks) and plugs, the owner opted to do only the one failed coil and he also opted for new front rotors and pads and an oil change as he had stated that he was going to be trading it in and did not want to sink a bunch of money into it. The service manager said that if I attempted to change any of the five plugs, the coils would most likely fall apart during the process.

So for peace of mind it appears that If I did go forward I would need to do this hit list early on in this order.

1 - 5 Coils & Plugs
2 - IMS & Clutch or IMS Guardian
3 - Serpentine Belt
4 - AC Condensers

I do not mind wrenching and at times really enjoy it. How easy is it to replace the condensers? I have watched the IMS replacement and while the bearing is not to much of a job, how much of a job is dropping the transmission to get to that point? The plugs seem to be a job I would dig into. How hard is it to replace the coils?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input and advice.

V-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #2

If this is a car you are really serious about, get a PPI. Then, a lot depends on the miles and price.

There are so many used Boxsters out there it is a buyers market. Just based on what you have posted, I would pass. Anyone that doesn't do the small maintenance items has definitely skipped the bigger ones.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
Ex Esso kid

+1 Chuck nailed it, unless for some reason you are enchanted with this car. Any Porsche owner that utters the words "I didn't want to put a bunch of money in it" is a guy I would walk away from.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 11-27-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
Newb

Chuck,

Thanks for your reply. Actually it had been maintained very well by the Porsche dealer that sold it new in 1999 and and up through its owners after that.

It was only this past summer when the current owner needed to recharge the AC a couple of times and then had a rough idle and misfire did he decide to trade it in. He fixed the bad coil and front brakes then traded it in. Other than that it is in exceptional condition.

I just spoke to the dealer that I am set to close on this and explained to them my concerns over the coils and condensers. They are going to get back to me. He also mentioned that all of their certified (by them) used cars come with a 3 year/100K mile power-train warranty. I wonder how they would deal with an IMS failure....

Here are a couple of pics.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #5

Definitely get a PPI. Then use the full info from it to negotiate price hard.

A Boxster is one of the easiest vehicle to wrench on. That said, and even though it's a 13 almost 14 yo vehicle, many parts are priced like it's a brand new $60k Boxster. FWIW, replacing condensers is easy w/ simple removal of bumper skin.

Good luck but don't be afraid to move on as there are countless nice Boxsters out there for sale.

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
Ex Esso kid

Don't wonder whether they would replace an item like the IMS ask them and if it's yes get it in writing. I disagree with Boxster being an easy car to wrench on. That is totally dependent on what's wrong with it. Rebuilding an engine with quad camshafts, variable valve timing and in some cases five chains is not a small block V8 job.

PS It looks nice but my roller would have looked just as nice parked in tandem, with 29K on the clock, remember that

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 11-27-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
recycledsixtie

Garage
This car shows well but being at a Porsche dealership they likely want top $$$$ for it. Dont buy the first one you see(or fall in love with it - kind of like women!)Look at others. I bought a 2001 Boxster 2 years ago. I tried a 99 911 and a Boxster before I decided on the one I got. Definitely have a PPI done on the one u decide on.

I prefer buying privately as I like to meet the seller. Each one to their own. I have had installed the ims guardian and spent about $3k in the 1.5 years I have owned it. The other posters have excellent comments. Again do not be in a hurry.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #8

how much do they want for it?

and if its coming with a 3 year warranty I think thats a great deal, most used cars come with the "ha ha now its your problem" warranty
rayner@r2specracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
Newb

recycledsixtie, It's actually at a Honda dealer a few towns away from the Porsche dealer. If I choose to fix everything that concerns me at this point it looks like this.

Around $2,350.

5x coils and 6x plugs = $250
2x AC condesers = $650
1x IMS Bearing Kit w/tool (LN) = $800
1x Clutch Kit w/tool = $500
1x Oil filter and Oil = $80
1x Serpentine Belt OEM = $60

Plus a winter of garage wrenching (Therapy).
Old 11-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
Newb

rayner@r2specracing,

I am paying $12,400. which includes the $400 3yr. Powertrain Warranty.

I am trying to get them to pickup the replacement of the coils and condensers.

I am not thinking that they will pick up the condensers but I bet they come back with an offer to take care of 5 new coils and plugs.

I have looked at a bunch, but I was specifically looking for a dark blue with tan interior. I have always preferred tan or beige interiors in all my vehicles. I even make that criteria when I rent vehicles (which I do as much as drive my own).

Why are there so few with this color combination?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Sounds like the biggest selling point for you is the color combination...and I fully understand that, you have to like looking at the car you buy. Have you hung out on this forum for a while, members do sell their cars and some of them are really nice. If you have read about doing the IMS and it seems easy then doing the coils is a piece of cake. Dropping the transmission the first time is a pretty big job, I did it. Next time would be a breeze.

How long have you been looking? On this particular car I would get a PPI for sure. The selling dealer should also agree to do the AC work or they agree to drop it by that much.

You are doing the right homework and asking the right questions. If the IMS not being changed will bother you I would keep looking and find one that has it done and spend the extra money.

Good luck!
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #12
Newb

WhipE350,

I appreciate your feedback. Well they got back to me and just as I expected, they are going to do the five coils and six plugs. I am going to squeeze them for $$ towards the condensers but they already stated that they will not do them.

As for the IMS, I actually do want to do it myself as it is some wrenching experience that I want to do as well. I used to take apart Triumph TR6's down to the frame and rebuild them from scratch. It has been about 25 years since I did that last. but I miss it. So it will be good.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
Ex Esso kid

V rod, maybe they wont eat the total condenser replacement cost but you might try negotiating for a reduced rate on that repair before you buy it.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #14

Why would a good dealer retail a car that is broken ? Dealers wholesale cars that have problems that would put them upside down in cost vs sale price. Be careful. Get everything in writing, no verbal bs.
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #15

Car looks great, price is good, Nada say retail 13.4k, high trade in 10.4, so you still have some room to negotiate. When dealers take a car in trade, they always negotiate so that they will still make money if they get low trade in for the car, which is around wholesale, in your case around 7.8k. If you want the car, start at 8k, pointing out all the repairs that have to be done and see what their counter is.

As far as replacing the IMSB, if it comes with a 3 yr power train warranty, why in the world replace right away? Wait until the warranty is about to expire and then do it.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #16

Is it just me, or does the Temp. on the gauge show a little on the high side?

I would budget for a water pump as well.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #17

Everyone makes it sound like you should pass because it needs work. How many 14 yr old used cars are pristine? If you're going in with eyes wide open, I say go for it.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #18

Garage
I'd say its a lucky thing to find a car that has a maintenance and service history... many cars for sale are impossible to track. So knowing you have access to the full service history means a lot... if the car is flawless other than a few item you now know it needs then I would say, "take the costs to catch up the servicing into consideration" and if the cost is still good, you'll have a near perfect car, with all the services done and have the full history - hard to beat
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #19

Garage
Right color combo, service history, dealer taking care of some of the obvious - I would go for it IF you feel good about it. No matter what, plan on spending some money. I spread my search far and wide and took my time to find what I wanted. No matter which one you end up getting, there is just no way to know when the next component will break. The power train warranty will help ease your mind.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #20

V-rod:

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet. It concerns the A/C.

I'd suggest having the A/C system fully leak tested using a sniffer. Your biggest concern is whether the evaporators leaks. If it is leaking, you are facing a complete removal of the dash. It's about a 10 hour job out and in. While out, you'll need to replace the evaporator with a new space conditioning box with a new evaporator already installed inside or a rebuild of the box with a new evaporator. The box is sealed and must be opened up to remove the evaporator.

My local dealer charges $1800 for the box with evaporator. I've seen other dealers charge about $1300. I think Pelican sells the same OEM box with evaporator for about $700. I've seen evaporators themselves sell for about $250.

If the system is fully charged, the shop should test for a leak under the dash. If a leak is detected, it could be the expansion valve or the evaporator. A dye test on my car revealed that the expansion valve was leaking even though the shop detected refrigerant inside the passenger compartment.Apparently, the fan was sucking the refrigerant into the car. If you don't find a leak inside the car, the most likely the condensers are the source of the loss of refrigerant. As others have mentioned, these are easy to replace after removing the bumper cover.

The pictures look great

Thom

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote