Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2005, 09:10 PM   #1

Owners with beige /tan interior, please help

I am considering a 2005 boxster. black on gray. however, I saw a tan interior and thought it was beautiful and may jump ship.

What are your thoughts on maintanence? I would think it would be a lot harder to keep clean, especially for a convertible. And after time leather creases would trap dirt. Do you use any special leather cleaner? How good is Porsche leather compared to BMW's "montana leather"?

Thank you in advance.

coiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 09:42 PM   #2

Let me start by saying that I've owned nothing but convertibles for the last ten years (just picked up my fourth) and full leather in a convertible makes no sense. Frankly, synthetic leatherette stands up to the abuses of time and the elements better than anything that ever came off an animal.

That being said, my experience with black leather is:

Shows dust and wear much more than tan in the same way that wear shows up on black paint more than silver. Definitely is "hotter" to contend with in warm weather. However if you spill something serious on it, it naturally doesn't show up like it would on tan.

I agree that tan looks nicer, particularly on a dark colored car, and even more so if that car is a Boxster. It does show dirt more (notice I didn't say dust and wear) than black, but not to the point where it's annoying (and I drive exclusively top down).

I've seen the full leather on the 987 and it looks like a maintenance nightmare. When you say tan leather interior I assume you mean the standard 987 package where only the seats (and only parts thereof) are leather. Surprisingly, with my tan interior, I find the synthetic parts more of a maintenance issue, particularly the dashboard, which can tend to look "grimy" if not maintained now and then.

I think Lexol products are pretty universally agreed upon as the best leather treatment.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:52 PM   #3

@SD987

Hi,

I totally agree that the Savannah Beige looks spectacular in a Boxster. That's what I looked for and got in mine.

But for leather care, the very best out there is Leatherique - Bar None! It is recommended by the Rolls Royce Club of America and I have used it exclusively for 10 years on my Magnolia (Tan) Connelly Leather interior of my Lotus Esprit, which is now 21 years old and looks and feels like new.

Their Pristine Clean will get anything out of the leather including Ballpoint Pen Ink (ask me how I know), yet leave the leather refreshed and new. Their Rejuvenator Oil will make even make hard, parched, leather like new. Check them out at: http://www.leatherique.org/ They've been around a whole lot longer than Lexol or any of the other popular leather treatments.

I have used Lexol and it clogs the pores of the leather and dries it out prematurely. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 10-09-2005 at 10:56 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:48 AM   #4
bmussatti

Just to clarify and contribute a few points here.

1) The leather in the 987 is Sand Beige (code TD for Standard Leather and code TG for Full Leather) not Savannah Beige as possibly stated by MNBoxster. I would descride the Savannah Beige as more "yellow" or "mustard". IMHO the Sand Beige is a great leather color.

2) Another great leather color for the 987 is the Cocoa (code RA). Only available as Full Leather. Kinda looks like a new-"old" Bomber Jacket.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Just to clarify and contribute a few points here.

1) The leather in the 987 is Sand Beige (code TD for Standard Leather and code TG for Full Leather) not Savannah Beige as possibly stated by MNBoxster. I would descride the Savannah Beige as more "yellow" or "mustard". IMHO the Sand Beige is a great leather color.

2) Another great leather color for the 987 is the Cocoa (code RA). Only available as Full Leather. Kinda looks like a new-"old" Bomber Jacket.
Hi,

You're right about the different colors. Mine is Savannah though. I meant to say that the Tan/Beige, any Tan, looks great!

Tan leathers traditionally speak of higher quality. In the past, only the finest hides were reserved for Tan and lighter colors because any blemishes in the hides (scars, barbed-wire marks, etc.) would show through. Because of this, Tan leathers also usually used to cost more. Today, modern Fillers and Dyes have made many lesser grade hides available for Tan color, but I think the reputation for Tan lives on.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:36 AM   #6

the best color in maintance terms IMHO is

RED!

My friend with an SL500 in light gray interior is constantly complimenting how well maintained my interior looks.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:09 AM   #7

Hi, I have an '04 986S with a standard Savannah Beige interior. I've got about 9K miles. I have no difficulty keeping it clean. The Beige looks great! So great that I wish I had ordered the car with the full leather interior.

good luck

bob
BoxsterSbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:37 AM   #8

I have the Basalt Black and Sand Beige interior. My top is down everyday and the interior looks great. There are all sorts of leather cleaner out there and I'm sure they all work great...I just happen to use Sonus Leather Cleaner and it works just fine.

Go for the Beige! Guinness on the outside...Harp Lager on the inside. That was my inspiration for my color combination...Black and Tan! Cheers.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSbob
Hi, I have an '04 986S with a standard Savannah Beige interior. I've got about 9K miles. I have no difficulty keeping it clean. The Beige looks great! So great that I wish I had ordered the car with the full leather interior.

good luck

bob
My Box is same as Bob's right down to miles and with Basalt Black exterior. I had same quandary with the light grey interior. Glad I went beige. Only problem is glare on windshield. The new sand beige is better than Savannah in my opinion.

You can't make a bad choice in this case.,,,,,,,,,mike
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 03:31 PM   #10

Cocoa and Beige Interiors

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Another great leather color for the 987 is the Cocoa (code RA). Only available as Full Leather. Kinda looks like a new-"old" Bomber Jacket.
We have the Cocoa full leather. Not only does it look great, but it doesn't appear to heat up as much as the black leather, in the full sun we get in Texas. Haven't had a beige leather convertible so can't compare the difference in heating due to sun.

My wife has had two vehicles in a row with beige leather interiors (Volvo and BMW) and it is a great color also.

'04 Boxster S 550 SE
grease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 04:30 PM   #11

I drive an '04 with a sand beige interior and have had no trouble keeping it looking good. I use Maguiars leather wipes and Vinylx for the dash - nothin' fancy and the car is pristine! Now - the Beige carpet is another story - anyone have any tips on keeping it clean. I have Lloyd rubber mats which do help some.
tonyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 04:40 PM   #12

Beige Floor Mats

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg
I drive an '04 with a sand beige interior and have had no trouble keeping it looking good. I use Maguiars leather wipes and Vinylx for the dash - nothin' fancy and the car is pristine! Now - the Beige carpet is another story - anyone have any tips on keeping it clean. I have Lloyd rubber mats which do help some.
My wife Scotchguarded the beige floormats in her 530i. They are easier to clean now.

'04 Boxster S 550 SE
grease is offline   Reply With Quote