Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2005, 04:04 PM   #1

Boxster car cover instruction sheet

I resently purchased a 01 Boxster which came with an OEM cover. Does anyone happen to have an instruction sheet for the cover that they could share? Thanks in advance.

Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:11 PM   #2

Hi,

I'm not sure that an instruction sheet ever came with my OEM cover, I don't remember it if it did.

But, in a nutshell, you want to put the cover on with the Top up and starting from the Front, align the cover, and pass it over the Front toward the Rear (The SilverGuard Cover says 'Porsche' on the Front and 'Boxster' on the Rear). When you get to the 'A' Pillar, slip the Mirrors into the mirror pockets and proceed moving the cover toward the rear of the Car. Once at the Rear, slip it over the Rear Bumper then make sure both sides are pulled down to cover the sides. That's it!

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 04:34 AM   #3

Thanks Jim
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:31 PM   #4

One thing to avoid is the idea of "sliding" the cover on. If there is any grit anywhere, you're begging for scratches. When I take the cover on/off, I do more of a "roll" motion, much like when a lady removes her stockings in the old movies.

OK, some might view this as a bit of a purist move, but you're doing the cover to protect the finish - so why not go the whole way? The difference in time is negligible (and may even be faster as there's no futzing with alignment... see below).

So, to share the technique: To remove the cover, I effectively turn the cover inside out, starting at the rear bumper and then go around to do the front. For each, I pull the cover off by starting at the elastic hem and lifting it the hem up over the part of the cover which remains on the bumper so it the hem never slides across the paint, just cover material.

By now, the two sides are effectively folded up in half with the fold right around the bottom of the mirrors, so it is easy to pull the cover off of them. This leaves the cover lying all on top of the car from the front to back in a neat strip. Starting at the back, I roll the cover up like a window shade (but loosely) from the rear up over the roof and end at the front. This leaves a neat package to put inside the storage bag.

Applying the cover is effectively just the reverse, rolling it out from the front towards the rear, applying it over the front bumper, side mirrors and then the rear bumper.

Using this technique means the cover never flops around, never slides on the paint and is always oriented in the same direction for easy application.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donv
One thing to avoid is the idea of "sliding" the cover on. If there is any grit anywhere, you're begging for scratches. When I take the cover on/off, I do more of a "roll" motion, much like when a lady removes her stockings in the old movies.

OK, some might view this as a bit of a purist move, but you're doing the cover to protect the finish - so why not go the whole way? The difference in time is negligible (and may even be faster as there's no futzing with alignment... see below).

So, to share the technique: To remove the cover, I effectively turn the cover inside out, starting at the rear bumper and then go around to do the front. For each, I pull the cover off by starting at the elastic hem and lifting it the hem up over the part of the cover which remains on the bumper so it the hem never slides across the paint, just cover material.

By now, the two sides are effectively folded up in half with the fold right around the bottom of the mirrors, so it is easy to pull the cover off of them. This leaves the cover lying all on top of the car from the front to back in a neat strip. Starting at the back, I roll the cover up like a window shade (but loosely) from the rear up over the roof and end at the front. This leaves a neat package to put inside the storage bag.

Applying the cover is effectively just the reverse, rolling it out from the front towards the rear, applying it over the front bumper, side mirrors and then the rear bumper.

Using this technique means the cover never flops around, never slides on the paint and is always oriented in the same direction for easy application.

Hi,

Thanks for this. I neglected to say that I never put the cover on without first dusting the car (my car is never dirty - don't drive in rain, never allow it to get dirty). Putting it on over a dirty, dusty surface is just asking for scratches. I too use the roll method you describe...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote