Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2005, 05:02 PM   #1

Radio buzzing/distortion

I have an 01' Box with the CDR-220 cd player/external amp. The radio has a loud buzzing noise that is heard through the speakers on occasion. Usually in a 30 minute drive, it will buzz intermittently 4 or 5 times. It's not a panel or speaker cover - it's coming through the speaker and sounds like some sort of electrical interference - and it's loud! This is my second 01' and the other one did it too, but not as frequently. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know what the solution is? I'm guessing that lots of folks have encountered it if I've only had two Boxsters and BOTH did it. I'm thinking I might just replace the radio with an aftermarket unit, but am wondering whether it's worth taking it to the dealer to see if they can solve the buzzing.

Killertraylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:50 AM   #2

Hi,

Is the buzzing RPM dependent? Or does it respond to differing RPMs? If so, it is possible that it is your Alternator. When one or more of the phases fail, due to a fault in the Windings or the Diodes, it can make the sound you describe.

If not, most stereo noise is a Ground Issue. Check all the Grounding points as well as for chafed wiring which may be going to Ground.

Absent both of these, you may have a problem with the Amplifier or Head Unit. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:23 PM   #3

Any correlation with cell phone use (either a call or SMS, etc.)? Just a thought, but I'm able to tell when a call or message is coming in before the phone rings. I can hear the phone "talking" to the cell to set up the ring. This happens while I'm on a land line phone or with the amplified speakers on my PC, etc.

Something has to be periodic about what you're encountering as you say it comes and goes. The loose ground is a sound idea (no pun intended ) as that could change as you drive. An alternator issue is likely constantly there, but may change frequency with speed.

More symptom info may help us to provide more help. Does it vary with engine speed, temperature, roughness of the road, etc? Does it always happen when you pass that police station on your way to work? And so on...

I have a 2001 and have never encountered any loud noise from the stereo, so this is not "normal"... or at least not a standard feature of the 2001s.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:22 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. It isn't RPM dependent - it does it throughout the gears and doesn't sound like alternator whine - I've had that on other cars where you can actually hear it in the stereo and it gets louder as you accellerate. This is a mono-tone buzz - kinda like someone tapping on a telegraph - buzz, bu buz buz buzzzzzzz. Doesn't correlate to cel phone use and it happens totally intermittently - can't connect it to anything I'm doing or where I'm travelling. I think I'll just take it in to the dealership and see if they can figure it out. I'm somewhat suprised nobody else has experienced it since I've had it on both of my 01's! Just unlucky I guess.

Killertraylor is offline   Reply With Quote