Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Current:

DME report?

I've come across "DME report" a few time here and in the 987 forum. Can anyone explain what a "DME report" is for a noob? I'm not sure if I had this done when I had my PPI for 09' non-s. Should I have this done before my factory warranty expires?

Thanks,

Justin

jrider36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

DME is the Digital Motor Electronics or ECU (Electronic Control Unit) that manages all aspects of engine control (ignition timing, fuel injection, oxygen sensor feedback, and numerous other functions). The DME can store faults that it detects and in some cases the DME will alert the owner of a serious fault by illuminating the Check Engine Light (CEL) on the dashboard.

A DME report is generated by using the proper test equipment to read out any engine faults that have been stored in the DME or ECU memory.

This is an important part of the pre-purchase inspection (PPI). Take a look at your PPI and it might have a section for engine faults or codes - that would be the DME report.

As long as your check engine light isn't on, then there really isn't any reason to check for engine problem codes unless you are curious or have some other reason to look into it.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 11-20-2012 at 08:12 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Current:

Thanks. To the point, got it...
jrider36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:32 AM   #4

A "DME Report" when part of a PPI is done to look into how the car was driven and possibly abused. A thorough and proper PPI includes a DME report, especially on later model Porsches.

Porsche also uses the DME report for warranty claims to determine, among several issues, if the engine has been over-reved, or 'chipped', just to name a couple.

In older Boxsters (986 and 996) the DME only captured 2 ranges of over-revs. Over revs in range 1 were considered "OK". While over-revs in range 2 were "bad" and pointed to the owner missing a down shift. You can get range 1 over-revs from hitting the rev-limiter in strong acceleration and shifting at or near redline. Range 2's occur on a missed down shift (and spins) since the rev-limiter does not work 'on the way down'.

In the 987/997 series Porsches, the DME started capturing 6 ranges of over revs. Range 1 and range 2 are "OK" and normal. I would suggest range 3 is not good. Range 4 is a bit of a gray area. And range 5 and 6 starts to mean Porsche will deny a warranty claim for abuse.

In the DME Report, a time stamp (in total engine hours) is noted when the most recent event occurred. This gives very valuable info, as well.

Another way a DME Report is part of a proper PPI is to somewhat validate the car's mileage. You can calculate the average MPH, and make a judgment if it is consistent with the car's history and condition. Also give indication if the car was mainly city or highway driven.

Here are some DME over-rev ranges:
Attached Images

Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:34 AM   #5

DME memory also has an over-rev report, so you can see if the PO over-revved the engine, usually by downshifting while already at high rpm's.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:55 AM   #6
Homeboy981

Garage
The numbers in each of those Ranges represent "the number of ignitions" and NOT the number of occurrences. To make one revolution, in a 6 cylinder, it would take 6 ignitions.

When I first read the report, I thought it HAD HAPPENED that many times! So, take the number given, i.e., Range 1 & 2, and divide by 6 to determine how many revs were made in that Range.

Hopefully that will shed some light. My car had Range 2 overrevs, the bad kind, but knowing that it was ignitions instead of occurrences made me feel "somewhat" better.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:21 AM   #7

Here's what you would see with Durametric -- over rev counts with total operating hours.

The Durametric site also has info on the relationship between operating hours and miles driven for used car buyers:

http://www.durametric.com/usedporschebuyersguide.aspx

Regards,

paul...

Last edited by paulv; 11-21-2012 at 06:31 AM. Reason: added used car buying info
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
The numbers in each of those Ranges represent "the number of ignitions" and NOT the number of occurrences. To make one revolution, in a 6 cylinder, it would take 6 ignitions.

When I first read the report, I thought it HAD HAPPENED that many times! So, take the number given, i.e., Range 1 & 2, and divide by 6 to determine how many revs were made in that Range.

Hopefully that will shed some light. My car had Range 2 overrevs, the bad kind, but knowing that it was ignitions instead of occurrences made me feel "somewhat" better.
The over revs are just an Indication of how the car was treated.

Its not like over revs on occasion are going to kill the engine.

The fuel cutoff usually takes car of it getting too far out of hand unless something stupid happened like your going 7200 rpm in 3rd and then shift hard and fast into 1st causing the engine to go over 9000 rpm.

Even then it will not likely kill it, but you are putting a lot of stress on the parts and increasing the chances of something failing.

I have learned that if you shift down 1 gear 2000 before redline you will never exceed redline and upshifts 1000 before redline are keeping you in the best part of power band.

Just my own observations with my 2001 Boxster S.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote