Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 05:33 AM   #1

Garage
Passenger Window rail change causes security system problem?

I don't know if anyone's seen this before, but here are the stats & symptoms:
Stats:
2001 Boxster S, ~70K miles, okay condition.
Passenger window rail system replaced back in June. (done by me).

Symptoms:
About a month ago, the vehicle would beep twice when being unlocked. The passenger window doesn't drop when the door is opened in this state. I can raise & lower the window just fine though, and if I lock the car while the door is open, the window will drop & I can close the door. It lifts back up normally at that point, but the car beeps once to note that there's a problem with the security system.
The oddities are that it only happens on the passenger door (the one that was worked on), and does not happen at all if it's a bit cool outside (in about the low 60's or lower). Also, as mentioned, this just started about a month ago, and the replacement was done back in June.

I found documentation stating that it's the security system that's giving the beeps, but nothing about how to trace down the symptoms or sensors.

Anyone got any Ideas?

One other item is that the airbag warning light is on. I forgot on the re-assembly side & connected the battery for a moment before having the airbag re-attached. Everything I've read states that it has to go to the shop to get that cleared, but there's not one in my general vicinity.

Blessings to all, and a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Bill.

billfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:59 AM   #2

I have an 01S.

Several months ago, I replaced the passenger side regulator because the window would not drop when I opened the car. Shortly afterward, the central locking system started to act up. I would get various symptoms. The most frequent one was the 'double beep' when I locked or unlocked the car.

There were many codes. The most important one turned out to be one that indicated that the locking system wasn't synchronizing. The problem was intermittent. It happened most frequently when the car was out in the sun. I don't ever recall it happening at night. I also had an airbag light on.

The root of the problem was very hard to pin down. I guessed it was the locking mechanism on the passenger side when the window acted weird when pulling up on the door handle or releasing it.

The fix was to replace the passengerr door latch. My best guess is that one of its sensors failed or was in the process of failing and the central locking system could tell the position of the window or door handle.

Since the latch was replaced, the double beep symptom has not happened again.

PS: many independent shops have a computers that can turn off the airbag light. Try calling around to see if a local one can perform this service for you.
So my guess is that you have a bad the door latch.

Last edited by thom4782; 11-20-2012 at 06:01 AM. Reason: added PS
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
security system , windows