Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2005, 01:12 PM   #1
bmussatti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Windstop

What is the best way to keep the windstop window clean and clear?

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:24 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 7,240
I install it, then wipe it both sides with windex which I've sprayed on a microfiber towel. The windex does not seem to scratch the lexan and works well. Mine shows ever little fingerprint though. Grrr.
__________________
'97 Boxster (Black Hole for 42,000 Dead Presidents and counting) - 122k
New motor, transmission, suspension, and on and on and on it goes...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:27 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 874
....um..don't touch it with your oily hands?

Aside from that I've found normal auto glass/cleaner and a soft towel to work well for a long period of time. The windstop also scratches easier than auto-glass would so be careful. I try not to use anything too strong as it might remove the 'PORSCHE' lettering I've attached to mine, which incidentally is a very nice look (IMHO).
__________________
http://i7.tinypic.com/24ovngk.jpghttp://i7.tinypic.com/24ow0id.jpg

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:42 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,417
Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Where did you get the Porsche letting from?
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:43 PM   #5
Registered User
 
deliriousga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA!!
Posts: 1,159
Careful with the Windex.

Ammonia will turn the plexiglass yellow over time (ask me how I know this ). You should use a plastic cleaner like Plexus or the cleaner you would use for your rear plastic window and try not to touch it after eating pizza in the Boxster.
__________________
1987 928S4 Silver Metallic (980)/Navy (TP) 5-Speed
2000 Boxster Speed Yellow/Black 5-Speed
1966 Wife White/Brown Top
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:48 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 874
blinkwatt:

From eBay, I can highly recommend this rjcalnan seller (no affiliation).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-Windstop-Decal-Boxster-987-986-Stickers-Set_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6755QQitemZ45773100 49QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I went with the bright silver color, looks great with the midnight blue. He also sends you two decals in case you screw one up, which of course I did.
__________________
http://i7.tinypic.com/24ovngk.jpghttp://i7.tinypic.com/24ow0id.jpg

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:59 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: U.S.
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
blinkwatt:

From eBay, I can highly recommend this rjcalnan seller (no affiliation).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-Windstop-Decal-Boxster-987-986-Stickers-Set_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6755QQitemZ45773100 49QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I went with the bright silver color, looks great with the midnight blue. He also sends you two decals in case you screw one up, which of course I did.
Same here. I have nothing but good to say about that guy as well.
gRed04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:57 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Rail26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: El Paso
Posts: 1,147
My windstop looks like crap...I use windex and a micro fiber on it and I still see tons of stuff on it. It looks like I wipped it with crisco. I also have the same problems on my windshield. Any suggestions? I think it might be from all the oil spewing Mexican cars driving around here. I have even used soap and water to no avail.
__________________
'05 987 Basalt Black/Sand Beige
5 spd, 18" wheels
AH-64 Apache
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:09 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
My windstop looks like crap...I use windex and a micro fiber on it and I still see tons of stuff on it. It looks like I wipped it with crisco. I also have the same problems on my windshield. Any suggestions? I think it might be from all the oil spewing Mexican cars driving around here. I have even used soap and water to no avail.
Hi,

I use a microfibre towel and Denatured Alcohol. Cleans grease and doesn't streak.

Also, at $4/qt. it's cheaper than many dedicated cleaners which don't outperform it. Get it at any Paint or Hardware Store.

PS - It also makes a great Charcoal Lighter, no nasty kerosene taste - just be sure to stand back when you light it!

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:47 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,033
Windex is not meant to be used on plastic as mentioned earlier so I use detailing spray from Maguires with much success. No streaks and clear as could be.
__________________
'03 3.2L GuardsRed/Blk/Blk---6Spd
Options: Litronics, 18" Carrera lights, Bose sound, Painted to match roll bars.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...Mautocross.jpg
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:32 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Warren, Oregon
Posts: 19
I use the Invisible Glass spray in the can that I use on my other windows and it works just fine. I usually use newspaper to clean the windows, but if I don't have some handy, I'll use a microfiber towel that has been washed a few times to get rid of the lint.
Killertraylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:26 AM   #12
bmussatti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

I use a microfibre towel and Denatured Alcohol. Cleans grease and doesn't streak.

Also, at $4/qt. it's cheaper than many dedicated cleaners which don't outperform it. Get it at any Paint or Hardware Store.

PS - It also makes a great Charcoal Lighter, no nasty kerosene taste - just be sure to stand back when you light it!

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99



Hey Jim:

Interesting advice about the charcoal lighting benefit....I have to ask...do you have any eyebrows left!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:05 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Hey Jim:

Interesting advice about the charcoal lighting benefit....I have to ask...do you have any eyebrows left!
Hi,

Like I said..."just be sure to stand back when you light it!"
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:07 PM   #14
bmussatti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Like I said..."just be sure to stand back when you light it!"



I'll take that as a "no"!

  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page