Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #1

Garage
Spare key

Hi all,

I have a 1997 Box and need a spare key, any ideas where to buy a blank? Would prefer with Porsche logo.

Thanks

Dgrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #2

You must buy a key head with a transponder coded for your car. And you must buy a blank.

Be careful buying key heads off eBay. If it doesn't have the original hang tag with a barcode on it so the dealer can program it or its not the correct part number, you're screwed.

I'd call sunset imports in Oregon and buy both. Your local dealer will program it for you and cut the blank for about $100.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #3

Garage
With my car being a basic Boxster I didn't think the key had anything in it other than just the key. I open the car the old fashioned way with the lock in the door. Can I not just buy a black key and get it cut??
Old 10-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #4

I don't think so. Your key head has an anti-theft transponder in it even if I doesn't have an alarm system...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
pk2

Its not the transponder "pill" in your key that has to match anything. The "pill" has doesn't matter, the immobilizer has to be programed to match the "pill" to work. Than you just need a key shaft carved to turn the tumblers.

The catch is, if you get a Key off of eBay (for instance), with a(indeed) working "pill" you're only part way home. Your immobilizer Box has to be able to be programed to except a new pill. It only has four slots for such a new pill/codes. If your car has lost soms keys and had new ones programed, you may be out of pill slots. You'll need a new imobilizer.

If you just want to open the door but not start it, that's fairly cheap. Not a bad thing to have around but won't start the car.

Regards, PK

Last edited by pk2; 10-30-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: A bit bass-akwards,
pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #6

Garage
So do I need to go to a main Porsche garage?
Old 10-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #7

Yes...call around and find what they charge. I can get a new one from a dealer here in Florida for $185, cut and programmed.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote