Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #1

Clutch Life Livng in the City

I live in San Francisco, there are a lot of hills around the city. I need a new clutch at 30K miles. Does that sound about right?

hqduong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Sounds a bit early. Most seem to last >50K miles. Mine lasted to 92K.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
Ex Esso kid

Maybe a tad early but with a dual mass flywheel costing around a grand, early is better. You may wish to bleed the system, make sure that doesn't fix it. If you have not owned it from new you also do not know how good the PO was with the clutch, which is a huge factor in mileage wear. Lastly, if it's grabbing high, don't be surprised if a new disc grabs in the exact same spot, I think it has to do with all the new systems being hydraulic.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #4

SF finished off my clutch for me at 105K. It probably depends on your style of driving and how much traffic you sit in. I'm up on the weekends so there is less city traffic and I also tend to roll in 1st slowly before riding the clutch.

If you're in the hillier districts then 30K might even be good mileage! Some of those dead end hills are STEEP.

-Greg
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #5

I think driving style matters more than driving conditions. Looking after the clutch from a standing start obviously helps, but I think rev-matched downshifts are what really keeps the clutch going.

I bought my 2.5 with a very heavy clutch on 75k miles. People who know these cars and drove it said "yup, that's going to need a new clutch any day now". Well, here we are two and half years later and it's on 110k on the same clutch. I drive it like I stole it. It's very hilly where I live. But I rev match every down shift.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
Ex Esso kid

No downshifts are better yet, brake linings are cheap, synchronizers are not, downshifting may be fun but it's a lousy way to scrub off speed unless one cares nothing about repairs.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 10-29-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
No downshifts are better yet, brake linings are cheap, synchronizers are not, downshifting may be fun but it's a lousy way to scrub off speed unless one cares nothing about repairs.
Dad, is that you??

Truer words were never spoken, first time I've heard it here though. Clutches are expensive and make for crappy brakes. Brakes are are cheap and make for, well, great brakes. You're also giving your throwout bearing a work out every time you ride and slide the clutch. And Though these are strong gearboxes, your not doing your synchros and gears any good whipsawing them back and forth every 50 yrds.

Ideally, off the clutch, throwout, gears as much as possible around town (with out dogging the motor.) Pretend there all made of Chrystal. Save it for the track.

Regards, PK
Old 10-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
A properly executed downshift puts very little stress on syncros. If fact a non sycro "crash box" will tolerate downshifts if done properly.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
A properly executed downshift puts very little stress on syncros. If fact a non sycro "crash box" will tolerate downshifts if done properly.

Yeah maybe if Michael or Mario Andretti is the down-shifter, of course nether of them have to pay when they crush a gearbox. Hey your car your call. With my suggestion you never screw the pooch. I've been shifting since age six in my father's auto lot, I feel I'm as good with a gearbox as anyone with that kind of years on the job can be, especially since my brother and I dusted many junk car gearbox experimenting with every kind of shift; I still say the brakes is the better way to go.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 10-30-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
I think driving style matters more than driving conditions. Looking after the clutch from a standing start obviously helps, but I think rev-matched downshifts are what really keeps the clutch going.

I bought my 2.5 with a very heavy clutch on 75k miles. People who know these cars and drove it said "yup, that's going to need a new clutch any day now". Well, here we are two and half years later and it's on 110k on the same clutch. I drive it like I stole it. It's very hilly where I live. But I rev match every down shift.
I'm with you pothole! I am not leaving my clutch at the line but I will certainly downshift to remain able to control the car AT ALL TIMES, in case anything happens. I have seen people take it out of gear…and then float along. While it may seem like it you are conserving something, you are not thinking with your dipstick…it IS a dangerous world out there. This car is aided by being able to "steer from the rear" and by not using the proper gear, AT ALL TIMES, you are leaving yourself open IF/WHEN someone darts out and you're done!

Or….at the VERY LEAST your lap times will suffer!