Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Little brake dust after 335 mile trip...

I replaced the front pads on my 2007 Base with Akebono pads and couldn't be happier. I have them on the front of my 2000 'S' also and had used them on my Benz on all four wheels with low dust success too.

I drove to Asheville NC from Charlotte this weekend and here is how clean the rims were after the trip, just a small buildup at the lip where the inside of the rim meets the exterior part. With the original pads (probably a TMD brand Mintex/Textar/Parig) I would have this much dust in 15 miles. The Akebono are very quiet and feel much 'smoother' on firm braking.

I've not been able to find rear pads for either the 2000 'S' or the 2007. Does anyone know of a pad I can use on the rear that will be as dust free? Thanks!

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
Tricolour

Brake dust is intangible.
I could drive from Adelaide to Melbourne (800km) and have none.
I could have a squirt through the hills (80km) and make a real mess.
Only you know what to expect IMO.

Your wheels, wheel nuts and brakes look great for a 2000.
How far is Asheville NC from Charlotte.

Last edited by tricolour; 10-15-2012 at 12:38 AM.
tricolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:14 AM   #3

First, let me say that I'm really happy for you and hope you will post some updates and more information about the model of Akebono pad you used (they make several models, don't they?). I'm looking to replace my pads with something for street use that won't make a wash mandatory every week. Having said that, however, it's true that 300 miles on the highway won't generate as much dust from ANY pads as a few blocks of stop-and-go city driving. It's all about how much you use the brakes ... please post about your results again after some stop-and-go driving. Thanks!
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:42 AM   #4
Porscheectomy

If they are working, all pads will make dust. The matrix material of the pad determines the dust color and whether you will see it or not. Typically, ceramic and kevlar matrix pads are low in visible dust. I've run EBC reds and found them to be very good in performance and dust. But in general, I'd be more concerned about brake feel, fade and friction than dust production.

Last edited by blue2000s; 10-15-2012 at 11:35 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350 View Post
I've not been able to find rear pads for either the 2000 'S' or the 2007. Does anyone know of a pad I can use on the rear that will be as dust free? Thanks!
If low dust is a priority, ceramic pads are the best choice. The Akebono Euro Ceramic pad is available for the '00 S, and the Hawk Performance Ceramic is available for both the '00 S and the '07 base, all from Tire Rack.
welles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
These are front wheels on the 2007, rims are only 8000 miles old. The round trip with stops in Black Mountain for some fun twisty driving with a friend is 335 miles. To enjoy the trip I take twisty back roads for 3/4 of the trip. Correct highway driving produces very little that's why it is nice to do this much driving with a lot of braking and arrive home with wheels still looking nice. I have noticed the dust that is there is of a very clear nature, I assumed this was because they are the Akebono Euro Ceramic (EUR737 from Tire Rack), there still seems to be less. Are there studies that show dust whether light or dark is directly proportional to the effectiveness of a brake? Squirrel and Deer avoidance all within two miles of each other (just my luck) the brakes still worked like a good Boxster's brakes should...of course even at 80% they are better then most. Lug nuts have been painted, posted on it recently, ya I really like it, nice clean look. I'll see what I can find in Hawk for the rears. It seems folks comment a lot that they hate the 'visible' dust, since I'm a clean freak I thought those who are the same might like to see my experience with 3 cars using these pads. I've not noticed any loss in emergency braking, I do not track so I would have no idea how well they work there. I remember years ago I was skeptical about putting them on my E350 but after I did it I was so happy. Cheers.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:39 AM   #7

This is great for brake dust:
Attached Images

Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350 View Post
These are front wheels on the 2007, rims are only 8000 miles old. The round trip with stops in Black Mountain for some fun twisty driving with a friend is 335 miles. To enjoy the trip I take twisty back roads for 3/4 of the trip. Correct highway driving produces very little that's why it is nice to do this much driving with a lot of braking and arrive home with wheels still looking nice. I have noticed the dust that is there is of a very clear nature, I assumed this was because they are the Akebono Euro Ceramic (EUR737 from Tire Rack), there still seems to be less. Are there studies that show dust whether light or dark is directly proportional to the effectiveness of a brake? Squirrel and Deer avoidance all within two miles of each other (just my luck) the brakes still worked like a good Boxster's brakes should...of course even at 80% they are better then most. Lug nuts have been painted, posted on it recently, ya I really like it, nice clean look. I'll see what I can find in Hawk for the rears. It seems folks comment a lot that they hate the 'visible' dust, since I'm a clean freak I thought those who are the same might like to see my experience with 3 cars using these pads. I've not noticed any loss in emergency braking, I do not track so I would have no idea how well they work there. I remember years ago I was skeptical about putting them on my E350 but after I did it I was so happy. Cheers.
Hey Whip -
Do the Akebono Euro Ceramic (EUR737 from Tire Rack) pads accept the OEM brake sensors? I need pads soon and have been looking at these. I want good braking, but I don't track the car. I also want less brake dust if possible.
Thanks!
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN 986 View Post
Hey Whip -
Do the Akebono Euro Ceramic (EUR737 from Tire Rack) pads accept the OEM brake sensors? I need pads soon and have been looking at these. I want good braking, but I don't track the car. I also want less brake dust if possible.
Thanks!
The EUR737 I got did not have sensor holes, it's interesting all the other sets I have bought did. Not a concern for me because I'm always inspecting my car. The front brakes I put on my 2000 'S' were EUR776, if I look on the Akebono site they are for 911 from 2000 to 2004, it says a EUR917 is for the 2000 'S'. I'm guessing the same thing is in the box. For a 986 Base it says EUR737 front and EUR738 rear.

Trust me you'll love them, the braking is smooth, quiet, dust does not show nearly as much. This is just my view, I'm not affiliated with them, just an anal IT guy that loves to clean his wheels and not see them all dusty after 20 miles.