Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #1

Centic Rotors and Friction Master Pads

I've been offered a package of rotors and brake pads for a good price. I changed my front pads about a year ago and will be changing my rear pads in about a year. So, I don't need these immediately. But, the price is right and I will use them eventually. I have a 2000 base that I drive on the street, but will probably participate in a DE once or twice a year.

Does anyone have experience with Centric rotors and friction master pads? I checked the part numbers the seller sent me, and they are correct for my car. I searched the forum and did not find that anyone was using them, so I'm wondering if I should avoid being thrifty in this matter.

Rotors are Centic brand.
Part #s 12137030/12137031

Pads are Friction master, fronts are ceramic
Part #s CMX737/MX738

Thanks

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:36 AM   #2

I believe those are made in China...stay away. Go to Pelican and buy the Balo's, they where an OEM manufacturer and the rotors are German made. I installed them with Mintex Red Box pads on 2000 S...fit was just like the originals.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Rotors are rotors. Yes, some have nicer finish machining or painted top hats, but there is no signifiicant difference in the makeup of the metal that would make a German rotor "better" than a Chinese rotor. The difference is all in the secondary machinging/finishing operations.

Pads make all of the difference. I don't have any experience with Friction Master but the pad itself will make or break the braking performance and feel.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Rotors are rotors. Yes, some have nicer finish machining or painted top hats, but there is no signifiicant difference in the makeup of the metal that would make a German rotor "better" than a Chinese rotor. The difference is all in the secondary machinging/finishing operations.

Pads make all of the difference. I don't have any experience with Friction Master but the pad itself will make or break the braking performance and feel.
Cheap rotors under aggressive driving will usually warp. It's the cheap steel that causes this problem. Again, you get what you pay for.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #5

I have them on my car...

installed them about 3-4 months ago with new pads. I cannot remember exactly what pads they were (can look it up if it matters) but I think they were Centric as well. Some of the research I did online indicated that Centric made several different rotors for other companies that were "rebranded" as more premium brands. Again, I can't remember which brand it was but I can look it up if it matters. So far so good with mine...I did not get the painted hats and they have rusted but I eventually will get some high temp paint and spray the hats if it bothers me enough. I drive the car on the street exclusively and am of the opinion that rotors are rotors for the most part and unless you are driving the car really hard much of the time, you would not likely know the difference. So much of the premium pricing on aftermarket parts for these and similar cars is because of the notion that because they were relatively expensive to purchase new and/or exotic, the spare parts should cost an arm and a leg as well.

I am not doubting the quality of the European made parts, but am curious as to whether the quality of the metal is all that much better? I know China has had some weak steel in the past, but is the European stuff really all that much better now days?
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #6

buy cheap rotors and change the rotors when you change your pads!
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post

I have to disagree with this strongly, some of the Chinese rotors I used to toss on the Mountaineer actually had what looked like metal chunks fused into the cast. One time all they had was a more expensive rotor and a cheaper one so since it was the truck I ran em, the longevity wasn't even close. For 986, I like the Zimmerman rotors from Germany.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986 View Post
Cheap rotors under aggressive driving will usually warp. It's the cheap steel that causes this problem. Again, you get what you pay for.
I use cheap Chinese rotors and never seem to have a problem including tons of track days. Paying more is not always in good indicator of quality - sometimes yes, sometimes no.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #9
Ex Esso kid

I won't put them on my car, a winter rat? All day every day.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
What's cheaper than Balo? I have them and they seem very well made. If you don't me asking what was the good price? I do like having ceramic on front, it should help with dust.

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote