Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #1

Litronic Issues

I've been having an issue with my passenger litronic being intermittent, with no pattern on when it goes on or off. So after searching, I tried a couple things.

First, I swapped the bulbs. - No effect.

While doing so I noticed all the lights - side markers, fogs etc. flickered in unison. After searching I thought it might have been the headlight switch.

Second step was swapping the headlight switch. - This resulted in the driver side beam to flicker more than before, until I turned on the fogs. Once the fogs went on, the flickering stopped. Fogs off, flicker returns. The passenger side still didn't turn on. At this point I realized I havnt swapped ballasts to test them.

So third step was swapping the ballasts. - Now both lights dont turn on. Highs, fogs, daytime all work. It's only the litronics that don't turn on. Thinking it might be a loose connection, I made sure the ballasts were in tight, and the headlights went in correctly.

Now..I don't know what else to do or what else it could be. Does anyone have any ideas?

baldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Matt

There have been other similar posts but I can't remember what they were. Try a search on flickering and see what pops up. Otherwise, I would get it to the dealership and let them trace it.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighBoxster View Post
There have been other similar posts but I can't remember what they were. Try a search on flickering and see what pops up. Otherwise, I would get it to the dealership and let them trace it.
Thanks, so I searched and it says to try flipping the bulbs to make sure it wasn't that. So I did that.

Then I searched again, and it said that it's most likely the headlight switch. So I replaced that.

Then I searched again, and it said maybe it's the ballasts. Which I tried swapping before both my headlights now won't work.

So I searched on why that might be, and the headlight switch seems to be the likely culprit. Which I had already replaced. So I rechecked my installation.

I decided to give it one last search and the only other possible culprit is an ignition switch, but I don't have any difficulty turning the key or any of the other symptoms.

I searched again to see why I might have one headlight working before, but none now after swapping the ballasts; but I didn't see any relevant information.

So I decided to post.

But I did go back to do another search. There was nothing on this forum, but on RT and RL I was able to find that it might be a loose clip in the backside of the assembly. I'll check that tonight. If anyone has any additional suggestions, I'm all ears.

Last edited by baldi; 03-01-2012 at 06:53 AM. Reason: I was rude
Old 03-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Have you checked the grounds for the lights?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Have you checked the grounds for the lights?
I hadn't, but I just did and they're still grounded and secure.

I also went to take a look at the pins, and I think I may have found the issue. I noticed from both headlights I'm missing a pin (pics attached) Is that normal? That might explain why both headlights are out. If anyone has a diagram for what those pins are for, that would be awesome too (yes I'll search after I post this)

I also saw on the connector itself, I seem to be missing a metal receiving piece (pic also attached) Does anyone know how to remove the connector? I would like to inspect it further, but I'm afraid I might break the yellow clip holding it. I might remove the headlight tray to try to get to it, but if there's a secret to it (twist 10 degrees, push twice, pull once, tap your head, drink a beer, and tada!) then that would obviously be easier.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #6

BUMP

I'm having a similar issue on my driver's side low beam lamp. I figured it was burnt out so I replaced both low beams with genuine Philips D2S lamps.
Turned on the headlight switch, both work. Great!
Problem is that the drivers side lamp goes off after a while. The passenger side lamp works all the time. I have removed and reseated the drivers side headlight several times nut there has been no change. Works for a while, goes out. No flickering though.
Same problem as OP? Thoughts?
brianbiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #7

I had a similar issue and in my case the "female" receptor (the ones in the two last pictures posted) came loose. So when I pushed the headlight back in, instead of making contact it got pushed halfway out of the way and had either intermittent or no contact
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #8

It seems that each time you try something the symptoms change, but the common denomiator is that each time you make a change you remove and replace the headlight assemblies. That would point the finger towards the connectors, as you suspect.

If you remove your inner fender liners you will have clear access to those connectors from the back side, and you can check to make sure they are fully engaged.

Removing the headlight tray is just a matter of removing those three flat brass nuts and then lifting it off. Pull it forward and you will have better access to the yellow retaining clip that holds the connectors. Don't mess with the assemblies beneath those brass nuts or your headlights won't line up properley in their holes anymore.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #9

I have had the same problem and I think the solution is the connector on the car as pictured above. I took the wheel well out to access behind and found the connector was not lining up with the connector on the headlight assembly. Pushing down and in a bit while installing the headlight assembly I could feel it snap in and it worked once again. I have had some problems with the assembly coming loose as the pressure bar used to keep the assembly in place was not doing ot's job. I have another post about this near the beginning of this forum.

dpaisley325 is offline   Reply With Quote