Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #1

01 ignition locked up

Was cleaning up the carpet ,had left car door open for possible 20/30 and after that when I tried starting the car,the ignition is locked up,doesnt want to budge.The steering is locked & brake pedal feels stiff.
Not sure if there is something wrong with ignition mechanically or some fault/mode in car could cause this or battery voltage
Replaced both seats yesterday after that airbag warning was lit also the softop retracted warning were on .

tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Ex Esso kid

Can you remove the key? I had to disassemble, lubricate and reassemble my ignition twice, apparently they gum up easily. Good news is the Bentley book explains how to take it apart and lubricate it. You may also find it helpful to turn the wheel each way when you try to remove the key as sometimes the locking mechanism can effect key removal. If it's out, try a high quality spray into the lock (break free CLC) coat the key put that in and work it that way as well.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #3

You did try to move the steering wheel slightly while trying to turn the key didn't you? Sometimes the steering wheel lock gets into a bind and by moving the wheel slightly you can free up the bind on the ignition switch.

Update: I see I should have read the last post before replying.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #4

thanks guys.........after wiggling the steering hard either way,the locking mechanism unlocked.

tenere is offline   Reply With Quote