Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2017, 02:34 AM   #3641

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Installed my Tranzit Blu HF today. It is exactly what I was looking for. As far as I can tell I now have (near?) CD quality sound via my iPhone 7 for iTunes, Pandora, etc. I can't tell any difference from the CD player.

The Bluetooth connects immediately and the button control works without a hitch. I did have to increase my CDR23 head unit's volume level to 17-23 but no problem with interference, noise or distortion at all. Plenty of headroom left.

The CDR23 now displays/ scrolls the Tranzit connection message and it also displays/scrolls the song which is playing. Perfect and I'm still stock from the outside.

The only problem I have is that my new mic (upper left on CD tray) is not working I'll chase this down later. I left everything readily accessible so it will not be a hassle at all.

Very happy camper

Nice install, and perfect song to be playing at the time of your photo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:49 AM   #3642

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulmer View Post
Nice install, and perfect song to be playing at the time of your photo
Thanks! I was playing my 'Road Tunes' playlist. ~80 of my favorite car related songs Nice not to have to carry around/swap out a bunch of CDs for just 80 songs.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:39 AM   #3643

I am getting a complete detail done on my 2003. I am not sure it has been done since new.
xzyfsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:30 AM   #3644

😀😀😀
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 02:01 PM   #3645

Installed a stock 997 shifter. It got rid of the sloppy 2 to 3 shift and is a little tighter.
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:06 PM   #3646
still plays with cars...

Garage
Swapped out my hashed front engine mount.
Got my smooth idle back and lost the 3000 rpm vibrations.
Probably gained 30 hp in the deal too.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:47 AM   #3647

Yesterday I replaced the worn out trailing arms with TRW units. No more rattling from the rear when going over bumps! I should have done it a couple years ago. It was an easy job involving jacking the car up and removing two bolts per side, removing the old arm and installing the new arm. The only tricky part was moving the rear suspension to the right spot to allow the bolt holes to line up. I did this by putting a jack stand under the rotor and lowering the car, which I had jacked up by the jacking point, down onto the jack stand until the bolt holes lined up.
linklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #3648

Garage
Went to the 'Auto Lieben' All German Auto Show at Afton Alps, a local ski hill. It is organized by the local chapters of each brand's club.
It was pretty well attended, with maybe 30 or so Porsches and a similar number each of BMWs, Volkswagens, Audis, Mercedes. There was a Carrera GT, a few GT2 and GT3s, R8s and a Mercedes SLR and SLS. Here is my Boxser with a few other Porsches:

MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:46 PM   #3649

Change of wheels.....

Last edited by That986; 07-30-2017 at 10:50 PM.
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:32 PM   #3650

Purchased it last June after selling my 75 914 1.8FI.

Replaced my headlight and front sway bar drop links.

Last edited by ndfrigi; 07-31-2017 at 06:16 PM.
ndfrigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:40 PM   #3651

Upgraded My Seats Again

I installed seats from a 996TT that had been converted to a race car. They are heated and the seller said he removed them at 30,000 miles. The claimed mileage is consistent with the condition of the seats. There is very little wear and the material is supple.

The driver's seat is 12-way powered and the passenger seat is 8-way powered.

I was surprised that they were not both 12-way seats, until I found a price list that indicated the lumbar support (which is the difference between the 8 and 12-way seats) was a $385 option for each seat. I guess the original owner was more concerned with driver comfort than passenger comfort. The lumbar support is a nice upgrade.

The seller did not take great care with the removal of the seats and the electrical and mechanical parts on both seats were damaged. The driver's side require about two hours of rewiring, but the passenger seat was a challenge. Here are the pictures of the seats the seller sent me prior to the purchase. The passenger seat was torn from the base and the electrical wiring and control was damaged.

I spent about 4 hours trying to fix the damaged passenger seat. To save time, I decided to use the base from my 8-way passenger seat and just put the seat back and seat bottom from the new seats on my base. The leather was in slightly better condition than on my existing passenger seat, so it is a noticeable (but not huge) upgrade.

I plan to continue my attempt to repair the powered seat base from the 996TT. If I can figure out how to repair this seat base,

I may be able to sell on a pair of 8-way heated power seats in good condition. If not, I have a two-way (backrest powered only) seat base I can use. So, worst-case scenario is that will have a set of heated 8-way driver and 2-way passenger seats.

If anyone needs a seat upgrade, let me know.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 07-31-2017 at 05:43 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:35 AM   #3652

Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Guy View Post
Installed a stock 997 shifter. It got rid of the sloppy 2 to 3 shift and is a little tighter.
Did you find any particular set of DIY instructions more useful than others for this job? I found a 997 shifter on Rennlist and I plan to install it the next time I have a free weekend.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:59 AM   #3653

Went for a drive to PEI

It was a clear, sunny, slightly breezy Nova Scotia day, so I got the old girl out and went for a toot across the Confederation Bridge to Prince Edward Island for the day. Gorgeous!

Old 08-03-2017, 06:08 AM   #3654

leather wrapping dash bezel

Wrapping this was a real pain, for me at least ☹
Old 08-03-2017, 06:10 AM   #3655

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace River View Post
It was a clear, sunny, slightly breezy Nova Scotia day, so I got the old girl out and went for a toot across the Confederation Bridge to Prince Edward Island for the day. Gorgeous!
Where do you hide it. We were two weeks in NS and saw a grand total of 3 Porsches. None of them was a yellow Boxster.

Also, what do you do about servicing it?
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:42 AM   #3656

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
Did you find any particular set of DIY instructions more useful than others for this job? I found a 997 shifter on Rennlist and I plan to install it the next time I have a free weekend.
I've had the shifter in and out a few times, and the Function First instructions are very helpful, and include all the steps the get the console out:

FUNCTION-FIRST > Shift-Right Solution

The B&M instructions are pretty good too:

http://files.dpbrands.com/bm/instructions/45135.pdf

These two are the best in my opinion.

Of course there are these:
Porsche Boxster Short Shift Kit (SSK) Installation and Shift Bushing Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

All are pretty good, once you get in there it all makes sense.

For me the most fiddly part was getting the retaining clips off of the shifter cables so I could remove the old shifter base and put down the new shifter base.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:32 AM   #3657

Final interior veiw

Some will probably cringe, I probably went overboard on the red but It's all reversible. The leather covering can be removed. I (at the moment ) I like it ��

Last edited by JBauer; 08-03-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #3658
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
Some will probably cringe, I probably went overboard on the red but It's all reversible. The leather covering can be removed. I (at the moment ) I like it ��
Who cares what others think? It looks like you did a 'top shelf' job sir. Good on ya.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:24 PM   #3659
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Hit 1,000,000 KM!

Actually, my battery died, and after it was jumped the cluster was acting up. I have had it happen once before, very unusual issue. To fix it you have to insert the key, disconnect the negative cable from the battery, turn the key to position 1 then off, then reconnect the battery. Credit to Tool Pants for that procedure.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:17 AM   #3660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
Where do you hide it. We were two weeks in NS and saw a grand total of 3 Porsches. None of them was a yellow Boxster.

Also, what do you do about servicing it?
I'm out in it every day that's not raining, live on the north shore, 45 minutes to the COnfederation Bridge. Basic service is local but anything more than an oil change it gets taken to the dealer in Halifax.