Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2016, 08:02 AM   #2741
Okinawa986

http://www.porsche.com/museum/en/milestones/

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEJ View Post
The car came with a K&N so why not re-use it. The MAF was surprisingly clean but I cleaned it anyway. I've used K&N filters on Fuel Injected and carbureted engines for years including all of my current and past off road sand cars. I've dug into the engines of all my cars and saw no evidence that K&N filters are detrimental in any way conversely a friend insisted on using a paper air filter on his Subaru powered off road car because "If Subaru used it, it must be good". After a season or two, he lost compression and when I dismantled the engine, it was full of sand. Never saw any sand inside any of my off road engines.

If you seriously believe that Porsche knows it all and therefore you should only use their filter then think about all the things Porsche has done wrong namely the IMSB and RMS issues of late.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEJ View Post
Actually 68 years if you count the one and only 356 mid engine as the first year (1948) and not count some of Ferdinand's cars he built in the early years under different names. Same year as when I was born.
I refer to when Dr. Ferdinand Porsche first opened his own business in 1931...the beginnings of the Porsche Brand.

Porsche Milestones

Purchased May 2016
w/41.5k Miles
DRGETZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:38 PM   #2742

Installed right and left spinlocks and their retaining bolts today.

Bought them from the same ebay seller (qualityporscheparts) that I bought the rear bumper cover from last month. I was looking to see what other parts they had when I stumbled upon a set of brackets removed from a 2000 S that still had the spinlocks in them, and $30 (shipped) seemed like a pretty good deal.

Installation was pretty straight forward - only problem I had was when installing the passenger side retaining bolt there was an interference problem with the 5mm socket that I was using. I switched over to a long handled 5mm T-wrench and that took care of it.

It was 97 F here today, and I really wish my garage had A/C... I must have lost 15 lbs to sweat...

Now I'm ready for when that hard top comes along...
Old 07-22-2016, 11:17 AM   #2743

Garage
So last Friday I decided not to drive the Boxster to work. However, lunch last Friday started an interesting series of events.

While finishing lunch my right side vison went a little blurry. It's not unusual when in a dark room, with a bright sun glaring in one eye. After paying the bill and driving back to the office there was a little numbness my right hand. Like it had fallen asleep while being used to block the sun in my face. At work pressing the elevator buttons the feedback and tactile feel was not registering in my mind. It took a few tries to get the combination right for the door lock to my office area. I was greated by one of my coworkers. He spoke to me. Now, he is an intelligient person but whatever he said made zero sense. VIt was just a bunch of non sensical words. VWhich left me in an odd confusing sort of situation. When smiling, trying not to to laugh at the situation it became apparent the right side of my face was now numb. I sat down for a moment to ponder the surroundings and ponder my next steps.

I then decided to walk upstairs to a check in desk. Fortunately for me, I work in one the 10 best Medical Centers in the US and was receiving stroke treatment within minutes. A few hours later and after a dose of TPA things were starting to feel back to normal. 4 days later I was able to walk away with only one issue: Finding the cause of the blood clot.

I have driven the Boxster to three of the four doctor's appointments of this past week.

Last edited by BFeller; 07-22-2016 at 02:16 PM.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:27 AM   #2744
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Wow, scary! Happy to hear you were able to get quick treatment. You are very fortunate, sir.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:40 AM   #2745

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
While finishing lunch my right side vison went a little blurry.
no good news to hear. Sorry to hear that. Getting old myself here... getting so slow (lap time diminish every quarterly now, 1~2secs, I'm dying man).

Quick one, out of curiosity what did you eat and were you used to that food? eaten many times before?
Old 07-22-2016, 01:16 PM   #2746

Not today, but recently!

Tried my hand at crinkle paint.

Alfieg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:56 PM   #2747

Alfieg23, that looks pretty nice.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:00 PM   #2748

Thanks

Thanks, Porsche9. Unfortunately, nobody can see it unless I am working in the engine bay.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:04 PM   #2749

Garage
I like it too Alfieg23, it is just a shame that not very many will be able to see it once it's in the car
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #2750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
no good news to hear. Sorry to hear that. Getting old myself here... getting so slow (lap time diminish every quarterly now, 1~2secs, I'm dying man).

Quick one, out of curiosity what did you eat and were you used to that food? eaten many times before?
Fred, it was one of my regular lunch places and a reglar dish.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #2751

Thanks

Thanks, BruceH, I know. I guess that as long as I know it's in there, I'm OK with that.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:31 PM   #2752

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieg23 View Post
Thanks, BruceH, I know. I guess that as long as I know it's in there, I'm OK with that.
That is what's most important anyway
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:03 PM   #2753

Quote:
The only bad news I have for you is you'll have to bear us and this wonderful world for minimum another 40~50 years :/

You got lucky! Whatever you and your doctor soon find, I am 110% confident that with today's modern medicine and practices you'll be back on your feet after a week or less of recovery. In most cases easy medicines and regular follow-up is all what's required

Hang on tight there brother

(let us know)
Old 07-22-2016, 03:13 PM   #2754

Quote:
...While finishing lunch my right side vison went a little blurry...

I have driven the Boxster to three of the four doctor's appointments of this past week.
Glad you are ok! Strokes are no joke!
Old 07-23-2016, 06:47 AM   #2755

Quote:
Just curious if you've ever taken one a day dose of low-dose aspirin, or if the docs have recommended it? I had a scary situation a couple years ago and am on 81-mg aspirin every day as a slight blood thinner.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:12 AM   #2756

Garage
Prior to the stroke, I did not take aspirin daily. Every doctor wants you to take it. One of the doctors I spoke with in hospital said something funny about that: If some Doctor's had their way Lipitor, Aspirin and Fluoride would all be mixed into the water supply." Can you guess which two out of that three are now prescribed to me?

Thanks for the kind wishes. I put over 400 miles on the Boxster in the last week.

Last edited by BFeller; 07-24-2016 at 06:41 AM.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:39 PM   #2757
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Strokes are scary business. Glad to hear you are on the mend. Everyday is a gift.

My mom had a stroke in her early 50's and her mother before her in the same age range. At 58, I have been taking 81 mg aspirins for ages. My doctor grabbed me by the throat 10 years ago and said, "pay attention here." I think the Box also gets some major credit for keeping me healthy and happy. Hard to be angry and tense when driving around with the top down. Perma-grin is good for your health....
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:06 PM   #2758
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
New shifter cable ends

Shifter was feeling a little sloppy so I picked up the 2 cable ends from the dealership and swapped out the old for new. Lithium greased all the bushings and slide points while the shifter was out. Shifter now feels tighter and and more precise..

Next up replacing the sway bar bushings, thanks to Neil_b's recent Road & Race this should go quite easily. I'm also waiting for some new shifter linkage clips for the transmission end of the shifter cables. Ordered from TuneRS Motorsports and should be here tomorrow.

The fun just never ends.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:57 PM   #2759

Finally!

Today I got my 03 Base's title changer from salvage to rebuilt and got her registered!!!Bought her in N.J. and got her trucked home last November. She needed a right front fender, hood, bumper cover and a headlight as well as lots of little stuff including a small piece of unibody. A local body man welded on the new unibody piece, "Pulled" the frame a bit and I installed the bolt on stuff. He painted it and guided me thru the maze of regulations Conn. has. Conn requires the vin number of doner cars and receipts for major pieces. To make things easy I bought a non running roller and had a receipt and vin for major parts. It all worked out well and I'm looking forward to driving her tomorrow. Seal gray with 60K She'll look good beside my 01 S. Bruce
hihobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:50 AM   #2760

Garage
Congrats on surviving your stroke, and I hope it's your last. I've had two (plus a TIA) in the last two years. After the second they went in and cleaned out me left carotid artery that was 80% occluded. Good strong recovery in both cases, I've been lucky

Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote